Brief episodes of hesitation or lack of power at higher speeds?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2013, 09:03 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Brief episodes of hesitation or lack of power at higher speeds?

I've noticed lately, seems to be on the highway, that occasionally I will feel a brief period of hesitation or lack of power. I never actually lose complete power. The best way to describe it would be if you were going up a hill and suddenly put the A/C on, or driving and shift to Low 2 (although, not that severe). It kind of freaks you out, you're driving, then feel it, white knuckle the steering wheel, thinking it's gonna die, and then back to normal. Seems to occur maybe once or sometimes twice every 30 minutes. Any ideas? Is this from some sort of short? I'm not real good with a multimeter. Wher ewould I check first, basic plug wire connections and coil. Was not damp or raining when this happenned. I have had a dead battery or 2 in the last 4-5 months, because the truck does sit a fair amount. Just spent $500 for new ABS/wheel speed sensors and front brake lines because of excess rust. Thanks. (2000 F-150 5.4L, 93,000 miles)

Old 05-31-2013, 09:46 AM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
It may be related to the dead batteries. I'd check the battery connections really well at both ends of the cables and the charging voltage. A not completely accurate way of doing that is to check the voltage across the battery while the engine is running.

Then, change the fuel filter and check the fuel pressure.

You didn't mention any CE codes?

Old 05-31-2013, 10:02 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
On the batteries, these trucks drain a battery if it just sits. Lots of stuff still drawing power. If it is going to sit, you need to buy a battery tender. Got mine at Walmart, $25. Make sure the battery is fully charged, then see if you experience the loss of power.

Quick Reply: Brief episodes of hesitation or lack of power at higher speeds?