motor rebuild questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2011, 09:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
motor rebuild questions

I had my 05 5.4 motor rebuilt because it lost oil pressure at highway speeds and locked up. When the motor was torn down it was full of sludge and the pick up tube in the oil pan was clogged up.

Anyway, $3,000.00 later and two months it loses oil pressure again during round town driving soI immediately pull over and call the mechanic.

He tears into it and says the pins inside the cam phasers on the driver side are sheared off and that would cause lose of oil pressure and that is not something replaced in a typical rebuild so I pony up $350.00 for parts only, no charge on labor.

He gets it back together and then calls me and says now the other phaser is bad to, $350.00 more dollars.

I think I'm getting the shaft!

Are cam phasers normally changed out in an engine rebuild with the history that this motor has?

Thanks for anyh input.

Malcolm

Old 05-19-2011, 01:43 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
3000.00 means you paid them around 2 grand for the engine rebuild. The R&R of the thing is worth a grand.. that dont buy much really. Basic reconditioning is all. No they wouldnt replace the cam phasers for that price.. 700 in cam phaser would put the rebuild down to 1300.. Its like a transmission rebuild. They never replace everything just the basic stuff.. I would have scrounged up a used low miles engine I would have looked long and hard for one out of an 08-11 so I got the redesigned heads the ones the spark plugs dont break in and all..

Old 05-19-2011, 05:31 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the input. I guess that makes me feel better about my mechanic.

Quick Reply: motor rebuild questions