Go Back   F150online Forums > Powertrain & Mechanical > V8 Engines
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Photos Vin Decoder FAQ Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read VendorsGarage

Old 12-10-2008, 12:09 AM
Garage is empty, add now

5.4 right manifold leak

Any info on why this happens or suggestions on where to get new one that will last?How hard is it to change?
Old 12-10-2008, 12:11 AM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 2006 Ford F150
Send a message via MSN to Paralyzer
usually the manifold studs towards the back break from the engine rocking under load. its pretty common on the 97-03 trucks.
Old 12-10-2008, 12:31 AM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 2007 Ford F150
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=559770219
Send a message via MSN to Hespen537
Stress on an old manifold could do this. The exhaust system being held under the cab, and putting stress on the manifold as the engine motions. Its common. Is the manifold cracked? Or is it a leaky gasket? If its cracked, or even if its a gasket, depending on the last time the manifold was taken off, it could be a Biznatch to deal with. Due to placement, and the corroded bolts that are holding it on (unless the fasteners are regularly cleaned). Be sure to go easy on them, so you wont break them. wd-40 works nice. But if it hasnt been long, its a breeze, wont be hard ( or at least for me it wasnt), as long as you can get your wrench to the bolts. I've noticed its a lot easier on the newer F1's 04-08. As for getting one that will last, I guess the only other thing to do is switch to aftermarket, such as gibson, or hooker, for example.
Old 12-10-2008, 06:42 AM
Technical Article Contributor
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 1998 Ford F150 5.4L 4X4
What year

Most likely the studs are going in the heads, depending on the year. Ford upgraded those to stainless. Also common is the exhaust flange studs going. Mine rusted down to a pencil lead thickness before snapping.
Old 12-10-2008, 09:27 AM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 2005 Ford F250
jimmyv13
Send a message via AIM to jimmyv13 Send a message via Yahoo to jimmyv13
I've noticed a slight ticking from the passenger side as well. I've been avoiding the inevitable...I need to get under there and see how bad the leak really is. I'm hoping for an easy fix, but that RARELY happens. If the mani is cracked, isn't there a bolt in shorty header? I wonder if that is an improvement over stock and what the cost difference is. I guess I know what I'll be researching when I get a chance today...

Quote:
Originally Posted by birddog_61 View Post
Its also clearly documented that second hand smoke is harmless. Your thought process on smoking in general is faulted.
Old 12-10-2008, 10:16 AM
Garage is empty, add now

jimmyv13
Well, I got a chance to poke around on the net and there are quite a few options with bolt in shorty headers. If my mani is cracked and the cost of the aftermarket mani's are comparable, I'll go with the Edelbrock 65232:

Click the image to open in full size.

I like to replace parts with something that is some sort of improvement over stock. Here in lies the problem, most people on this board say there is no gain what-so-ever with the aftermarket headers compared to the OEM mani's.

Anybody know what the price of the OEM manifold?
Old 12-10-2008, 10:25 AM
Suspended
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 1998 Ford Expy 5.4
Send a message via AIM to Camarothatcould
I paid $110 for my passenger side stock manifold. . . .
Old 12-10-2008, 10:37 AM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 2000 Ford Excursion
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrew View Post
What year

Most likely the studs are going in the heads, depending on the year. Ford upgraded those to stainless. Also common is the exhaust flange studs going. Mine rusted down to a pencil lead thickness before snapping.
I thought my "sound" was coming from the heat shields around the converters. ( you pointed out and I thank you again ). But as luck would have it, the 2 back bolts on my exhaust manifold were broken. I have taken it to the Ford dealer AND my local mechanic ( who has done very well by me for years and has done LOTS of these broken bolt removals ) Neither could get one bolt out.

So my local mechanic rigged something up, some sort of "patch" or something and it has seemed to work. I'm NOT looking forward to having to take my F150 for the exact same thing.
Old 12-10-2008, 10:45 AM
Suspended
Garage is empty, add now

couldnt get the bolt out? A mechanic and a Ford dealer??? wow, I got every one of mine out, even the ones that broke off deep inside the head in the way back of the motor. I had my drill bouncing off the firewall drilling it out. . .
Old 12-10-2008, 10:47 AM
Technical Article Contributor
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 1998 Ford F150 5.4L 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMIGGS View Post
I thought my "sound" was coming from the heat shields around the converters. ( you pointed out and I thank you again ). But as luck would have it, the 2 back bolts on my exhaust manifold were broken. I have taken it to the Ford dealer AND my local mechanic ( who has done very well by me for years and has done LOTS of these broken bolt removals ) Neither could get one bolt out.

So my local mechanic rigged something up, some sort of "patch" or something and it has seemed to work. I'm NOT looking forward to having to take my F150 for the exact same thing.
Exhaust leaks are pretty easy to determine. You didn't say you had one. -He did. :o
Old 12-10-2008, 10:52 AM
Garage is empty, add now

jimmyv13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camarothatcould View Post
I paid $110 for my passenger side stock manifold. . . .
Was that new? That may change things....
Old 12-10-2008, 10:54 AM
Suspended
Garage is empty, add now

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyv13 View Post
Was that new? That may change things....
yes
Old 12-10-2008, 10:54 AM
Garage is empty, add now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camarothatcould View Post
couldnt get the bolt out? A mechanic and a Ford dealer??? wow, I got every one of mine out, even the ones that broke off deep inside the head in the way back of the motor. I had my drill bouncing off the firewall drilling it out. . .
The mechanic @ the Ford dealer thinks that it was way over tightened when it was built and the end of the bolt might have "mushroomed" out into the head. He said that the mass majority of bolts come out just by welding another head onto the bolt.
Old 12-10-2008, 10:57 AM
Garage is empty, add now

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrew View Post
Exhaust leaks are pretty easy to determine. You didn't say you had one. -He did. :o
Don't get me wrong, I still appreicated your help. It sounded more like a rattle than a leak. If I didn't have to take my front tire off on the passenger side to get fixed and took a look while the wheel was off, I would have been banding the hell out of the converters.
Old 12-10-2008, 11:06 AM
Suspended
Garage is empty, add now

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMIGGS View Post
The mechanic @ the Ford dealer thinks that it was way over tightened when it was built and the end of the bolt might have "mushroomed" out into the head. He said that the mass majority of bolts come out just by welding another head onto the bolt.
hm. . . Guess the guy just didnt feel like booking alot of hours that week. . .

anyway, while yes, alot of the bolts will come out if you weld the nut to the end of them, other still need alot of heat to break the seal. I've threaded nuts on broken bolts 4-5 thread, welded, hit it with water, let it sit, and then have the nut twist right off. I had to heat the stud til red hot then torque it out sometimes
Old 12-10-2008, 11:06 AM