Service Engine Soon Light: P303 and P316 codes given

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2008, 07:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Service Engine Soon Light: P303 and P316 codes given

2002 SCrew 5.4 V8 - 100,025 miles.

Last week my Service Engine Soon light turned on. I had a friend pull the codes with his reader and I had a P303 and P316. Doing my research I saw that they were the misfire detected codes for cylinder #3.

Search this board and on the internet I found that possible fixes to this problem is to change plugs and the COP which I did (replaced all plugs and the COP for #3).

Still have the service light on when I started it back up after I was done. Will have my friend check the codes again tomorrow (Sunday) and see if the are the same ones.

I guess my next step would be the fuel injector? Anyone else dealt with this issue and has some insight to what could be going on?

Also just so I make sure I did things right, can someone remind me the cylinder layout of the 5.4 V8? Was I correct in thinking that the odds are on the passenger side and evens on the driver side? With numbers one and two towards the front of the engine (so #3 would have been the second one back on the passenger side)?

Thanks.

Old 12-27-2008, 07:52 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
4 8
3 7
2 6 -------Drivers side
1 5

Front of truck

Old 12-27-2008, 08:04 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Ash575
2002 SCrew 5.4 V8 - 100,025 miles.

Last week my Service Engine Soon light turned on. I had a friend pull the codes with his reader and I had a P303 and P316. Doing my research I saw that they were the misfire detected codes for cylinder #3.

Search this board and on the internet I found that possible fixes to this problem is to change plugs and the COP which I did (replaced all plugs and the COP for #3).

Still have the service light on when I started it back up after I was done.
You have to have the code cleared to turn the CEL offWill have my friend check the codes again tomorrow (Sunday) and see if the are the same ones.

I guess my next step would be the fuel injector? Anyone else dealt with this issue and has some insight to what could be going on?

Also just so I make sure I did things right, can someone remind me the cylinder layout of the 5.4 V8? Was I correct in thinking that the odds are on the passenger side and evens on the driver side? With numbers one and two towards the front of the engine (so #3 would have been the second one back on the passenger side)? You changed the #2 cylinder

Thanks.
Best advice, Get yourself running by replacing the #3 cylinder COP (coil over plug), have the code cleared and see what happens from there. Next, I would change out all of your COP's. Your best bet is to buy them from Ebay. You will buy all 8 of them, between $70.00 to $75.00 dollars plus the shipping. There are a 2 sites on Ebay to get them for this price. There has been a bit of controversy lately about which site to buy from, so I will stay neutral and recommend you do some research and make your own decision.
You can research Ebay feedback and this site and make a decision from there.

Good luck and let us know how it works out for you.

TJKinCNY

Old 12-28-2008, 03:47 PM
Originally Posted by tjk_in_cny
4 8
3 7
2 6 -------Drivers side
1 5

Front of truck
TJK, Thanks for the numbering.

Hmmm.. Well from that layout it looks I replaced the wrong COP. Looks like I replaced #2.

Had my friend check the codes again today and was getting the same codes. Probably wont have time until next weekend to work on it.

I saw from doing a little bit of research on the term "misfire" a few of the threads with those links to the ebay sites. Ill see if I can get #3 working again and then probably this spring buy the set and replace them all.

Thanks for the replies.

Old 12-28-2008, 05:57 PM
BANG BANG!! Put the orginal #2 COP back in and moved the new COP to the correct #3 and she is running like a champ again. She has more pep than before with those new plugs too.

Quick Reply: Service Engine Soon Light: P303 and P316 codes given