Go Back   F150online Forums > Powertrain & Mechanical > V8 Engines
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Photos Vin Decoder FAQ Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Vendor DirectoryGarage

Welcome to F150Online Forums!
Welcome to F150Online.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the F150Online Forums community today!

Old 03-09-2009, 03:56 PM
2001 Ford Expedition

Vehicle: 2001 Ford Expedition
Bad Alternator? And where are the "battery fuses"?

A little background story...2001 Expedition, 5.4. Went to a boxing tournament Friday night, battery light was on. Coming home from the tournament, battery light was on, edge programmer says 11.6 volts and it started dropping, by the time I got home it was down to 8.2 volts. Saturday, I replace the original Ford battery, put the new one in, battery light is still on, programmer and handheld voltmeter tested from the alternator to the chassis says 11.4 volts. Haines manual says to check the "battery fuses", 175A. Can't find these fuses, where my battery cables go to the firewall does not look like the picture in the Haines manual. I pull the battery to look behind it on the fenderwell, still can't find these fuses. I say to hell with it, I'll look at it tomorrow, put the battery back in, start the truck for the hell of it, battery light is off and programmer reads 13.6 volts! Next morning, start the truck, battery light is on, programmer reads 11.5 volts. Still cannot find these big 175A fuses. Drive the truck this morning, battery light is on, 11.4 volts, I go to pass a guy, floor it, battery light goes off, truck remains at 13.6 volts till I get to work. Leave work, battery light is on, 11.4 volts. Come home, still cannot find these *******ing fuses.

The haines manual shows a picture of the battery cables leading to a set of terminals with two big fuses and one little spade fuse. The wiring diagram shows the black and orange cable going from the alternator to this set of terminals with the fuses, then to the starter relay. Mine does not take this route. The black and orange cable goes straight from the alternator to the starter relay. I've done many, many searches and found no answer to this question of why my truck does not seem to have these fuses.

I am about to take out the alternator and go down to Advance Auto and have it tested, which I'm sure it will fail. Before I trust the guy behind the counter, can anyone tell me, in their personal opinion that they think it is for sure the alternator? And, why can I not find these fuses or does my truck not have them, and if it does not have them, why not?

Thanks to all!

Doug
Old 03-09-2009, 04:07 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 2003 Fast Screw
Sounds like the alternator is going bad or is bad to me.
Not sure about your fuses,,did you try looking for them in your owners manual?(If ya still have one)

Phil

594/620 Without the nitrous!
Built Lightning block.
Stage 3 Ported heads. high performance Cams
2.3 Kenne Bell L upgrade blower 16 PSI
Kooks long tube headers
BTS race built 4R100 tranny
100 shot of nitrous
best 1/4 to date.
60' 1.68
11.76 @ 116.17
Old 03-09-2009, 04:21 PM
2001 Ford Expedition

Or could it be a bad voltage regulator?

Phil - I did look in the owner's manual for the magical 175A fuses and nothing is listed.

Doug
Edge Evolution
Nitto Terra Grapplers 265/70R17
Lots of JL Audio
Old 03-09-2009, 04:37 PM
Global Moderator &
2005 Ford F-150

Vehicle: 2011 Ford F150, 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by gothdesigner View Post
Or could it be a bad voltage regulator?

Phil - I did look in the owner's manual for the magical 175A fuses and nothing is listed.

Doug
The regulator is internal in the altenator. Sounds as if you need a new altenator.
Old 03-09-2009, 04:41 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 2002 Ford F-150
I concur with these knowledgable folk. If the battery light is on, that means there is a power draw on your battery, because your alternator is not supplying enough anymore. I believe that your 175A fuses are located on the passenger side of the fire wall. They are big, you would not think that they are fuses unless you were told.

But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such government, and to provide new Guards for their future security.

Old 03-09-2009, 07:24 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Sounds like the alternator is fried. DO NOT BUY a REBUILT unit...unless you like installing alternators every other week. Most do not check the final diode which controls the electric flow in one direction only- to the battery. It is a common failure of rebuilt units that the rebuilder does not replace the final diode and while it will charge the battery, it also drains it over a day or two. Buy a NAPA new or Motorcraft new, but no rebuilts.
Old 03-09-2009, 09:15 PM
Garage is empty, add now

or make sure you get the ont with the 5 year warrenty. i had to replace mine after about a year cuz the berrings went bad like my first.
Old 03-10-2009, 02:07 PM
2001 Ford Expedition

Thanks to all for advice!

Took the alternator in, had it tested, it failed. Big surprise, not really. I wanted to know what their diagnostic computer gives for a reading but the guy showed me the reading and it doesn't give any numbers, it just says "FAILED".

Wish I would've read the last two posts before I bought one! I normally only buy Ford parts and get my work done at the dealership, but this was an easy job to do myself, I'm a total gearhead, but I'm very busy and lazy. The wife wanted me to save a little money on this trip, so I ended up getting a reman, but it has a 3 year warranty, and in 3 years I'll be getting a newer Expedition.

Put the new one in and all is good! 14.4 volts! Thanks for all the help again!

Doug
Edge Evolution
Lots of JL Audio
Old 03-10-2009, 06:08 PM
Technical Article Contributor
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 1998 Ford F150 5.4L 4X4
No need to worry about the 175 MEGA's on that model if it happens again. You don't have them. You have a cable link by the battery instead.

Regulators are easy to check as well. No need to get into that now - Glad you got her fixed
Old 03-10-2009, 10:33 PM
2001 Ford Expedition

Yes! I'm not crazy...or stupid! I knew it!
Edge Evolution
Lots of JL Audio
Old 03-10-2009, 10:33 PM