Low fuel Pressure

Old 04-11-2009, 01:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Low fuel Pressure

5.4 Liter
1998 Ford F150 4x4
extended Cab
152,000 miles

Well over the past few months my f150 has been lagging down more and more until my check engine light popped on, so I decided to drop by my local auto parts store and run the diagnosis, it came up with low fuel pressure. I just replaced all the oil, filters and the MAFS and reset my computer. Sadly I'm not engine savy and have no idea what else was causing this after a bad fuel pump I just want a option of you guys. I'm replacing the spark plugs as it is hard to start and takes a couple of cranks just to get a response.

Signs and symtoms:

-Will stall with high acceleration
-will not shift into gear when i put down the pedal
-hard time cranking over
-bad fuel pressure
-has rumbled the cab when i started it so i shut it down.
-has a clicking noise when i accelerate and when it idles.

Now I love this truck and sadly I am short on money, just curious as to what was causing this problem or any input on what I should do.

Old 04-11-2009, 01:20 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Replaced the fuel filter?

Old 04-11-2009, 06:40 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Zephyr snow
Now I love this truck
I'm 100% positive - She ain't feeling it.

IMO, your going to be short a truck soon - very soon. The truck has a chance, but you really need to have someone go thru it who knows there way around modulars.

You just don't have one problem I'm afraid - I wrote everything out for you once, but it didn't post - then my browser crashed Daaanngg! - Wasted a 1/2 hour and don't feel like writing all that out again, not right now anyway lol.

Bottom line, you need to take it in- She's hurtin - bad.

You can figure things out one at a time, we can take thru it, if you think your up to it. It's going to take a little bit to get her up to snuf.

Old 04-11-2009, 06:55 PM
did you put a fuel pressure gauge on it? so you replaced the maf, the fuel filter, the oil and filter, and the air filter? what about the fuel pump? check the pressure before the fuel filter and then at the rail. where did you get the maf? does it stutter? or just doesnt have much power? were there any other codes? i'm with jbrew, if you dont know much about these engines then your better off having someone take a look.

Old 04-11-2009, 07:15 PM

-Will stall with high acceleration
-will not shift into gear when i put down the pedal

The first two are MAF problems - Somethings very wrong with the MAF. That's just one problem.

Yea , MAF, TPS, Trans and PCM aren't communicating properly.

The TPS and Trans will whip up a DTC if they have anything to with it. You didn't post any DTC's - so AFAIK , you don't have any, - that's very hard to believe, - that said, Leaves the MAF and PCM. At this point, the better guess would be the MAF Sensor @ fault.

Like I said, that's just one on many. I don't think I've come across a 98 5.4L with this many problems and know DTC's?? Oh well, guess there's a first time for every thing.

BTW - What was the DTC for low fuel pressure? - That's a new one..? Has anyone EVER seen a low pump pressure DTC ? Or is it just me ?

Old 04-11-2009, 07:35 PM
Originally Posted by jbrew
BTW - What was the DTC for low fuel pressure? - That's a new one..? Has anyone EVER seen a low pump pressure DTC ? Or is it just me ?
i've never seen it on the 97-03 models but i have seen it on the 04+

Old 04-12-2009, 01:20 AM

Originally Posted by Matts ford
i've never seen it on the 97-03 models but i have seen it on the 04+

I'll bet they scanned the OP's ride with a can compliant scanner. I think basic (If not all) "can" scanners are dedicated solely to the 04 + models. - Drive by wire systems.

I'm not positive on that tho, I'm not as familiar with 04 + Diagnostics.

They probably have dual mode scanners by now - might have been switched to "can" vs - a first generation OBD II read..

The scan tools P# might of helped us with that. - Zephyr snow, always write down the DTC numbers the scanner spits out, - look at them yourself and make real sure there isn't more than one in memory. Jump into the passenger seat if you have to and monitor the scanner yourself. - The first to display in How Many DTC's are in memory.

You never usually know how much experience the operator/ parts guy has. He might have been falling behind with work and just gave you one on the fly lol.

So you have "0" CEL's? Or did you run the vehicle for long periods of time with the CEL Illuminated?

Well, I'm just guessing on the above.

Why do I have a bad feeling about this dudes truck, can't shake it, - wtf :o

Btw MATT, - My freakin kid said to say hi . - I guess she liked your post in GD , - Idk, I'll have to read it again lol.

Old 04-12-2009, 10:11 AM
I'll bet they scanned the OP's ride with a can compliant scanner.
i wouldnt dought it. but places like autozone have always printed out receipts for the codes and the meanings whenever my friends have gone there. i dont know, some of there employees are alright and some just flat out dont care.

Btw MATT, - My freakin kid said to say hi . - I guess she liked your post in GD , - Idk, I'll have to read it again lol.
ok well tell her i said high too.

oh and happy easter

Last edited by Matts ford; 04-12-2009 at 11:54 AM.
Old 04-12-2009, 03:31 PM
I'm 100% positive - She ain't feeling it.

IMO, your going to be short a truck soon - very soon. The truck has a chance, but you really need to have someone go thru it who knows there way around modulars.

You just don't have one problem I'm afraid - I wrote everything out for you once, but it didn't post - then my browser crashed Daaanngg! - Wasted a 1/2 hour and don't feel like writing all that out again, not right now anyway lol.

Bottom line, you need to take it in- She's hurtin - bad.

You can figure things out one at a time, we can take through it, if you think your up to it. It's going to take a little bit to get her up to snuf.
Actually I'm taking it in to a shop where my brother in law and I are going to run through it all, replace the gaskets, coils, fuel pump, water pump, air induction, put some better oil in it new filters, run compression test, fix the electric problems, some new headers, and ect. including exhaust and lift, he is salvaging his wreck which was a twin to mine just had a ton of performance.. Thankfully he offer his time free of charge and this is what he does for a living and specializes in 5.4's and 4.6's.

Thank you for you input, I probably never would of taken it in to a some one who really truly knows what they are doing.

Old 04-14-2009, 06:13 AM

Actually I'm taking it in to a shop where my brother in law and I are going to run through it all, replace the gaskets, coils, fuel pump, water pump, air induction, put some better oil in it new filters, run compression test, fix the electric problems, some new headers, and ect. including exhaust and lift, he is salvaging his wreck which was a twin to mine just had a ton of performance.. Thankfully he offer his time free of charge and this is what he does for a living and specializes in 5.4's and 4.6's.
Good deal! Glad to her it. Yea, it didn't look to promising earlier on.

Your still going to need some things tho. Check back here if your fishing around for parts, quite a few people here can direct you in what to use and where to get them.

Good Luck!

Old 04-14-2009, 08:19 PM
Dont forget to up date us

Old 04-20-2009, 03:28 PM
Thankfully, my truck is not about to die, much to the relief of me and my wallet. Right now its pretty pulled apart, my brother in-law is quiet the mod-aholic so he convinced me to let it sit in his shop until we are able to piece together some new performance parts, tires, and a new lift. Sadly this means for about a month I'm vehicle-less.

Old 04-20-2009, 05:20 PM

Thankfully, my truck is not about to die, much to the relief of me and my wallet. Right now its pretty pulled apart, my brother in-law is quiet the mod-aholic so he convinced me to let it sit in his shop until we are able to piece together some new performance parts, tires, and a new lift. Sadly this means for about a month I'm vehicle-less.
Sounds great!

Run those mods by us as you go, we'll see how good he is

Old 05-11-2009, 01:31 PM
Well, after some speculation we decided to replace intake manifold gasket as it was leaking and source of the hard start, while we did that we found out that the exhaust manifold had a leak too so at that we replaced it. We through on a new belt and check the transmission as 3rd gear was pretty clunky to shift into. Also replacing fuel filter and thinking about replacing pump. Then my brother-in-law proceed to drive my truck for two or so weeks to see if my check engine light comes on. Not at all. I get the truck back and 5 miles out one of my pistons stop firing all together. So we towed it back to shop.

Guess that problem with aluminum block is all to common by eating my spark plugs (sorta). Well all the thread on my #3 cylinder had given out except about maybe 2. Just enough for me to take it to the ford technician who can heli-coil (sp?) it. Then since I already bought pipe and a muffler I'm going to put on a new exhaust that isn't so restrictive. Not so sure on air intakes yet, but I think I'll just not worry about that.

So with everything done I'm going to sell my truck cause literally I'm scared to get wrench time on that thing with all the sensors and electronic components and move back to a older Ford. Maybe 1975-81, 1932-58 or a 1995 I've been looking at. Just more space to work and I'm not afraid to get it dirty.

Old 05-12-2009, 10:03 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I would never own another old truck. The newer ones are just so much better. You actually have to work on them much less. Learning curve is all you gotta get past.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Low fuel Pressure