Knocking noise V8 5.4L Triton

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 10:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I might look at the possibility of a broken exhaust manifold bolt or blown exhaust manifold gasket. Just my .02

Old 06-24-2009, 11:44 PM
Lab, just saw your edit about getting a complete description. I will make sure to do that in the am and let y'all know. I am just so frustrated. I drive the truck all the time and noticed the noise right off the bat. I can't believe it is needs a new engine...it still drives perfectly, just knocks, still has the same power it did before, no stutters, nothing seemed different, just the freakin knocking out of the blue. Sorry, for the rant..I will update tomorrow after I talk to the dealer again. Thanks to all of you for the advice.

Lynn

Old 06-25-2009, 11:29 AM
I just got off the phone with Ford Customer Service....nothing they can do to help. No warranty, no recall, and no customer satisfaction plan for my truck.

Old 06-25-2009, 11:34 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I would want to see the torn down engine. I would want to see what they did to diagnoss it. I would try to find a 08 engine so the 2 peice plug isse and the faulty cam phaser issue werent going to bite me in the future. Maybe you could find an engine out of a newer totaled truck used save some money and get the better engine.

Old 06-25-2009, 11:40 AM
I don't think they tore down the engine. I think they just ran diagnostics..

Old 06-25-2009, 11:47 AM
If it comes down to replacing the engine and it sounds like it will I would go to carparts.com and see what they have. you can most likely get a very low miles 5.4 out of a 08 F-150 ( I looked and there are 5-6 of them listed all for way less) No more cam phaser problem and no more Spark plug breaking off in the head problem and you save some mony plus I would rather have an engine that was assembled in the factory if the dealer sells you one its a REMANUFACTURED one. That 5 grand isnt for a NEW motor.

Old 06-25-2009, 12:22 PM
Because of reading some of the posts here, I asked if that was new or reman. She said that it was a reman. but had a 3 yr/100,000 mile warranty, if I wanted a new one it only came with a 12/12000 warranty....does this sound right???

Would it be hard to replace the engine ourselves and would a used one from carparts.com have a good warranty?

Old 06-25-2009, 12:42 PM
did they ever tell you what they think broke in the engine as to why they say it needs a new one? seems a little fishy to me if you say it still has all of the power that it had before it started knocking and they say it has to be replaced. you would definitly notice a power loss if you lost a rod or piston in the engine or one of the valves were colasped or cam shaft broke or something. the only way i would see that it needed a new engine is if you broke a rod and it went through the side of the block or a piston seized in the bore. pretty much anything else can be fixed as far as cams, valves and such it would just need new heads or somthing. but you should deffinitly get another opinion on the engine from somewhere else. me personnaly i have no faith in dealers at all. is there anyway for you to get a sound clip of the engine running and post it on here. is there any oil or water leaking anywhere on the motor or any smoke coming from the exhaust at all?

Last edited by jrfonte; 06-25-2009 at 12:46 PM.
Old 06-25-2009, 12:54 PM
Originally Posted by Expedition10
Because of reading some of the posts here, I asked if that was new or reman. She said that it was a reman. but had a 3 yr/100,000 mile warranty, if I wanted a new one it only came with a 12/12000 warranty....does this sound right???

Would it be hard to replace the engine ourselves and would a used one from carparts.com have a good warranty?
You would have to be capable with a wrench to do it yourself. I wouldnt do it if your have never r&r-ed an engine before.
You would have to contact the wrecking yard to see what the warrenty is.

Old 06-25-2009, 12:55 PM
glc
Received 757 Likes on 702 Posts
I will repeat - find a different dealer. That is a total copout trying to sell you a new engine without opening it up. Just telling you that "something broke" is blowing serious smoke.

Old 06-25-2009, 12:58 PM
yea i would do like glc said on that

Old 06-25-2009, 01:01 PM
Originally Posted by glc
I will repeat - find a different dealer. That is a total copout trying to sell you a new engine without opening it up. Just telling you that "something broke" is blowing serious smoke.
I agree. I would take it some where else.. Especially if there diagnostics dosent add up. Really sounds like a cam phaser problem.

Old 06-25-2009, 01:22 PM
Ok, just got back from the dealer.....this is BS...their diagnostic was....they listened to it...WTH...and decided it has "something" broke at the top and the bottom. the sound from the bottom sounds like an echo from the top. I am having it towed this afternoon to a local repair shop. If it does need a motor, IF, the local shop has the same warranty 3 yrs/100,000 and the order from Jasper. Anyone know anything about Jasper?

No smoke, no water, except what comes from the A/C, no oil leak. Full power, just knocking sound. When you lay your hand on top of the engine you can feel the knock.

Will keep y'all updated. Sorry this thread has gotten so long. Thanks to all of y'all for the advice.

LYNN

Old 06-25-2009, 01:42 PM
so they dont know what broke in the engine but it needs a new engine because something broke. there fos. i wouldnt buy a new engine till it got tore down and the cause of the knocking is discovered. it may just be something in the head to do with the cams and valves.

Old 06-25-2009, 01:50 PM
I agree JR they are FOS...just got off the phone with the local repair shop....if it is the engine they charge $3000 more than the dealership ($8300 vs $5200), but he said they would check it over and see what they could find. A friend went with me to the dealer and said he thinks it might be a lifter. again, I have no clue. If I can get back to it I will try and make an audio clip to post. Thanks again.

Quick Reply: Knocking noise V8 5.4L Triton