WHat's a good Portable Battery Booster?

Old 11-22-2008, 10:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question WHat's a good Portable Battery Booster?

i don't want to buy a cheap cheesy one, but i don't want to break the bank either.

and what about keeping it on my truck for months without having to use it? do you have to keep charging it every once in a while or does it keep a charge for long periods?

I was taking a look at this one. what do you guys think?

thanks.

Last edited by nu guy; 11-22-2008 at 10:52 PM.
Old 11-23-2008, 12:32 AM
i work with one guy that has the exact pack and it works fine

i got the best one the walmart had for xmas last year and ive used it a few times and only charged it twice and it still has a full charge and its only like 70 and has a light built in too

Old 11-23-2008, 01:16 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do yall have to jump your trucks much?

Old 11-23-2008, 09:38 AM
There also a similar one at Harbor Freight. Around $ 50 I think.

Old 11-23-2008, 11:30 AM
Originally Posted by rednoved
Do yall have to jump your trucks much?
over the last year, i've accidentally let my battery drain down pass the point of enough juice to start my truck mostly because i'm drawing so much electricity from my stereo system. i did it again last night so later on today i will be installing an Optima Yellow Top battery in my truck. from my experience, if "regular batteries" are drained all the way down more than a few times, it never seems to perform the same after that. i don't want to be somewhere in zero degree weather and my truck won't start.

plus, if someone asks me for a jump start, i have to politely tell the "no" because i've heard too many horror stories about someone's electrical system getting trashed or having to replace their computers in their trucks because of jumping someone's auto. so if i have a booster with me at all times, i can quickly assist someone in trouble without subjecting my truck to harm.

Old 11-23-2008, 11:34 AM
Originally Posted by nu guy
i don't want to buy a cheap cheesy one, but i don't want to break the bank either.

and what about keeping it on my truck for months without having to use it? do you have to keep charging it every once in a while or does it keep a charge for long periods?

I was taking a look at this one. what do you guys think?

thanks.
i have that exact same one behind the seat in my truck. i like it, it works for everything i've used it on. i've never had to jump start my truck but i have jump started a dodge cummins and saturns and my fourwheeler and its worked good so far.

Old 11-23-2008, 02:34 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I have a Sears Diehard 750 and like it. Same thing I have jumped the lawn tractor and quad, and a friends car. The thing seems to hold a charge forever. I just went deer hunting for 10 days. I threw it behind the seat of my truck, just in case. It had been sitting all summer in the garage so I figured it would be low. When I went to charge it up it was still at max charge. I think you could probably jump several vehicles with one charge. Anyway I am happy with mine. About $45.00.

Old 11-23-2008, 11:47 PM
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
I have one of these:

and one of these:

Old 11-23-2008, 11:55 PM
Originally Posted by Fifty150
I have one of these:

and one of these:

I'm thinking I am needing one now too. I have been in LA for the last two weeks on a project and just went to start the truck to take it out for a spin. It went Crank, Crank, Click.

I was thinking about one of those solar panels that go on the dash and plug into the cigarette lighter. anyone have any experience with one?

Old 11-23-2008, 11:59 PM
Originally Posted by Blown F-150

I was thinking about one of those solar panels that go on the dash and plug into the cigarette lighter. anyone have any experience with one?
I guess they could work. But how effective? Who knows. I wouldn't depend on that panel for a jump start. But it can't hurt if you've got good exposure to sunlight for a full day at a time.

Old 11-23-2008, 11:59 PM
I have one of the harbor freight ones. Used it twice and now the only thing that works is the light.

Old 11-24-2008, 12:04 AM
Originally Posted by Fifty150
I guess they could work. But how effective? Who knows. I wouldn't depend on that panel for a jump start. But it can't hurt if you've got good exposure to sunlight for a full day at a time.
I was thinking since the truck only gets used once a week, that it would be a good "battery tender" to help offset the parasitic draw that gets pulled from the battery. I am not sure where this much draw is coming from, but I have a lot of electronic crap in the truck that is on stand by even when shut off...like the satellite radio, TV screens, Alarm, door solenoids, etc.

Old 11-24-2008, 12:16 AM
I'm thinking about putting a couple on top of my cab, and then daisy chaining a few more over the tonneau cover.

Sunforce 50032 15 Watt Solar Battery Charger

Item#: 50032
UPC#: 834319000655

* Works with Automobiles, RV’s, Boats,Tractors, ATVs, Electric Fences, Deer Feeders, Telemetry, and More
* Maintenance Free / Easy Installation
* Works in All Weather Conditions
* Ultra Bright Blue LED Provides Charging Indication
* Built-in Blocking Diode Protects Battery Discharge at Night
* Made of Durable ABS Plastic with an Amorphous Solar Cell
* Temperature Range: -40° to 176° F
* Max Output 15 Watts 1 Amp

Old 11-24-2008, 12:18 AM
Originally Posted by JMoreland
I have one of the harbor freight ones. Used it twice and now the only thing that works is the light.
don't buy anything from Harbor Freight

Old 11-24-2008, 12:47 AM
Yeah, never heard of anything good from there. I got this one as a gift, just wish it would have lasted longer.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: WHat's a good Portable Battery Booster?