Global- Automotive COP E-Bay

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2008, 08:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jethat
If you used lots of dielectric grease you shouldnt have a problem with missfires.
yes I put dielectric grease in both ends of boot and then took tie wrap and worked it down into boot good before sliding boot over spring then gave it another shoot in end before putting over plug............

Old 12-28-2008, 10:23 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by champ7
COP and Plugs change is all done would I do it again? yes, I am pretty sure the 2nd time would go a lot quicker.Spent about 3 hours on the driver side today,ended up having to pull the fuel rail to get to #3 COP screw, I am guessing you mean the coil, 3rd one back from the front of the engine. That would be cylinder #7just could not get on it with any combination of sockets ,universal ,and extension I had. My trick was to put a slight bend in an open end wrench. It took quite a few 1/4 turns but I got it out that way. When I put it back in, I used copper
anti-seize and it went in most of the way by hand. Actually I used anti-seize on all of those bolts

The engine is running real smooth now ,no more roughness at idle and hopfully this will take care of the occasional misfires during rainy weather.Thanks to everyone that post the info on this site to do these jobs very helpfull.Did have one question how comes the MC COP's have a solid piece at the end of the spring and globals don't, does it make a differents?I havn't had an issue with the 7 COP's I put on from global. MC just has that there I assume to be sure they are making good contact with the top of the plug.
Next Job clean throttle body.Thanks and Happy New Year

Pictures of my Plugs at 59K and 10 years in truck,looked pretty desent yet.
https://www.f150online.com/forums/me...3804-plug2.jpg
https://www.f150online.com/forums/me...3803-plug1.jpg
My next job will be the throttle body and IAC next spring.

Old 03-13-2011, 03:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Misfire: COP or spark plug boot failure

Thank you to all members who have posted such valuable info about troubleshooting misfires...it was very helpful. At 115K, I got misfire code for cyl 4 on my 2002 4.6 F150, bought at 108K. I changed plugs 1-4 as I had no idea when if ever, they had been changed...the old plugs did not look too bad and were all about the same, so I cleared the code and drove on. After 100 miles, code came back with some noticeable intermittent roughness.

I listened to each injector (OK) then bought a coil tester. All COP's showed good. Hmmm. Ordered a fuel pump tester and also followed J. Brew's advice and got 'an 8 pack' of coils from eBay/Global for short money...around $90 w/shipping. Coils got here first so I replaced #4 coil and the truck began to run 'hot, straight and normal' again and has been fine now for 350 miles.

The failure is probably a short in the rubber spark plug boot but since it's fixed and I got new plugs, a coil tester, a pump tester and 7 spare COPS for less than $200, I'm a happy camper. Just please don't tell my wife about the new 0 -60 inch pound torque wrench.

Dave Smith

Quick Reply: Global- Automotive COP E-Bay