Quarts of Oil in a 2004 5.4 ??

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 05:05 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 04ScrewFX4X4
I see most people say 7, I have always put in 6 3/4 quarts, then after 500 or so miles I check again if it needs a little top off I have the 1/4 quart left for that. I run Mobile 1 5w20 sythetic, so yeah its not a cheap oil change.
You're puting in 1/4 of a quart too little then. It's not what most people put in. It's what Ford calls for.

I realize Mobile 1 isn't the cheapest oil, but trying to save one quarter of a quart? Sheesh!

Old 02-27-2009, 04:55 PM
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
If you start with all 7 quarts, then you wouldn't need to top it off later. That makes about as much sense as starting with 1 quart, then checking it, and adding the other 6 quarts.

Old 02-27-2009, 11:22 PM
I agree

Old 02-28-2009, 10:53 AM
Sorry to bust the thread, but figured this was a good spot to post, I have always been confused with the '97 on up trucks with the oil level's. I have an '02 (5.4)that when I put in 6qt's on an oil/filter change, the dipstick is at the max mark, I actually put a hatch mark right above the max mark which is where the oil is at after an oil/filter change, yet about 2/3 of the way to the next oil change, bout 2k mls, the oil level is half way between the min/max, the Ford manual states if the oil is at this level to not add oil, this just doesn't seem logical to me, if the oil level is low compared to when you filled it at oil change, would it not make sense to add oil to bring it to max level? I understand that maybe it doesn't need to be at max, but wouldn't you want to it at least be where it was at on a fresh oil change?, only takes about 1/2 qt to do so. I always check the level cold, after the truck has sat overnight or sat during the day at work.

Can someone please shed some light on this? Am I overfilling by toppin off with the 1/2 qt? My 5.4 does seep at the head gasket's/valve cover's and I know it is common for this motor to use some oil between oil changes, so adding the 1/2 qt makes sense to me, but why does Ford say not to?

Thanks,

Travis

Last edited by tgenetzky; 02-28-2009 at 10:59 AM.
Old 02-28-2009, 11:17 AM
you have to understand that owners manuals are written for the dumbest person on earth.

they say not to add until it gets to the mark because that is the point where a full quart will bring it to the line, too many people are way to stupid to figure out to add half a quart. if you fill it past the full line the motor may try to get rid of the excess....you may not like the method it uses.

it certainly wont hurt anything to top it off, but probably isnt needed either.

when i change mine, i fill the filter with oil and let it soak in. you cant totally fill it because you will spill it when you install the new filter. i just figure if the paper is soaked on the inside it is going to allow oil to pass quicker on initial startup reducing the amount of time the motor goes without.

Old 02-28-2009, 11:20 AM
Originally Posted by edsjr
when i change mine, i fill the filter with oil and let it soak in. you cant totally fill it because you will spill it when you install the new filter. i just figure if the paper is soaked on the inside it is going to allow oil to pass quicker on initial startup reducing the amount of time the motor goes without.
I just hold the gas pedal to the floor and crank the starter over for 3 or 4 seconds.
Then I take my foot off the gas and start it up. Never had a weird sound or odd noise, and I know the filter is full of oil.

Old 02-28-2009, 11:29 AM
Originally Posted by tgenetzky
Sorry to bust the thread, but figured this was a good spot to post, I have always been confused with the '97 on up trucks with the oil level's. I have an '02 (5.4)that when I put in 6qt's on an oil/filter change, the dipstick is at the max mark, I actually put a hatch mark right above the max mark which is where the oil is at after an oil/filter change, yet about 2/3 of the way to the next oil change, bout 2k mls, the oil level is half way between the min/max, the Ford manual states if the oil is at this level to not add oil, this just doesn't seem logical to me, if the oil level is low compared to when you filled it at oil change, would it not make sense to add oil to bring it to max level? I understand that maybe it doesn't need to be at max, but wouldn't you want to it at least be where it was at on a fresh oil change?, only takes about 1/2 qt to do so. I always check the level cold, after the truck has sat overnight or sat during the day at work.

Can someone please shed some light on this? Am I overfilling by toppin off with the 1/2 qt? My 5.4 does seep at the head gasket's/valve cover's and I know it is common for this motor to use some oil between oil changes, so adding the 1/2 qt makes sense to me, but why does Ford say not to?

Thanks,

Travis
I'm just wondering if you're reading the dipstick properly after doing the oil change. They can be tricky sometimes. Halfway on the dipstick is what it should read when you've just done the change. Now I'm not sure about the 02 F150 but on every Ford I've had, it's always halfway on the dipstick.
How much does it seep? Is there a puddle where you always park it?

Old 02-28-2009, 11:34 AM
I have a 2004 with the 5.4 and I need 7 quarts for it to be full

Old 02-28-2009, 11:38 AM
Yeah, was just wondering that myself. No puddles, just the minute seepage that collects dirt. The hatch mark on my dipstick was actually put on by a Ford dealership when I took it in for an oil diagnostics at 80k when it first started using oil, I do every other oil change myself and 6 qt's has always brought it to the max mark or the hatch mark rather. This still bug's me though...kinda like I don't trust the dipstick lol. Have alway's been leary bout the oil in this thing since I had a dealership do it's 3rd oil change cause I got 3 free oil changes when I bought the truck and on the 3rd one I checked the level before drivin the truck off the lot and when I popped the hood there was oil everywhere all over the engine compartment and the level was way up on the dipstick, the dip****s had overfilled it with there pump and didn't even bother to drain excess or clean the oil that sprayed everywhere, they took it back in, cleaned it up, said they drained the excess and I trusted them and drove it off the lot, a day later, on the weekend I checked the level and it was way over the max, had it towed in to above dealership under their expense and made them do a full oil/filter change. Amazing how something as simple as an oil change can get to be such a pain in the ***.

Last edited by tgenetzky; 02-28-2009 at 11:44 AM.
Old 02-28-2009, 12:57 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by tgenetzky
Yeah, was just wondering that myself. No puddles, just the minute seepage that collects dirt. The hatch mark on my dipstick was actually put on by a Ford dealership when I took it in for an oil diagnostics at 80k when it first started using oil, I do every other oil change myself and 6 qt's has always brought it to the max mark or the hatch mark rather. This still bug's me though...kinda like I don't trust the dipstick lol. Have alway's been leary bout the oil in this thing since I had a dealership do it's 3rd oil change cause I got 3 free oil changes when I bought the truck and on the 3rd one I checked the level before drivin the truck off the lot and when I popped the hood there was oil everywhere all over the engine compartment and the level was way up on the dipstick, the dip****s had overfilled it with there pump and didn't even bother to drain excess or clean the oil that sprayed everywhere, they took it back in, cleaned it up, said they drained the excess and I trusted them and drove it off the lot, a day later, on the weekend I checked the level and it was way over the max, had it towed in to above dealership under their expense and made them do a full oil/filter change. Amazing how something as simple as an oil change can get to be such a pain in the ***.
I would of have absolutely became unglued. That's worse than them leaving it a quart low. Over filling can do some damage.

Oil all over the motor!!! Okay , just point the guy out, that's all you would have to do. I can't believe that crap!!

Old 02-28-2009, 03:16 PM
tgenetzky,

I think the confusion is that on the 4.2 & 4.6, the spec is for 6 qts. On the 5.4, the spec is for 7 qts. Refer to owner's manual. I've been to the dealership where instead of putting in 6, they put in 7. Not a big deal. At 6 qts, the level is at the minimum mark. At 7 qts, the level is at the maximum.

But I can see the frustration of an incompetent tech who probably put in about 10 qts, and it was probably diesel engine oil. What can you say? That guy had a bad day, and you had to pay the price. He was probably drunk or high.

At my dealership, I get to go into the service bay. They let me stand right there next to the tech, drinking my coffee, while the tech works. No big deal. The same tech works on my car every single time. He gets to know me & my truck. I see exactly what he sees with the car up on the lift. I lucked out. I found a decent dealership to work with.

Old 02-28-2009, 03:17 PM
Old 03-01-2009, 04:12 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Hespen537
7 Quarts always over fills mine. And thats with the 5.4L Yea, man. says 7 Only thing is, its always over. Im pretty sure my 5.4L is the same as any. Either that or I must have some type of spacer in my oil pain that over fills me at 7. You tell me.
No, 7 qts. doesn't overfill it unless Ford put the wrong oil pan on it (unlikely). Drain it good, change the filter, and put in a full 7 qts. THAT is full! Wherever it comes on the stick is full. Oil dip sticks are notorious for being off! Mark a line on the dip stick if you have to, but the QUANTITY is the important part. I sometimes think they've got an old man out back whacking these dipsticks off with an axe the way different people report different readings with the same amount of oil. All 3 of the Modular ford engines I've had ('99 5.4L, '02 4.6L, '04 5.4L 3V) have been in the middle of the marks when filled with the amount Ford called for in the owners manual. And I have ALWAYS changed my own oil.

Old 03-01-2009, 04:07 PM
2002 F-150 5.4's take 6qt's, sorry if I didn't clarify the year.

Old 03-02-2009, 02:06 PM
http://www.enginebuildermag.com/Arti...y_engines.aspx

You guy's may be on to something, I will double check but I could swear that when dumping in 6 fresh qt's with the filter changed out, the oil level on dipstick sit's right at the hatch mark a Ford dealership put on the stick. I brought up concern about this dipstick in my truck to a different dealership about 2 year's ago asking them if there was a possibilty it was the incorrect dipstick or damaged or something and they said the same as the manual, if it is inbetween the min/max don't add any oil, well...wtf kind answer is that? So, basically there is the chance that I have been overfilling by 1/2qt's when I go to top off the oil after 2k mls? Still don't understand why the level would be at max/hatch mark after an oil change and then half-way between min/max at 2k mls. Gonna do a change this week and verify the level, have had alot goin on the past few year's and maybe it is just one of those things I overlooked.

After reading the above article again, seems Ford decided to go with a "universal" dipstick and no matter what the vehicle across a specific line, your oil level is fine as long as it is inbetween the min/max mark. I do remember when asking about the possibility of an incorrect dipstick the service manager mentioning a "universal dipstick"...nice

Thank's for the info all...

Last edited by tgenetzky; 03-02-2009 at 02:12 PM.

Quick Reply: Quarts of Oil in a 2004 5.4 ??