Hypertech installed .... now my truck cuts off?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2009, 05:27 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hypertech installed .... now my truck cuts off?

Installed hypertech pp3 41043 on my 04 5.4 3v yesterday and drove a good 7 hours last night and so far i have been pleased.... until today. First i punched it at 45 to see what it would do, about 5,000 rpms it sounded like it was knocking (the motor) so i backed off and just eased around and it ran fine, no smoke, nothing; i then pulled into a neighborhood and turned around, put it in reverse and as i put it into drive it just died on me. idled really low and died. Started right back up and since then its been fine, just idles low.... is this normal? (the knocking and shutting off). also maybe i can get some help with my tunes, i tow a tandum axle trailer during the week with a couple lawn mowers and i tow a 20ft. ski boat sometimes, other than that im running 35's and guy at hypertech told me to tune it on 87 octane, +500 rev limit and +300 on shift points and raise the shift firmness.... is this okay or should i lower it?

Old 07-19-2009, 11:25 AM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Shouldn't have bought a Hypertech, like we warned you.

Old 07-20-2009, 03:55 AM
dude, i know! Im on day 2 now and im really regretting it. Even for 150 i feel like i got robbed.

Old 07-20-2009, 04:01 AM

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
do you have a CAI????

Old 07-20-2009, 04:12 PM
Former Sponsor
Originally Posted by 2004Lariat5.4
Installed hypertech pp3 41043 on my 04 5.4 3v yesterday and drove a good 7 hours last night and so far i have been pleased.... until today. First i punched it at 45 to see what it would do, about 5,000 rpms it sounded like it was knocking (the motor) so i backed off and just eased around and it ran fine, no smoke, nothing; i then pulled into a neighborhood and turned around, put it in reverse and as i put it into drive it just died on me. idled really low and died. Started right back up and since then its been fine, just idles low.... is this normal? (the knocking and shutting off). also maybe i can get some help with my tunes, i tow a tandum axle trailer during the week with a couple lawn mowers and i tow a 20ft. ski boat sometimes, other than that im running 35's and guy at hypertech told me to tune it on 87 octane, +500 rev limit and +300 on shift points and raise the shift firmness.... is this okay or should i lower it?
That's not normal at all and I'm surprised that it would run fine for a 7 hour drive then start acting up. Did you get a check engine light? Have you tried programming back to stock to see if the idle is still low? That's just me going off the top of my head and to really get help you'll need to call tech support.

Old 07-20-2009, 08:12 PM
no CAI, no check engine light, but while reprogramming my truck for the second time for some reason i threw two codes: p1000 and p1635. They went away and didnt come back but it found that weird and so did the tech support guy. But im not the only one, i have two friends who also have hypertechs and their trucks did the same exact thing (idle real low and shut off a few times). My knocking noise has gone away and my truck is starting to feel a lot better but it still idles around 400-500 rpms while in gear, just like my friends trucks. my truck idles just fine while in stock mode, right around 700-800 rpms. And i called tech support and they told me the same thing, "well try and reprogram it, set it to stock, blah blah!" Imho, i think hypertechs are just decent (at best). Not worth paying for tho, im still questioning if $150 was worth it. Next step, sell this thing asap and get a gryphon from PHP. Rest assured i will never buy or refer a hypertech to anyone ever again. Maybe a flashpaq by superchips or an edge evo, at least with one of those you can tell a difference in hp and dont have to deal with the rpm issues. But im done with canned tunes, sucks i had to learn the hard way. Gryphon here i come!

Old 07-20-2009, 09:22 PM
I would say try to get your money back if you can, my buddy bought one for his Chevy 2500 and was pissed cause he doesnt think it does anything. I just bought a Gryphon and love it, still waiting for my custom tunes but the canned tunes are a huge noticeable difference as well. I also love the display center, it makes driving around more interesting as your watching your MPG's, tranny temp, digital RPM's and all sorts of other stuff.

Old 07-21-2009, 07:12 AM
yeah i would but it was a like a closing sale and i doubt i could get my money back. no biggie tho these go for around 200 on ebay and i baught it for 150 so i dont think ill have a problem getting rid of it. and the only time you feel a hypertech is if you are stompin the gas, you can feel a little then but nothing even close to what i was wanting.

Quick Reply: Hypertech installed .... now my truck cuts off?