Engine shut off. Low oil pressure light.

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 07:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine shut off. Low oil pressure light.

This afternoon I had to drive to another town about 30 miles away. The place I was going has a short steep driveway before leveling off to a parking lot. As I was pulling in and reached the top of the hill I noticed the truck was steering hard......and then I noticed the engine had shut off. I noticed the low oil pressure light was on for a couple of seconds after the engine shut off. I just coasted in to a parking spot and checked the oil level, which was fine. The oil was just changed at the dealer on 3/10. I came back to the truck a couple of hours later hoping I was going to be able to get home. The truck started fine, sounded like it was running fine, and the oil pressure gauge was just above the midpoint, which is normal. I decided to go ahead and drive it home. Drove the whole way home with no problems.

So the question is.....what the heck happened? Just a sensor? Do I wait to see if it happens again or do I get it looked at? The check engine light never came on.

This is an 04 F150 w/5.4 69,000 miles.

Last edited by JRVicHammer; 03-23-2009 at 07:45 PM.
Old 03-23-2009, 07:30 PM
yea, ive got the same exact truck too. amazingly its the exact year too. did you steal my truck?

Old 03-23-2009, 07:46 PM
Originally Posted by chiefFX4
yea, ive got the same exact truck too. amazingly its the exact year too. did you steal my truck?
haha.....I was confused for a second. I forgot I don't have the details of the truck anywhere.

Old 03-23-2009, 07:50 PM
i'd see if it happens again. it may have just been a glitch in the sensor. or it may have been from that steep driveway. was it steep uphill or downhill when it shut off?

Last edited by Matts ford; 03-23-2009 at 07:52 PM.
Old 03-23-2009, 08:35 PM
Originally Posted by Matts ford
i'd see if it happens again. it may have just been a glitch in the sensor. or it may have been from that steep driveway. was it steep uphill or downhill when it shut off?
I was going uphill.....just reached the top when it shut off. Not a very long hill...maybe 200ft.

Old 03-24-2009, 01:58 PM
glc
Received 759 Likes on 703 Posts
Of course the low oil pressure light is going to come on if the engine stalls.

How much gas was in the tank when this happened? Have you ever changed the fuel filter?

Old 03-24-2009, 02:02 PM
Originally Posted by glc
Of course the low oil pressure light is going to come on if the engine stalls.

How much gas was in the tank when this happened? Have you ever changed the fuel filter?
Had half a tank of gas. Good idea on the fuel filter.....I didn't think about that. I will have to look but I don't think it has been changed in about 30,000 miles. I am going to replace that soon.

Quick Reply: Engine shut off. Low oil pressure light.