Go Back   F150online Forums > Powertrain & Mechanical > V8 Engines
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?


Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-24-2009, 12:10 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: aptos, ca
Vehicle: 2001 ford f150
Posts: 144
bad oil pressure sensor or lost oil pump?

so, my 245K 5.4L 2001 engine is feeling its years.

last week, the oil light was slow to go off. but it did finally go off.

today, its slow to go off, then it comes on for a good pressure reading, then goes to dead, then hops back up! its weird.

my oil level is fine, but i don't know whether i have a flakey oil pressure sensor or a failing oil pump; any suggestions/wisdom? i sure dont want to roast the engine...

thx, jackc...
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-24-2009, 02:13 AM
Suspended
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: MI
Vehicle: 1998 Ford F150 5.4L 4X4
Posts: 25,636
Just one, don't drive it , start or crank it until you find the problem.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-24-2009, 03:48 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Panama City
Vehicle: 1998 FORD F150
Posts: 23
My 2000 did the same thing and i replaced the sending unit and it fixed my problem.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-24-2009, 11:04 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: mass.
Vehicle: 2008 ford 150
Posts: 1,981
245k and it doesnt burn or leak any oil?? never rebuilt?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-24-2009, 11:31 AM
glc glc is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Joplin MO
Vehicle: 2003 Ford F150
Posts: 28,876
A new sender is cheap, I'd try that first on general principle.
__________________
2003 F-150 XL RCSB 2wd 4.2 M5OD 3.55 LS
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-24-2009, 11:35 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: >wwOwww<
Vehicle: 1997 F150
Posts: 1,510
Sludge in your oil pan can also cause an engine to act this way. I bought a used 98, that acted the same way. After checking everything I could from outside the engine, I dropped the oil pan. Sure enough it had sludge in it, and would stop the strainer up on longer drives. I cleaned it up good, and have now put another 100,000 on it. I would start by checking the wiring and the sending unit. If the problem persists, I would then run a can of seafoam through the crankcase, and change the oil.
Is the oil really nasty when you change it? Does the oil run out slowly when you change it?
When I checked the truck over when I bought it. It apparently had just been changed because the dipstick came up clear. My Son put about 2000 miles on it before the problem showed itself. He went on the first out of town trip, {that I know of} when he called me because the engine shut down. The pressure Gage {until that day} was showing good throughout the ordeal. But in the end it came out OK.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-24-2009, 12:26 PM
Suspended
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: MI
Vehicle: 1998 Ford F150 5.4L 4X4
Posts: 25,636
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumba View Post
Sludge in your oil pan can also cause an engine to act this way. I bought a used 98, that acted the same way. After checking everything I could from outside the engine, I dropped the oil pan. Sure enough it had sludge in it, and would stop the strainer up on longer drives. I cleaned it up good, and have now put another 100,000 on it. I would start by checking the wiring and the sending unit. If the problem persists, I would then run a can of seafoam through the crankcase, and change the oil.
Is the oil really nasty when you change it? Does the oil run out slowly when you change it?
When I checked the truck over when I bought it. It apparently had just been changed because the dipstick came up clear. My Son put about 2000 miles on it before the problem showed itself. He went on the first out of town trip, {that I know of} when he called me because the engine shut down. The pressure Gage {until that day} was showing good throughout the ordeal. But in the end it came out OK.
Funny you mentioned that. I replaced a motor in a 98 Windstar about 5 years ago. It was a 3.8 that had about 60,000 miles on it. The chick who owned it was a divorcee 3 years prior who new nothing about maintenance and never changed the oil. The pickup screen in the oil pan was totally plugged. It blew big-time. Upon investigating the problem, I pulled the very old looking oil filter and No (0) oil was inside of the filter

Nice lookin girl, but dumber than a box of rocks when it came maintaining a vehicle. She didn't have any money, but paid me in ways that I'll leave to your imagination.

When I finished, somehow I guess a stress crack developed in the windshield from the motor swap. I'm not sure how that happened, but I did have to lift the Van body off the motor to change it. The crack may have developed from that, Iduno... Anyways, after all that, she bitched about it

Well, the new car smell had run it's course at that point. Job, relationship - over lol. Yea, it was was was worth it, honest


Last edited by jbrew; 05-24-2009 at 12:37 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-24-2009, 12:27 PM
Suspended
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: NW Indiana
Vehicle: 1998 Ford Expy 5.4
Posts: 1,941
Send a message via AIM to Camarothatcould
If you dont hear any knocking, I doubt its really losing pressure. I would dump in the seafoam, start it up,listening for very faint knocks. If no knocks, let it warm up, drain the oil, new filter, new oil and go from there. If its the sender unit, the seafoam might clean it up and get a good reading. If not, change the sender unit.
With an engine this high up of milege, I wouldnt worry about locking it by running it for a few mins. Everythings worn in and the clearances are nowhere close to where they were from factory
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-24-2009, 12:27 PM
Suspended
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: NW Indiana
Vehicle: 1998 Ford Expy 5.4
Posts: 1,941
Send a message via AIM to Camarothatcould
brew your such a pimp
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 05-24-2009, 12:29 PM
Suspended
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: MI
Vehicle: 1998 Ford F150 5.4L 4X4
Posts: 25,636
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camarothatcould View Post
brew your such a pimp
Who me? Nahh
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 05-24-2009, 12:40 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: >wwOwww<
Vehicle: 1997 F150
Posts: 1,510
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrew View Post
Funny you mentioned that. I replaced a motor in a 98 Windstar about 5 years ago. It was a 3.8 that had about 60,000 miles on it. The chick who owned it was a divorcee 3 years prior who new nothing about maintenance and never changed the oil. The pickup screen in the oil pan was totally plugged. It blew big-time. Upon investigating the problem, I pulled the very old looking oil filter and No (0) oil was inside of the filter

Nice lookin girl, but dumber than a box of rocks when it came maintaining a vehicle. She didn't have any money, but paid me in ways that I'll leave to your imagination.

When I finished, somehow I guess a stress crack developed in the windshield from the motor swap. I'm not sure how that happened, but I did have to lift the Van body off the motor to change it. The crack may have developed from that, Iduno... Anyways, after all that, she bitched about it

Well, the new car smell had run it's course at that point. Job, relationship - over lol. Yea, it was was was worth it, honest

If not the windshield, she would have found something smaller to bitch about


Edit; I crack myself up sometimes
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 05-24-2009, 01:00 PM
Suspended
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: MI
Vehicle: 1998 Ford F150 5.4L 4X4
Posts: 25,636
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumba View Post
If not the windshield, she would have found something smaller to bitch about


Edit; I crack myself up sometimes
Right!! I can see why marriage rejected her, - she bitched out of turn lol.

Yea, I sit back at times and just crack up at current events. Then do the same years later lol. You triggered that memory my friend, - thanks for the laugh

Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 05-24-2009, 01:10 PM
Suspended
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: NW Indiana
Vehicle: 1998 Ford Expy 5.4
Posts: 1,941
Send a message via AIM to Camarothatcould
n00bz
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 05-24-2009, 04:33 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: aptos, ca
Vehicle: 2001 ford f150
Posts: 144
where to find the sensor?

Hi gents,

Thx for your replies; I fired it up again this am with hood open (to hear a clatter if present), but its working now. this on again, off again sure seems like the sensor.

however, in prep to swap it, i am not finding it. my 01, 5.4 auto 4x4,
could someone clue me where to find that sensor?

tia, jackc...
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 05-24-2009, 04:40 PM
Suspended
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: MI
Vehicle: 1998 Ford F150 5.4L 4X4
Posts: 25,636
There is NO sensor to find.

The sender is above the axle on the block (drivers side), you disconnect then unscrew. -

Click the image to open in full size.

It's probably just dirty/corroded ..

BTW, be gentle with that connector, they snap real easy.

Last edited by jbrew; 05-24-2009 at 04:47 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 04:40 PM


 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:43 AM.





This forum is owned and operated by Internet Brands, Inc., a Delaware corporation. It is not authorized or endorsed by the Ford Motor Company and is not affiliated with the Ford Motor Company or its related companies in any way. FordŽ is a registered trademark of the Ford Motor Company
 
Contact Us Advertising Privacy Statement Terms of Service Jobs Forum Text Archives
Emails & Contact Details