back flushing radiator

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2009, 04:03 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
back flushing radiator

okay guys im ready to back flush my car and have bought a back flush system at hf. IT tells me to cut the heater hose and place this plastic tee to it and put the clamps on and insert the water hose to the tee to back flush. Now when i do this do i leave the drain plug open the whole time i am doing the flush and also would it be a good idea to have a second water hose running clean water into the radiator while the other hose is connected to the t and the heater hose. Its a 302 and it needs flushing bad any advice will help thanks looking forward to your replies.

Old 07-12-2009, 08:35 PM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
The T does it all. Leave the rad cap off, connect the water hose to the T and turn it on. When you have just water coming out it is flushed. If your block has a drain remove the plug and drain the block. Saturday I flushed my 5.4. I removed the cap on the expansion tank. Unscrewed the rad drain plug and the engine block plug. I then removed the thermostat and used the garden hose to fill the expansion tank. When the water was up to the thermostat housing I removed the hose and put it in the rad hose. I then went back to the thermostat housing on the engine and put the garden hose into that. When nothing but water was coming out of the drains I turned off the hose. When nothing was coming out of the block and rad I put the plugs back and filled the expansion with 50/50 mix antifreeze/demineralized water tank till the thermostat housing was full. I then installed a new thermostat and connected the rad hose. I filled the expansion tank and started the engine. I ran it for about 20 minutes keeping the expansion tank at the full level. The flush fill was done.

Old 07-12-2009, 09:08 PM
ok thanks so i just leave the radiator cap off and connect to the T now where does the old stuff go? Does it just come out of the radiator neck or do i loosen the drain plug on the radiator for the old stuff to come out. Sorry for the stupid Questions im new at doing this and dont want to screw anything up

Last edited by KingRanchCoy; 07-12-2009 at 09:10 PM.
Old 07-12-2009, 09:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

just do it with a cool engine.

Old 07-13-2009, 02:53 AM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Here is a link to the Prestone kit instructions.

Regards

Jean Marc Chartier

Old 07-13-2009, 04:15 AM
glc
Received 756 Likes on 702 Posts
Leave the rad cap off and the drain closed. When the stuff coming out the top of the rad is clean and clear, turn off the hose and open the drains.

Old 07-13-2009, 11:44 PM
Originally Posted by glc
Leave the rad cap off and the drain closed. When the stuff coming out the top of the rad is clean and clear, turn off the hose and open the drains.
Thanks guys i was having a major brain fart and finally figured out that the thing that goes into the radiator cap is where the dirty water comes out. THanks once again

Old 07-13-2009, 11:53 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When you take the thermostat housing off, just make sure not to get water in the sparkplug wells. I just changed a set otu in my 4.6. They were overdue. But the bad thing was that at sometime, somhow #6 had gotten some water in it The plug wire looked pretty bad and the plug was rusted up also.

Quick Reply: back flushing radiator