Rear engine coolant leak

Old 03-29-2010, 09:43 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Ya I sat here and wrote a freakin book then realized how old it was....LOL

Old 03-29-2010, 10:37 PM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Yea, Ive done that before, - 5 -7 year old threads. Sortuh have to be careful commmeting in the old ones, - specially if you posted in the thread way back whenever. You might end up in an argument with yourself without realizing it , right off anyway lol -

Found a pic of a Ford Reman with the heater hose mod.

Old 02-06-2013, 12:42 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Thanks Jbrew

I know it's an old thread but thanks jbrew for the correct info. I thought it was the water pump but was confused that the water was gushing back of the block. So I went ahead and pulled the pump out and (don't laugh) the radiator, alternator, and fan cover. Obviously I'm not a mechanic or have any common sense when It comes to cars. Anyhow I filled it with water to test it and make sure the fix was complete but immediately found out it was a failed attempt. But with the posts from jbrew and along with a few tips from others on this thread i will start my journey with the repair. So I have another problem which I keep reading different suggestions on. This question goes to the king of this thread Jbrew . Hopefully you a have a 4x4, well I own a 97 f150 with the 4.6L. It is a 4 wheel drive truck and I'm the second owner of the truck. The 4Lo doesn't engage but when turn the switch it clicks almost similar as it would when it did work. Some say it is module, others say it is a sensor. I can't afford to pay a shop or mechanic for the labor so I have my whole faith in this forum. I use my truck for hunting and love the ugly terrain so I need my 4x4. Sorry So Long

Old 02-06-2013, 05:32 AM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
No problem, yea, all you have to do is search. You can come up with a wealth of info right after hitting that "Enter" key.

And around here, -it's correct info.

Old 11-26-2014, 11:34 AM
Wp stem

If I'm looking for more info on the wp stem fix, what can I search? Nothing is coming up

Old 12-13-2018, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by REDBIRD4rmPHX
I know it's an old thread but thanks jbrew for the correct info. I thought it was the water pump but was confused that the water was gushing back of the block. So I went ahead and pulled the pump out and (don't laugh) the radiator, alternator, and fan cover. Obviously I'm not a mechanic or have any common sense when It comes to cars. Anyhow I filled it with water to test it and make sure the fix was complete but immediately found out it was a failed attempt. But with the posts from jbrew and along with a few tips from others on this thread i will start my journey with the repair. So I have another problem which I keep reading different suggestions on. This question goes to the king of this thread Jbrew . Hopefully you a have a 4x4, well I own a 97 f150 with the 4.6L. It is a 4 wheel drive truck and I'm the second owner of the truck. The 4Lo doesn't engage but when turn the switch it clicks almost similar as it would when it did work. Some say it is module, others say it is a sensor. I can't afford to pay a shop or mechanic for the labor so I have my whole faith in this forum. I use my truck for hunting and love the ugly terrain so I need my 4x4. Sorry So Long
Hey Guys! Even if you end up responding a solution to an old thread, that's a good thing! I've read a million, watched twice as many videos, done hours and hours of work, starting at the truck, climbing all up under the hood, under the truck, I can't find the source where the water is coming out, straight out as I pour it in resivour tank it's coming out just as fast! There has to be a hose in the back of the engine from resivour that is disconnected!!!
it looks like it's coming out around the tranny straight across a waterfall gushing, until empty.
It's not the metal pipe that travels from heater core to water pump, I already repaired that. I'm reaching out looking for directions!! Would be nice if the mechanic fairy would just handle it, but he's been out helping those that need right brake light bulbs and blinker oil! :-)
any help is appreciated!!
F150 with the Triton 5.4

Old 12-13-2018, 07:53 PM
glc
Received 754 Likes on 700 Posts
Freeze plug.

Old 09-05-2019, 12:31 AM
Thanks so very much for this old post!

Thank goodness I found this old post! Unfortunately we learned a few things. For us it wasnt the orings ,the pipe itself had a hole in it. Secondly in the picture posted further up the thread showing the nipple the pipe hooks to, you see that bolt looking piece that seams to mount into the block? Well do a good inspection on that and its wires! Because if you don't LISTEN TO YOUR WIFE .. WHO HAPPENED TO HAVE GONE TO SCHOOL FOR AUTO MECHANICS (Yrs ago mind you) you ignore her recomendations and you dont replace that piece with the very frayed looking wire insulation. That's been drowning in coolant for god knows how long and now 2 days after reassembling your truck.. the lovely knock sensor code is thrown.. wanna guess where the knock sensor is?? Yup there.. rant over ..

Old 01-26-2022, 09:25 AM
Dee Mcdowell,.. Waterfall

Originally Posted by Dee McDowell
Hey Guys! Even if you end up responding a solution to an old thread, that's a good thing! I've read a million, watched twice as many videos, done hours and hours of work, starting at the truck, climbing all up under the hood, under the truck, I can't find the source where the water is coming out, straight out as I pour it in resivour tank it's coming out just as fast! There has to be a hose in the back of the engine from resivour that is disconnected!!!
it looks like it's coming out around the tranny straight across a waterfall gushing, until empty.
It's not the metal pipe that travels from heater core to water pump, I already repaired that. I'm reaching out looking for directions!! Would be nice if the mechanic fairy would just handle it, but he's been out helping those that need right brake light bulbs and blinker oil! :-)
any help is appreciated!!
F150 with the Triton 5.4
Did you ever find the source of the waterfall??? My 08 f150 with the 5.4l is doin thr same thing. Just finished replacing all the timing components and was filling ot up with all new fluids, started to fill the overflow reservoir and got the first gallon of coolant in with no issue, but when I started to add the 2nd gallon it sounded like a waterfall and I still can't find a definite source of where it's coming from. I'd hate to tear into the intake manifold since I just got done putting half of those parts back together after the timing job. Truck starts up and sounds great with new phasers now I wanna drive it to feel how much better it runs but can't until I solve this coolant issue. Thanks for any help to solve this.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rear engine coolant leak