Flushing the fuel

Old 11-19-2008, 04:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flushing the fuel

I had a 'check engine' light up so stopped at a dealer - reported it was probably from a loose gas cap - code was cleared but I was told if it came on again I would need a canister vent valve as it probably had a leak. I had refueled a week or more ago.

I have a '97 F150 Ext Cab 4x4 with only 78K miles. Both the truck and my wife's '98 Expy (145K miles) have had the loose gas cap code before so I don't panic when the dash light comes on, still, need to get it checked tho.

It was $89 to check the code plus perform general insp and top fluids. Maybe it's time for me to buy one of those computer code readers - all I want to do is read the codes and/or clear the codes. If the code is something important, I'll give the code number to the dealer and get a repair. Any suggestions on a brand of code reader?

They also suggested, for my $89, that I will need a fuel filter soon and maybe a fuel 'flush' for $175.95 (TECK 861 SA 1008 - what ever these mean). What does a fuel flush accomplish? Seems to me the fuel is always fresh as I need to add fresh fuel when It gets low - so what gets 'flushed'? Is this simply flushing / agitating the fuel in the bottom of the tank to remove and sediment or moisture in the tank? Seems the fuel would be agitated just from driving over the RR tracks and pot-holes and with stops and accelerations.

Thanks

Old 11-19-2008, 04:40 PM
if you live anywhere except california you can go to autozone and get the codes read for free. just an option if the cel comes back on.

never heard of a fuel flush unless they mean an injector cleaning or fuel system cleaning.

Old 11-19-2008, 04:50 PM
I have never seen/heard of it being done on a gas powered vehicle. I know that in a diesel vehicle that doesnt get driven often, sludge will build up in the bottom of the tank. Flushing it involves getting all of the sludge and old fuel out of the bottom of the tank, making you truck run better since the fuel pick up is submersed in that sludge at the bottom of the tank.

I would try replacing the fuel filter yourself, and running fuel system cleaner through it and see if it solves the problem. If it doesnt, have the flush done.

Old 11-19-2008, 05:41 PM
Great news about autozone doing a free cel - Thanks.

Yeah, I had to clean the diesel fuel on the 400 gal fuel tank on my 38' Marine Trader trawler - still had to change the 2 Raycor fuel filters often anyway :-)

For the F150 the dealer said they run the gas thru a machine that 'cleans the fuel' - doesn't sound like something I would pay $176 for tho!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Flushing the fuel