Loud ticking noise

Old 01-26-2009, 12:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Loud ticking noise

Hello, My truck is an 08 5.4 with only 2700 miles. I get a loud ticking when I first start the truck up. This is loud and can be heard inside the cab but standing outside it is very loud. As it warms up during idle after 5 min.the ticking seems to quiet down than go away. If I give it gas after it is warmed up at idle I can hear it tick a few times after it drops in rpms than it stops. Dont know if it is cold weather related. I was just out there this morning to see if I could isolate where it is coming from. It seems to be coming from the passenger side in front of engine but its hard to isolate it exactly. Hopefully it is not something really bad. I know my engine was built in 8-07 and there is a problem with some of the 07's where the motor had to be replaced due to a faulty part inside that caused a ticking sound.

Last edited by Symore; 01-26-2009 at 12:51 PM.
Old 01-26-2009, 02:07 PM
what brand oil filter do you have on it? and what grade oil?

Old 01-26-2009, 03:00 PM
I bought this truck used with 800 miles on it and the oil and filter were changed than at the dealership. Hopefully they put the correct oil and filter on.

Old 01-26-2009, 03:05 PM
i'd take advantage of the warranty for this.

Old 01-26-2009, 03:40 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
The reason he asked about the filter is that you need a filter with an anti drain back valve. Many cheap filters have a paper one that will collapse. If done at the dealer, then it was probably a Motorcraft, and should be good.

Old 01-26-2009, 04:02 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
First off I am a little suspious as to why the truck was sold with 800 miles on it unless it was a demo. Second is why did the dealer change oil already (to try and get rid of the noise?). As others have said I would go to a Ford dealer and demand they investigate the noise and either repair it or replace the engine under warranty. Is the noise a tapping noise or more like a marble in a can noise? A tapping noise could be a rod bearing or wrist pin bushing (replace engine) A inconsistant marble in a can rattle could be a lash adjuster(repairable). It could also be the VCT tick (repairable). Front timing chain tensioner may be defective as well (repairable). Have the dealer remove the serp belt and see if the noise is nonexsistant on a cold startup. If the noise is gone then a FEAD component ( ALT,A/C, P/S, tensioner, etc) may be defective. Any of these will be under warranty. A rod bearing is not a repairable item. Long term it can and usually will reaccur as the crank surface gets damaged as well and just eats up the new bearing. Just letting you know this so they don't BS you. Good luck.

Old 01-26-2009, 04:40 PM
Thanks for the replies. I went to the dealer to buy an 08 leftover last October. They had good incentives on the 08's. I wanted a standard cab with 8ft bed. Also I wanted the heavy duty payload and manual shift for the for transfer case and some other options. They searched all the dealers lot and couldent find one. A week later I get a phone call saying someone bought this truck from another dealer and decided he wanted a super cab model and traded it in for another one on their lot. Yes I was thinking B.S. too but I have the window sticker and it was bought at a dealer about 50 miles away. Whenever they get a vehicle in they go over it and changethe oil. They also gave me free oil changes for the life of the truck. It only had 800 mile on it. Saved alot of money because it was now a used truck and got all the warrenties. Also it is an XLT better than the XL I was looking for. Well I love this truck and other than this problem it has been great. It runs really good. This ticking only happens first thing in the morning after sitting all night. After that there is no more ticking untill the next morning.

Last edited by Symore; 01-26-2009 at 04:52 PM.
Old 01-26-2009, 05:57 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I tend to have a suspicious nature after dealing with dealerships and quality issues for a large part of my life. Now it makes more sense. If the noise is disappearing after its warmed up and never comes back until its restarted next morning then I suspect its a minor repairable problem. Maybe the oil filter as some have suggested here. I went through a few potential components that could make a noise like you discribed just so you would have some ammunition when you went back to the dealer.

Last edited by DYNOTECH; 01-26-2009 at 06:13 PM.
Old 01-26-2009, 06:22 PM
Dynotech thank you for your responses. I dont trust dealers either. In my case things worked out with the truck purchase but could have gone the other way too. Thanks to knowlegable persons like yourself and others on this forum I am very confident about my truck. Already changed out the spark plugs and added the leveling shocks all with the info from this forum. Thanks again.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Loud ticking noise