Roller Followers Install Help!

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 07:45 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Roller Followers Install Help!

I am doing some lash adjuster work, and the rollers/rockers are a pain to get back into position. I know that the piston must be at least 2 inches from TDC, but it seems like the roller is getting stuck between the cam lobe and the lash adjuster tip making it hard to catch the valve stem. Any tips on doing this would be appreciated!

Old 08-04-2009, 08:33 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Once you get a feel for it they are pretty easy to snap back in place. Rotate the engine by hand so the cam heel (lowest part) of the cam is over the area (bottom) where the follower wil be. This gives you least resistance when replacing the follower. Then slide the valve end of the follower over the valve tip first. Next push the opposite end of the follower up against the lash adjuster tip. Try to get it as high on the lash adjuster tip as possible. I have found that usually it is easier to bleed the lash adjusters down first so there is movement in the plunger. I take a large screwdriver, place it between the cam lobe and the small dome on the follower and pry the follower up over the lash adjuster tip. It should snap right up onto it. To bleed the lash adjusters down just place them in a small vise, protect the ends with a rag or something soft and slowly compress the adjuster allowing the oil to bleed out. In some vehicles where there is no room I have loosened the cam caps (slightly) to get more clearance for the followers to snap back in place. I only do this as a last resort but it is an option. Retorque the cam caps to 8-12 NM. Good luck

Last edited by DYNOTECH; 08-04-2009 at 08:40 AM.
Old 08-04-2009, 10:46 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Good reply DYNOTECH. I needed a screw driver for mine...well lubed of course. I had a pic of someone doing it with their thumbs, but I couldn't make that happen.

Old 08-04-2009, 12:07 PM
DYNOTECH, thanks for the reply!

It sounds like i could do better with a third hand, because I'll have to compress the springs down to reinsert the rollers. I'm going to try some of your suggestions (except for loosening the camshafts!!) but should I be worried about scoring any of the metal parts with a screwdriver?

Old 08-04-2009, 03:35 PM
Originally Posted by markho
DYNOTECH, thanks for the reply!

It sounds like i could do better with a third hand, because I'll have to compress the springs down to reinsert the rollers. I'm going to try some of your suggestions (except for loosening the camshafts!!) but should I be worried about scoring any of the metal parts with a screwdriver?
Okay well I went ahead without waiting for a response and realized that I didn't need to compress the springs to install the rollers. DYNOTECH, I love you man. If it weren't for that screwdriver tip, I would have had some real problems getting the rollers in. They snapped right in by wedging the screwdriver against the lobe and pushing the roller tip (lash end) towrd the lash. SNapp!!! Thanks man!!!

Old 08-04-2009, 05:04 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm glad it went well for you. Good job! Take care.

Quick Reply: Roller Followers Install Help!