Autolite spark plugs vs. Champion one piece

Old 07-13-2009, 07:56 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by posttal
Dude I'v CHANGED more of them than you have TALKED about..and conventional wisdom not only works but to ignore it causes the problems usually performed by backyard mechanics and younger kids that THINK there mechanics because daddy bought them a tool box.
Plugs have been breaking in this EXACT manner for years..mostly in cars that were maintenence was ignored..The Quad 4's were a prime example..coil on plug equaled ignoring it untill the plugs became part of the engine..so this may be new to you but NOT to the industry..sorry.
Yeah the Tritons exhibit this problem a bit more but ALL the direct fire ignition systems show this problem because the plugs are harder to change thus people DON'T change them until its too late.
As far as hating autolite plugs..are you on drugs..sounds like it..go back to reading..while some of us actually DO it.
And the people that are breaking them have no buisness working on them..
As stated above somewhere..a guy said his dealer has NEVER broke a plug on one...thats because REAL mechanics know what there doing..unlike backyard internet mechanics.

Hey and I saw on the internet that cows ****ting in the pasture causes excess methane gas causing global warming...guess you believe that to !!

God are you ignorent..and I mean that in the nicest way since I dont personally know you.BUT its people like you that paid for my truck and vett..boat and house...thank you very much.
Stick to what you know..doing google searches.

Posttal AKA Ralph
http://www.lorileedesigns.com/files/...phsCorner.html
Love your little web site. Are you about 4 or 5 years old?

Reading your post , and your bragging, just makes me wonder.

What kind of a mechanic are you? Are you the type that would cheat a person on the job you're working, just so you can milk more money out of them. I wonder sometimes, are there any honest professional mechanics left.
Most people that do a job, are held accountable for the work they do. A place like this is pretty cool for some one outside the profession, to learn how to defend themselves from crooks.

On another note. I'm willing to bet , that most people here make more money than you.

So go ahead and brag, people like you drop by here occasionally, you're no different.

noob!

Old 07-13-2009, 08:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well I'm not going to get into a pissing contest with you guys.
But for the person that asked..I'm a fleet mechanic for the U.S.P.S we run the second largest fleet of vehicles in the US second only to the US military.All our wreckers here in cleveland are Fords ..except for a few big Internationals..and 3/4 are newer with Tritons powering them..All our pick up trucks here are Tritons..these cover all the maintenence trucks used by our electricians,inspectors and building maintenence..as are most Postal inspectors..the actual mail trucks are older V6 fords based on the ranger platform and 4cyl chevy's based on the s-10 platform.We're sent for training on a regular basis and updated on REAL world problems that WE encounter ..we have our own TSB's based on problems WE encountered across the U.S...and we're then trained in how to maintain our fleet.Our schools which are in Oklahoma hire GM and FORD trainers..And they tell us...there BIGGEST customers things that they dont seem to want the general public to know.
For the record I'v NEVER broke a plug..I'v removed a few broken ones when I was working for the general public..but to be honest not on this motor since I'v been with the post office for the past 12 years.
Our vehicles are worse that rental cars..there abused.BUT we used FORD plugs and antiseize them when installing..and ..and this is important..we dont over tighten them.
You seem to disagree..I dont know what you base your experience on..or if its just from TSB..the TSB's Ford WANTS to share..and thats fine..and your opinion.But the facts speak for themselves.
And for the record ford TSB pretty much suck..in my opinion.Before working for the USPS I worked for Ganley Ford here in town for 5 yrs..BP Procare as a master tech for 13 yrs and Goodyear as a mater tech for 6..not to mention the little local shops that we all start out at.
My personal truck a 2006 5.4 Lariat had the plugs checked when I bought it..pulled,antiseized and reinstall since they were double plat and looked like new.I'm 50 yrs old ..been making a living doing this since 78 and I'm sorry but I don't go by the book..I go by what WORKS.I find that a lot of the books were written by people with less experience and real world hands on than me.
I'm not trying to be ****y..but again..I work on them daily and we..the VMF mechanics in Cleveland DONT break plugs..And I attribute that to the PM we do on them and the way we install them..knowing that we will be the ones taking them out and servicing these motors in the future.
You guys do what works best for you..but next time you break a plug keep this posting in mine.And in turn after YOU have changed literally hundreds of these plugs and YOU do it without breaking one then the drinks are on me.

Posttal AKA Ralph

Old 07-13-2009, 08:32 PM
Originally Posted by jbrew
Ralph, there has been an Autolite problem in the 2valves dating back to 97. The 103's (double platinums) are the wrong heat range for the 97-03 models.

If you knew your stuff, you would know that Honeywell manufactures both Autolite and Motorcraft. The Motorcraft heat range is Ford spec, the Autolite is not.

So, wrong heat range = bad thermal performance, believe or not some plugs don't make the cut. Well, you know how it works, the temperature of the spark plug's firing end must be kept low enough to prevent pre-ignition, but high enough to prevent fouling. - Determined by the heat range. Spark plugs do not create heat, they only remove heat. They pull unwanted thermal energy away from the combustion chamber, and transfer the heat to the engine's cooling system.

So, the heat range is defined as a plug's ability to dissipate heat. This has been an on going problem with the Autolite & Bosch spark plugs. They don't transfer/dissipate adequately. The plugs over heat and begin to fail.

Motorcraft,Denso's and NGK meet spec and all work fine in the modulars.

That covers the 2 valve.

The 3valve. Now that's just crazy - Even the best of the best has snapped a few off.

You must NOT work on these Fords that much because you certainly don't know them. There's quite a few techs on this site that know their stuff, stick around if you wanna learn some things.
good info on the 2v triton on the knowledge available here on the board great advice!
i will be sticking around

Last edited by inthezone; 07-13-2009 at 08:34 PM.
Old 07-13-2009, 09:25 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Dude I'v CHANGED more of them than you have TALKED about..and conventional wisdom not only works but to ignore it causes the problems usually performed by backyard mechanics and younger kids that THINK there mechanics because daddy bought them a tool box.
Plugs have been breaking in this EXACT manner for years..mostly in cars that were maintenence was ignored..The Quad 4's were a prime example..coil on plug equaled ignoring it untill the plugs became part of the engine..so this may be new to you but NOT to the industry..sorry.
Yeah the Tritons exhibit this problem a bit more but ALL the direct fire ignition systems show this problem because the plugs are harder to change thus people DON'T change them until its too late.
As far as hating autolite plugs..are you on drugs..sounds like it..go back to reading..while some of us actually DO it.
As stated above somewhere..a guy said his dealer has NEVER broke a plug on one...thats because REAL mechanics know what there doing..unlike backyard internet mechanics.

Hey and I saw on the internet that cows ****ting in the pasture causes excess methane gas causing global warming...guess you believe that to !!

God are you ignorent..and I mean that in the nicest way since I dont personally know you.BUT its people like you that paid for my truck and vett..boat and house...thank you very much.

Posttal AKA Ralph
The ignition system has precisely **** squat to do with the plugs seizing up and breaking off in the cylinder head.

Jackasses like you give me headaches. I wish I could turn back the internets and prevent myself from reading your words, I feel stupider because of it.

Old 07-13-2009, 09:53 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well I'm not going to get into a pissing contest with you guys.
But for the person that asked..I'm a fleet mechanic for the U.S.P.S we run the second largest fleet of vehicles in the US second only to the US military.All our wreckers here in cleveland are Fords ..except for a few big Internationals..and 3/4 are newer with Tritons powering them..All our pick up trucks here are Tritons..these cover all the maintenence trucks used by our electricians,inspectors and building maintenence..as are most Postal inspectors..the actual mail trucks are older V6 fords based on the ranger platform and 4cyl chevy's based on the s-10 platform.We're sent for training on a regular basis and updated on REAL world problems that WE encounter ..we have our own TSB's based on problems WE encountered across the U.S...and we're then trained in how to maintain our fleet.Our schools which are in Oklahoma hire GM and FORD trainers..And they tell us...there BIGGEST customers things that they dont seem to want the general public to know.
For the record I'v NEVER broke a plug..I'v removed a few broken ones when I was working for the general public..but to be honest not on this motor since I'v been with the post office for the past 12 years.
Our vehicles are worse that rental cars..there abused.BUT we used FORD plugs and antiseize them when installing..and ..and this is important..we dont over tighten them.
You seem to disagree..I dont know what you base your experience on..or if its just from TSB..the TSB's Ford WANTS to share..and thats fine..and your opinion.But the facts speak for themselves.
And for the record ford TSB pretty much suck..in my opinion.Before working for the USPS I worked for Ganley Ford here in town for 5 yrs..BP Procare as a master tech for 13 yrs and Goodyear as a mater tech for 6..not to mention the little local shops that we all start out at.
My personal truck a 2006 5.4 Lariat had the plugs checked when I bought it..pulled,antiseized and reinstall since they were double plat and looked like new.I'm 50 yrs old ..been making a living doing this since 78 and I'm sorry but I don't go by the book..I go by what WORKS.I find that a lot of the books were written by people with less experience and real world hands on than me.
I'm not trying to be ****y..but again..I work on them daily and we..the VMF mechanics in Cleveland DONT break plugs..And I attribute that to the PM we do on them and the way we install them..knowing that we will be the ones taking them out and servicing these motors in the future.
You guys do what works best for you..but next time you break a plug keep this posting in mine.And in turn after YOU have changed literally hundreds of these plugs and YOU do it without breaking one then the drinks are on me.

Posttal AKA Ralph

Most of us have other careers, and this is our hobby and relaxation.
In my early years I was a contract mechanic for UPS. All we did was exchange parts and send them in for remanufacture, as I'm sure is the same practice as today.

"Everyone is ignorant.
But only on different subjects"
Will Rogers

Old 07-13-2009, 10:16 PM

Posttal AKA Ralph
1 the quad 4 wasnt cop, it was idi(integrated direct ignition)
2 plugs seizing to the heads by the thread isnt the problem with the 3v engines. the problem is the ground sleeve sticks to the carbon buildup in the combustion chamber causing the sleeve to break and stay in the head sometimes with the porcelin inside it. heres an exaple of what happens
taken out of 5.4 3v engine.
i'll bet you that more people dont change there plugs due to not having any problems over access issues.
3 you had better do some research yourself- autolite plugs in the 2v modular engines dont last near as long as motorcraft. sometimes they misfire after 40 miles or so. they have proven to be decent so far in the 3v engines.
reading your post above i dont even think you've ever seen the 2 piece 3v spark plug. i bet your the type that uses bosch for everything

since you obviously know nothing about the modular fords, you may want to consider a little bit of study time with the search feature.

Old 07-13-2009, 11:24 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
This thread has gotten out of hand. Officially closed now.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Autolite spark plugs vs. Champion one piece