Mine won't start after changing battery

Old 01-03-2009, 03:44 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
How well did you look at the wires ? Make sure there's not any broken and hiding on yuh - should look like this under there. -

Old 01-03-2009, 06:22 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mowpar
Both fuses were in working order. Took a better look at the starter. Started to move wires around, and the main wire to the starter from battery fell away from the starter. I fixed that with new cable end cleaned everything off put everything back, and presto changeo, it did not work.

I guess it is the cellenoid, or the bendix. I do not know how hard it is to change that.

Guess it will go to the shop, just hate to have to,,, have it towed,

Thanks for your help
I don't know what your mechanical abilities are but a starter change is fairly simple. You can pull the starter out and have an auto parts store test it for you. I would suggest that you change the starter and solenoid as one unit.
I don't know if you can buy them separtely anymore. Anyway's, RockAuto.com has them starting @ $89.00 for a new one.

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,ca...,parttype,4152

I used my truck year but the above link will give you a good idea of what you will pay.
I just put a new Beck/Arnley starter motor in for $140.00 from Advanced Auto Parts with a lifetime warranty and did the whole job in 2 1/2 hours. That includes pulling the passanger tire off for easy access to the top and side bolt's on the starter. If you do the work yourself, make sure you use anti-seize on the 3 bolts before you put them back in.

Last edited by tjk_in_cny; 01-03-2009 at 06:23 PM. Reason: info
Old 01-03-2009, 07:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
picture of starter

Thanks for the great picture. The braded wire coming from the cellinoid and going into the starter. This wire on mine is completely wiped out. I could barely make out that it was once a wire at all, until I reached in and pinched it between my fingers, and brought it out to see little peices of wire.

Seeing as how I am in no great big hurry for the truck, I think I will go ahead and put in a new starter. So just putting on a new cellinoid is out? I use to put them on my cars back in the 70's, with great success but that was a chevy. And there were no computer on board then either. I see two bolts to get the starter off, is this correct? Thanks again.

Old 01-03-2009, 08:09 PM

There's 3 bolts, that braided wire runs from the solenoid to the top post , like this -

Sounds like your wires are all deteriorated. If the braided wire is still connected to solenoid and IF you can manage to loosen the nuts where the other wires connect, you may be able to save it.

Chances are, it's to far gone - soon as you stick a 10mm on that little nut, you'll break the post off.

There easy to change as TjK explains.

Last edited by jbrew; 01-03-2009 at 09:11 PM.
Old 01-03-2009, 08:44 PM
Thanks for the great picture. The braded wire coming from the cellinoid and going into the starter. This wire on mine is completely wiped out. I could barely make out that it was once a wire at all, until I reached in and pinched it between my fingers, and brought it out to see little peices of wire.

Seeing as how I am in no great big hurry for the truck, I think I will go ahead and put in a new starter. So just putting on a new cellinoid is out?Years ago, i would just put the solenoid on as well, but I don't think you can just buy the solenoid anymore. I did some checking on the internet for you and found nothing. When I googled in starter solenoid, it directed me to the STARTER RELAY which is on the firewall next to the 175 amp fusable links. I use to put them on my cars back in the 70's, with great success but that was a chevy. And there were no computer on board then either. I see two bolts to get the starter off, is this correct?I know you have a 4.6L but I can't imagine 2 bolts are holding your starter in. If it is the same setup as mine and Brew's 5.4L's, As I explained before, pull the front passanger tire and you will see 1 bolt on top at 12 o'clock position. 2nd bolt @ 9 o'clock position and from underneath the truck you will have your 3rd bolt at about the 5 o'clock position. Thanks again.
Make sure you have good sockets, you do not want to strip the heads on the starter bolts. I replaced mine with new from NAPA. They will be 8mm x 1.25 x 30mm, (wow, not bad, good memory). Good luck with the installation. It's easier than you think.

Old 01-04-2009, 12:46 AM
solenoid

Part number 1M1090 This is the part number I found for the solenoid at Rock Auto.Com

Old 01-04-2009, 01:03 AM

Careful - Is that the solenoid that piggy backs the starter or the one on the firewall ? We have two.

Huh, I can't find that @ Rock?

Never-mind , I found it. It's $33.79 for a 98 model.

Last edited by jbrew; 01-04-2009 at 01:13 AM.
Old 01-04-2009, 06:22 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I do not have an owners manual, but I get what you are saying. again thnanks
I can't find the link, as I thought I had it bookmarked. But you can download the owners manual for free. Just do a search for the right one.

Last edited by Tumba; 01-04-2009 at 06:25 AM.
Old 01-04-2009, 06:40 AM
Part number 1M1090 This is the part number I found for the solenoid at Rock Auto.Com
I found it on Rock Auto and it's the solenoid that is on the fenderwell.

Old 01-04-2009, 10:28 AM
This is what I get when I put the part number you gave 1M1090.

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/catalog.php

Here is a pic of it
http://info.rockauto.com/Airtex/Detail.html?1M1090.jpg

Be sure your buying the right part.

Old 01-04-2009, 10:50 AM

I found them all last night - both solenoids - I mean they even have pictures, you can't go wrong.

Hell I even found what tjk installed on his truck the other day -

I likes mine better

Last edited by jbrew; 01-04-2009 at 10:53 AM.
Old 01-04-2009, 04:06 PM
I have only found the one I listed, I see now that it was the one for the fire wall.

Jbrew did you say you found the one for the solenoid? If so could you post the part
number and company from which it belongs?

Plus, I was also thinking, that it looks like the braided wire that disentigrated on, is part
of the starter. So I guess if I get a new solenoid I will still not have the wire coming from the starter. Maybe I could go into the starter, attach a new solid wire ( because I would know where to get a braided one) and wire it to my present solenoid, and not have to buy anything.

Old 01-04-2009, 04:35 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think someone mentioned soldering the wires. Just for the record I'm not sure about using resin flux or resin core on the connecters. If you do, clean it well with baking soda and water afterward.

Old 01-04-2009, 05:06 PM
My wires are non-existant.

Old 01-04-2009, 05:19 PM
Originally Posted by jbrew
I found them all last night - both solenoids - I mean they even have pictures, you can't go wrong.

Hell I even found what tjk installed on his truck the other day -

I likes mine better
Someone is in a good mood today.

Now stop staring at your truck and get it done. I still need pic's of your intake assembly.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Mine won't start after changing battery