Knocking noise V8 5.4L Triton

Old 06-21-2009, 07:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Knocking noise V8 5.4L Triton

I hope you guys can help. I have a 2004 Expedition with a V8 5.4L Triton with 53384 miles. I drove it Friday and everything was fine. Saturday I drove it a short distance and heard a knocking sound. It seemed to go away when I got up to spend, but at idle and revving the engine it knocks. I have not driven it since, because I am afraid I might make it worse. Any ideas? Thank you in advance.

Lynn

Old 06-21-2009, 07:59 PM
is it a low rpm knock? maybe the cam phasers? the early 3v engines had issues with them making some noise.

Old 06-21-2009, 08:13 PM
Not sure, I first noticed it when I was pulling out from a stop and it seemed to go away when I got up to speed. Changed the oil this am. When it is cranked and sitting idle you can hear the knocking. I am praying it is not a rod knocking.

Thank you for your help!

Old 06-21-2009, 08:25 PM
Originally Posted by Expedition10
Not sure, I first noticed it when I was pulling out from a stop and it seemed to go away when I got up to speed. Changed the oil this am. When it is cranked and sitting idle you can hear the knocking. I am praying it is not a rod knocking.

Thank you for your help!
ok. can you hear where its coming from? top end? bottom end? left side? right side? front? what kind of oil and filter do you use?

Old 06-21-2009, 08:32 PM
It is in the garage so it is kinda hard to tell but it sounds like top passenger side, just put in Castrol 10w30 and replaced oil filter w/a fram,(which from reading some other posts might have been a mistake) there was a parts plus oil filter in it, and the oil it it was either 10w30 or 10w40.

Old 06-21-2009, 08:55 PM
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
Welcome to the website. There's a wealth of info here and the search button is yer friend. I'll assume that you bought the truck used and have no owners manual. Otherwise you would have read that the 5.4, especially the 3V engines, require 5w-20 oil. The phasers use the oil pressure to properly activate. Use a thicker oil and you have basically screwed up the cam timing. Run the wrong oil long enough and you can overload the locking pin in the phaser and end up having to replace the phaser as it won't unlock. That's over $1000.00 to replace. I'd suggest you get the correct oil in it ASAP and as a MAYBE helpful hint, I'd have Royal Purple 5w-20 oil put in it. The RP Oil is a mostly PAO base oil and it just might make the phaser turn loose. PAO oils have more solvency and any junk, sludge, etc that MAYBE causing the pin to stick can be removed using it. It's a long shot at best but it's something I'd try before spending over a grand to have it fixed.
Look at the owners manual here:
http://www.motorcraftservice.com/vdi...CLE=Expedition

Old 06-21-2009, 08:55 PM
Originally Posted by Expedition10
It is in the garage so it is kinda hard to tell but it sounds like top passenger side, just put in Castrol 10w30 and replaced oil filter w/a fram,(which from reading some other posts might have been a mistake) there was a parts plus oil filter in it, and the oil it it was either 10w30 or 10w40.
alright. well you should use a 5w___ oil. it helps for startup. so damage has been done fromheavier than recommended oil and the fram. i would have someone look at it.

Old 06-21-2009, 09:13 PM
Why would an oil and lube place put in the wrong oil? Ok, so I need to change the oil to 5w_. I don't recall seeing a 5w20, i believe there was a 5w30, would that be ok? Does autozone carry the Royal purple? Once the oil is changed to a 5w_ should I let it idle or take a test run to see if the knocking stops? Any idea how much damage could have been done. I haven't driven it more than 15 miles once it started knocking, I got home and parked it. Sorry for all the questions, but as a woman I want to be informed before I take it to a shop or the dealer. I really appreciate the help. Thank you so much!

Old 06-21-2009, 09:16 PM
Thanks for the link to the owner's manuel....you are correct I bought it used and no manuel.

Old 06-21-2009, 09:33 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Welcome to this site.
While I do not have any first hand experience with your engine, I have read time after time in this Forum, that a Motor Craft filter and 5 w 20 oil has solved this problem when people have it.

I'll never understand why people take the owners manual out of an Auto and leave it out, but it seems to happen often.

As far as a super lube type place putting the wrong oil in it, it is very possible. A lot of these places have inexperienced help that only know the basics of what they are doing.

Good luck.

Old 06-21-2009, 09:41 PM
Thanks, Tumba, are you saying that changing the oil and the filter might fix the problem? I have only had the truck a little over 2 years and I love it. I have had no problems with it since I bought it except this and the a/c, but that was just hoses that needed to be replaced. I really hope this is as simple as changing the oil to the right weight. Thanks again!

Old 06-21-2009, 09:52 PM
Like it was stated, these oil change places hire minimum wage folks and all they are looking for is a body- brains not required. IF, and remember that's an IF, it is the phasers, you stand about a 10-15% chance that the right oil will correct the issue. Most often when these pins get jammed into the lock ring- it's terminal. If you have a mechanic that you know that is ASE Certified, you might have him take a look at it to make sure it's the phaser and not another issue. Regardless, I'd find somebody that has a clue about your truck to do the maintenance on it and get away from the quicky oil lube joints. I've seen the wrong oil in engines and I've also seen where the morons put automatic transmission fluid in the engine. Obviously, the folks that are servicing your truck either don't care or are too stupid to know what they are doing. Best of luck.

Old 06-21-2009, 10:00 PM
Thank you Labnerd, should I drive it after I change the oil to 5w20, or should I have it towed to a repair shop or the dealer to prevent futher damage. I didn't notice any change in the ride or drive other than the noise.

Old 06-21-2009, 10:12 PM
We are ASSUMING that it is the cam phasers. But we can't see it or hear it thru the internet. If it's the phasers or one of the phasers, it won't hurt it to drive it to the mechanics shop but I wouldn't suggest leaving on a long distance trip with it. There are other things that can cause knocking noises in these engines. Some can be catastrophic and some can be easily corrected. If your sure it's knocking on the top end of the engine, I'd drive it to the shop but that's your call. Safest way is behind a wrecker.

Old 06-21-2009, 10:17 PM
Thanks so much. I searched for ASE cert, none local, so I guess my best bet is the dealer. I will let y'all know the outcome. Thanks so much for the advice!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Knocking noise V8 5.4L Triton