Go Back   F150online Forums > Powertrain & Mechanical > V8 Engines
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Photos Vin Decoder FAQ Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read VendorsGarage




Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-15-2008, 10:10 PM
Senior Member
Garage is empty, add now
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Spring TX
Vehicle: 1997 Ford F150
Posts: 809
Send a message via AIM to willys5555 Send a message via Yahoo to willys5555
How to take off tensioner pulley?

My truck has been making a sqeaking noise lately and it is getting worse. so i opened the hood and it appeared to be coming from either the idler pulley or the tensioner pulley. so i decided to replace the idler pulley today because it was easy to get to (except when i put the belt back on, it was off a little bit and broke so i had to spend an extra $40 ). but the noise is still there so it has to be the tensioner pulley. and after reading on here i used a mechanics stethascope and it is definatly the tensioner. i just cant figure out how to get the tensioner pulley out. i have a 1997 f150 with the 4.6. does the whole thing come off as an assembly? there is no nut on it where i can see right now. i saw several bolts all around the whole assembly...are those the ones i have to take off to replace the tensioner pulley? if someone has a drawing of how to get it off or even pictures, that would be amazing.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-16-2008, 02:06 AM
Senior Member
Garage is empty, add now
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Vancouver
Vehicle: 2006 Ford F350
Posts: 758
I'm not sure about the 4.6, but it should be the same as my 5.4. There are three 10mm bolts that hold the entire assembly to the front of the motor. once you pull it out you will see the bolt that holds the pulley it self onto the tensioner is on the "engine side", I think mine was a 13mm head on the bolt and it came off pretty easy just like the idler pulley. Make sure when you get the replacement it's the same diameter as the one on the tensioner. the idler pulley is larger than the one on the tensioner and I have been handed the wrong one from the autoparts store. You should also just be able to get the replacement bearing instead of the entire pulley.

I just had the same issue and it turned out to be the alternator bearing.

Good luck.
__________________
2006 F-350 Crew Cab Lariat. Diesel.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-16-2008, 03:24 AM
Senior Member
Garage is empty, add now
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Minnesota
Vehicle: 1999 Ford F 150
Posts: 957
3 bolts on the front of the assembly...thats it, comes right off. ALTHOUGH, i garuntee you its your idler pulley, they are $13 bucks at your local parts store, if not, less. They are very very commmen, in fact i just replaced mine. Just take the center bolt out and it comes off. You can even take the belt off, spin the pulley with your hand freely and you can hear a faint squeel, than its it, they should not make any noise at all and should be snug, not loose. Go try that i bet you will find your answer!
__________________
99' F 150 4.6 swapped 02' 5.4 and trans.

*Comp Cams #102600 with ported heads,Trick Flow valves and Comp Cam springs
*Yukon 4.56 Gears with Eaton posi unit
*Moser axles and diff cover
*K&N intake
*Edge programmer
*Pulleys
*Full true dual with long tubes.

Last edited by FRod; 11-16-2008 at 03:28 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-16-2008, 03:49 AM
Senior Member
Garage is empty, add now
 
Join Date: Jan 1999
Location: WINDSOR, ONTARIO, CANADA
Vehicle: "99" FORD F-150
Posts: 7,010
Cool

HI!... Just repack the bearing. Or you can go down to your local bearing supplier and get a replacement high speed bearing for like $5. It's a waste to change the idler pulley. The pulley on the belt tensioner is not sold separately. It only comes with the tensioner. I tried to buy one from the ford dealership years ago.

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.
__________________
"1999" F-150 XLT SPORT, BUILT 5.4, all N/A.
354RWH.P/392RWTQ (no tune, yet) on 8 cylinders/ 1/8= 8.4, 13.60E.T (on 7 cylinders, broken ring in #5), 1.8 60FT.

"2007" FORD RANGER SPORT, EC, SB, 4X2, 4.0L. 1/8= 8.8, 13.83E.T
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-16-2008, 03:51 AM
Senior Member
Garage is empty, add now
 
Join Date: Jan 1999
Location: WINDSOR, ONTARIO, CANADA
Vehicle: "99" FORD F-150
Posts: 7,010
Cool

HI!... The bearings in the pulleys are easy to swap out.

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.
__________________
"1999" F-150 XLT SPORT, BUILT 5.4, all N/A.
354RWH.P/392RWTQ (no tune, yet) on 8 cylinders/ 1/8= 8.4, 13.60E.T (on 7 cylinders, broken ring in #5), 1.8 60FT.

"2007" FORD RANGER SPORT, EC, SB, 4X2, 4.0L. 1/8= 8.8, 13.83E.T
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-16-2008, 08:25 AM
Senior Member
1997 Ford F-150
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: >wwOwww<
Vehicle: 1997 F150
Posts: 1,509
The first one I changed, I went ahead and bought the whole assembly, and replaced it.
I then bought a replacement bearing for the old one at a local Applied industries bearing
supply. The bearing from there is a better quality. I used that one about six months later
on another F150. It's conveniant to buy the whole assembly if you don't do this as a hobby.

In Neals picture you just insert a 1/2" breakover handle to release the tension to flip the belt off.
Just get it back in the right grooves as not to damage it.
__________________

Last edited by Tumba; 11-16-2008 at 08:29 AM. Reason: added instruction
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-16-2008, 12:07 PM
Senior Member
Garage is empty, add now
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Spring TX
Vehicle: 1997 Ford F150
Posts: 809
Send a message via AIM to willys5555 Send a message via Yahoo to willys5555
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRod View Post
3 bolts on the front of the assembly...thats it, comes right off. ALTHOUGH, i garuntee you its your idler pulley, they are $13 bucks at your local parts store, if not, less. They are very very commmen, in fact i just replaced mine. Just take the center bolt out and it comes off. You can even take the belt off, spin the pulley with your hand freely and you can hear a faint squeel, than its it, they should not make any noise at all and should be snug, not loose. Go try that i bet you will find your answer!
already changed the idler pulley...it still makes the noise. it is the pulley on the tensioner. and the idler pulley was $30.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-16-2008, 12:09 PM
Senior Member
Garage is empty, add now
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Spring TX
Vehicle: 1997 Ford F150
Posts: 809
Send a message via AIM to willys5555 Send a message via Yahoo to willys5555
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blown F-150 View Post
I'm not sure about the 4.6, but it should be the same as my 5.4. There are three 10mm bolts that hold the entire assembly to the front of the motor. once you pull it out you will see the bolt that holds the pulley it self onto the tensioner is on the "engine side", I think mine was a 13mm head on the bolt and it came off pretty easy just like the idler pulley. Make sure when you get the replacement it's the same diameter as the one on the tensioner. the idler pulley is larger than the one on the tensioner and I have been handed the wrong one from the autoparts store. You should also just be able to get the replacement bearing instead of the entire pulley.

I just had the same issue and it turned out to be the alternator bearing.

Good luck.
i used a "mechanics stethascope and have determined that it is the tensioner pulley. but if i just replace the bearing...wouldnt i need a press and everything to get it out?
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-16-2008, 12:32 PM
Technical Article Contributor
Garage is empty, add now
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: MI
Vehicle: 1998 Ford F150 5.4L 4X4
Posts: 25,386
What a coincidence , I was going to start a new thread on this. I just removed mine last night real quick. I have some on the way - Gates tensioner w/pulley/ Gates idler/ new clutch fan/Gates belt/ new HP Fan (plastic).

Thing is, I 'm not sure if the gates tensioner is going to right one. They list that it is, but their picture of it isn't right. I need the tensioner replaced because the aluminum posts the pulley sits on are wore.

I have a quarter million miles + on this tensioner and pulley's w/ black colored bearings. The bearings are tight, but noisy as hell!!

The pulley w/orange colored bearing has 60k on it and it came from an explorer, but it's quiet, not one peep. That's what I'm after as far as the idler goes....Tensioners another story.

Suggestions ? I'll send what I have coming back if there's a better route. - I want the GOOD SH^T - Spare no expense

Click the image to open in full size.


Thanks , brew

Last edited by jbrew; 11-16-2008 at 12:49 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-16-2008, 12:37 PM
Technical Article Contributor
Garage is empty, add now
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: MI
Vehicle: 1998 Ford F150 5.4L 4X4
Posts: 25,386
Quote:
Originally Posted by willys5555 View Post
i used a "mechanics stethascope and have determined that it is the tensioner pulley. but if i just replace the bearing...wouldnt i need a press and everything to get it out?

Yea , you need a tensioner. I did the same thing with a stethoscope/ plus I have it here in front of me - same deal - It's loud as f^ck. - BUT! The bearings tight..?

Tensioners wore.

Last edited by jbrew; 11-16-2008 at 12:43 PM. Reason: Can't spell?
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 11-16-2008, 12:47 PM
Technical Article Contributor
Garage is empty, add now
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: MI
Vehicle: 1998 Ford F150 5.4L 4X4
Posts: 25,386
Anyone know if the Visteon is any good?

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/se...5608+1616+5919

Heres the one that will be here tues/weds - The Gates I ordered -

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/se...20Ford%20F-150

Is DAYCO any good ? -

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/se...20Ford%20F-150
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 11-16-2008, 03:02 PM
Senior Member
Garage is empty, add now
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Spring TX
Vehicle: 1997 Ford F150
Posts: 809
Send a message via AIM to willys5555 Send a message via Yahoo to willys5555
ok guys i got it fixed and it makes no more noise!! after several issues of course. haha

so i took off the tensioner assembly and it was clearly that pulley. it would grind horribly in my hand. and my original plan was that if the pulleys were the same size, i would put the new idler pulley on the tensioner and the old one back where it is since it was fine. that way the older one was in an easier to acces location. but come to find out they were different sizes so i tried popping out the bearing off the old idler to put it in the tensioner but i messed up the bearings in the process. so i went to the auto parts store and asked for just the bearing and they didnt have that so i had to buy the whole pulley. so i come home to put it all together, get it on the truck and start it up...it makes a horrible sound way different than before. so i assumed it was the belt(because i blew up a belt the night before) but everything seemed fine. so i take off the belt and reach down and the tensioner pulley is rubbing on the block. so i assumed they had gived me the wrong one. so everything came off again. but the pulleys were the same size. but i figured out that we had put the pulley on backwards. what looks like the right way is the wrong way because it gets put on the truck backwards. so it was sticking out too far. so we switched that around and everything is great now. so to say the least...i feel i am almost an expert at taking that tensioner pulley assembly off.

but in the end, everything worked out great. if any of yall have any questions, feel free to ask and i will see if i can spread the wealth of what i have learned. and thanks for all yalls help on here guys. yall are a great help.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 11-16-2008, 03:07 PM
Technical Article Contributor
Garage is empty, add now
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: MI
Vehicle: 1998 Ford F150 5.4L 4X4
Posts: 25,386
Found some at Summit that look better, I think I'll order, not much choice on the 98, but they carry AC Clutches as well - I want to replace everything up front - To many miles - I'll be needing the truck again after the first of the year to pull 3500-4000 lbs across a few states - preventive maintenance ..

Maybe I start my own thread ? - Sorry *****, don't mean to steel yours..

Summits stuff -

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...677+4294840115

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...=1#Application
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 11-16-2008, 03:09 PM
Technical Article Contributor
Garage is empty, add now
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: MI
Vehicle: 1998 Ford F150 5.4L 4X4
Posts: 25,386
Quote:
Originally Posted by willys5555 View Post
ok guys i got it fixed and it makes no more noise!! after several issues of course. haha

so i took off the tensioner assembly and it was clearly that pulley. it would grind horribly in my hand. and my original plan was that if the pulleys were the same size, i would put the new idler pulley on the tensioner and the old one back where it is since it was fine. that way the older one was in an easier to acces location. but come to find out they were different sizes so i tried popping out the bearing off the old idler to put it in the tensioner but i messed up the bearings in the process. so i went to the auto parts store and asked for just the bearing and they didnt have that so i had to buy the whole pulley. so i come home to put it all together, get it on the truck and start it up...it makes a horrible sound way different than before. so i assumed it was the belt(because i blew up a belt the night before) but everything seemed fine. so i take off the belt and reach down and the tensioner pulley is rubbing on the block. so i assumed they had gived me the wrong one. so everything came off again. but the pulleys were the same size. but i figured out that we had put the pulley on backwards. what looks like the right way is the wrong way because it gets put on the truck backwards. so it was sticking out too far. so we switched that around and everything is great now. so to say the least...i feel i am almost an expert at taking that tensioner pulley assembly off.

but in the end, everything worked out great. if any of yall have any questions, feel free to ask and i will see if i can spread the wealth of what i have learned. and thanks for all yalls help on here guys. yall are a great help.
Your confusing me - Tensioner pulley is called that. Idler pulley is separate unless your talking about another vehicle , not a truck/ford..? Unless you are talking about the same thing and was just pulleys ? That would just cause more drag and kill some of your power - Wouldn't advise. - Pulleys are sized in accordance too ..

BTW- Why do you say the pulley goes on backwards to be right ? There's only one way that's right - Backwards isn't right ? I'm confused again.

Last edited by jbrew; 11-16-2008 at 03:21 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 11-16-2008, 03:26 PM
Technical Article Contributor
Garage is empty, add now
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: MI
Vehicle: 1998 Ford F150 5.4L 4X4
Posts: 25,386
Could someone tell me if #5 was an option ? I don't have one of these installed, never have.

Click the image to open in full size.
Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 03:26 PM


 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:30 AM.


 
This forum is owned and operated by Internet Brands, Inc., a Delaware corporation. It is not authorized or endorsed by the Ford Motor Company and is not affiliated with the Ford Motor Company or its related companies in any way. FordŽ is a registered trademark of the Ford Motor Company
Contact Us Advertising Privacy Statement Terms of Service Jobs Forum Text Archives
Emails & Contact Details

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.5.2