Perplexing overcooling on 97 4.6

Old 12-22-2008, 02:46 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
Usually no, unless you want to take off the fender. I mean most times on trucks the hoist will barely get high enough to clear the radiator and grill, and the fenders are usually another 2-3" higher then that.

It would be possible to have the hoist to the side of the truck, it would just be a bitch

Old 12-22-2008, 03:23 PM
Foe
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Patman03SprCrw
It would be possible to have the hoist to the side of the truck, it would just be a bitch
OK thanks bud. didn't think so, but thought I'd ask...

Just got back from buying some ratcheting box end extended beam wrenches. Man these things are a dream when it comes to getting to the 13mm bolts around the tranny.

Old 12-22-2008, 04:12 PM
Foe
How many bellhousing bolts are there on the 4.6? <Never mind - I just found it - there are 6>

Last edited by Foe; 12-27-2008 at 01:44 PM.
Old 12-27-2008, 12:10 PM
Foe
Motor mounts

Both of my manuals say to remove the insulator bolt from the motor mounts for engine removal. After looking at this I believe the entire engine mount pad (that bolts directly to the block) has to be removed.

Do I have to remove the entire engine mount pad or can I get by with just removing the single bolt that runs forward/aft?

Old 12-27-2008, 01:40 PM
Foe
Question Need a hoisting guru.....

I cannot get the engine to break loose.

ALL 6 tranny bolts and 4 converter nuts are off. Engine mount bolts are off. All hoses/wire harnesses/fuel/tranny lines are free. Exhaust manifold connections are unbolted. Tranny is supported with 5 ton ratchet strap attached to the frame (very tight).

I have a load leveler so I can shift the hoisting point.

Engine will begin to rise (in front), but it is binding at the tranny on the passenger side (I can see a gap in the driver side engine to bellhousing, but it's tight on the passenger side - no gap).

What confuses me is the flexplate/torque converter nuts. Are you supposed to drive the torque converter bolts (aft/rear) to disengage the flexplate/flywheel?

I haven't attempted this, but I can see where these bolts would cause a binding condition since I'm trying to left vertically and they're still sticking through the flywheel approximately 3/8".

What am I doing wrong?

Old 12-27-2008, 01:52 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Have you removed the starter?

Old 12-27-2008, 02:29 PM
Foe
Originally Posted by masseyman
Have you removed the starter?
Yep - forgot to mention that

Old 12-28-2008, 03:29 PM
Foe
It's out!

Finally got the engine out! Never thought an engine removal would make me happy.

I found the last hidden stud behind the bracket that holds the transmission dipstick....

In the process of swapping out components

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Perplexing overcooling on 97 4.6