Perplexing overcooling on 97 4.6

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2008, 03:44 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jbrew
Very easy to bleed - ALWAYS fill exspansion tank with top hose OFF thermostat housing. When coolant makes it's way to the thermostat, THEN connect hose and continue to fill to the line.

Then Start- warm up with heat cranked and with expansion tank cap removed - It's bled.

BTW - T-stat spring MUST be pointing toward the ground.
Brew- have you seen the fill systems that they have now that threads the fill hose to the lowest point (either radiator or wherever the factory overflow hose goes to, down low), and pulls a vacuum on the system and you close vacuum valve and open fill valve and it sucks it very quickly to the lowest point and eliminates any chance of air pockets to say nothing of a quick and spill free fill. Pretty neat, especially for those troublesome systems with no bleed valve.

Old 11-21-2008, 03:56 AM
Originally Posted by Foe
Thermostat is 195

Going to break down and take it to the dealer Monday. I believe there's air trapped in the system and I've been unable to bleed it. will let you know what they find out.

I hate going to a dealer not knowing exactly what needs to be done/replaced. Puts you at the mercy of the parts department....
I could be wrong (have been before, once when I thought I was wrong but wasn't ), but I still believe the engine isn't PRODUCING the heat. Don't know if an A/F ratio sensor could be haywire enough to put enough gas in there to make it run that cold but I still think the answer is in some such area. Read my other post from today. I don't think trapped air is going to make it run that cold. Air (as well as exhaust gasses) heat quicker than coolant, not slower.

Old 11-21-2008, 03:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well Im just offering my thoughts as my experience is identical to the symptoms that foe has experienced and my head gasket/cracked cyl head is now bad. Strong smell of antifreeze out tail pipe. Bubbles in coolant tank etc..Slightly rough idle when cold to slightly warm. Once its up to operating temp and gets all the air out it runs like new with great heat. What else can it be? I have changed everything as it sounds foe has. Radiator, t-stat, waterpump, several engine flushes etc...My money is on what I said earlier. I guess we will find out soon enough..Foe if you do have it fixed and it is not either a bad head gasket or warped or cracked head PLEASE let me know. I would like a nice easy fix..
My truck has been doing this for quite some time but only a few thousand miles as I drive 2.5 miles to work and drive another vehicle as well. I posted here a while back about this problem as I was perplexed as well..
Gerald

Old 11-21-2008, 08:23 PM
Originally Posted by code58
Brew- have you seen the fill systems that they have now that threads the fill hose to the lowest point (either radiator or wherever the factory overflow hose goes to, down low), and pulls a vacuum on the system and you close vacuum valve and open fill valve and it sucks it very quickly to the lowest point and eliminates any chance of air pockets to say nothing of a quick and spill free fill. Pretty neat, especially for those troublesome systems with no bleed valve.
yup your thinking of a "rad kit plus", use it all the time

Old 11-22-2008, 03:13 AM
Originally Posted by CNY98F150
Well Im just offering my thoughts as my experience is identical to the symptoms that foe has experienced and my head gasket/cracked cyl head is now bad. Strong smell of antifreeze out tail pipe. Bubbles in coolant tank etc..Slightly rough idle when cold to slightly warm. Once its up to operating temp and gets all the air out it runs like new with great heat. What else can it be? I have changed everything as it sounds foe has. Radiator, t-stat, waterpump, several engine flushes etc...My money is on what I said earlier. I guess we will find out soon enough..Foe if you do have it fixed and it is not either a bad head gasket or warped or cracked head PLEASE let me know. I would like a nice easy fix..
My truck has been doing this for quite some time but only a few thousand miles as I drive 2.5 miles to work and drive another vehicle as well. I posted here a while back about this problem as I was perplexed as well..
Gerald
CNY98F150- Do you have the same running cold, unable to get it to warm up problem? I thought that the blown gasket normally caused heating problems, not "unable to get to normal temp" problems. Barr's leak has always been an excellent block seal (they have a # of different leak sealing products) and now they have a sealer for problems just like Ford's late 90's blown gasket problem. You install it directly into the anti-freeze and leave it! I have used their block seal in the past and found it to be an excellent product. Unlike some radiator sealers, it WILL NOT clog the system because of the way it is designed to work. I have never used the gasket leak sealer but I can attest to the fact of the quality of their other products. They have been around forever and have always had an excellent reputation. (no, I do not have any financial interest in the company) With the cost to replace the head gaskets what it is, I think it is well worth a try.

Old 11-22-2008, 09:39 AM
code58 yes it cycles a few times ,engine gets warm, gets cold, heater blows cold, blows warm etc...It takes about 10 to 15 miles before thing seem to return to normal and the temp guage and the heat become normal..One thing I forgot to mention and this is something I believe you mentioned. With the exhaust leaking into the cooling system and pumping up the cooling system until the engine warms up, I have to be easy on the engine or it will knock pretty easily. Hot spots(lack of cooling) from the trapped air and hot exhaust I guess. I have thought of trying a block sealer..To cold and snowy for me to be pulling heads here outside today, garage is full..

Old 11-22-2008, 10:27 AM
Why not just try to flip the thermostat over... and see what happens? I'm pretty sure it can't hurt you any more than the problem you're having now.....

I sometimes have found that I check and check and check and even when I still know for sure that it right. I just say EFF it! I'll just try it the other way and see what happens.

Not necessarily a thermostat, but I just know I'm a very stubborn person.

Old 11-23-2008, 03:28 AM
Originally Posted by CNY98F150
code58 yes it cycles a few times ,engine gets warm, gets cold, heater blows cold, blows warm etc...It takes about 10 to 15 miles before thing seem to return to normal and the temp guage and the heat become normal..One thing I forgot to mention and this is something I believe you mentioned. With the exhaust leaking into the cooling system and pumping up the cooling system until the engine warms up, I have to be easy on the engine or it will knock pretty easily. Hot spots(lack of cooling) from the trapped air and hot exhaust I guess. I have thought of trying a block sealer..To cold and snowy for me to be pulling heads here outside today, garage is full..
Just a suggestion but I would try the Barr's leak for head gaskets that I mentioned. They make stuff that works- I have never tried this but I would if I had your situation. The great part is you just put it in with the anti-freeze and forget it.

Last edited by code58; 11-23-2008 at 03:30 AM.
Old 11-25-2008, 12:33 PM
Foe
Originally Posted by code58
Just a suggestion but I would try the Barr's leak for head gaskets that I mentioned. They make stuff that works- I have never tried this but I would if I had your situation. The great part is you just put it in with the anti-freeze and forget it.
Thanks for the input and this may be the route I will pursue. Just got off the phone with Ford and the problem is a leaking head gasket or cracked head. There is compression (pressure) entering the coolant. Bad news, but what I suspected all along....Just didn't want to think about it ;-)

Old 11-25-2008, 07:55 PM
Foe
Next obvious question....

I believe it is the left hand head because I recently had the left hand exhaust manifold replaced and the mechanic told me the manifold had a "weird" expansion condition on one of the flanges on that side. Maybe...that condition was due to localized overheating?

Anyway, looking at the left side bank it appears that removing the head will be nothing short of a nightmare due to limited access at the rear of the head. Is it even possible to pull the head without doing anything special (as in lifting the cab)? At first glance I am worried that there isn't sufficient clearance to remove the head bolts. Please tell me I'm mistaken

EDIT - I saw another post on here that said the engine had to be pulled to replace the gasket. So I guess I'll just drive her until she dies...

Foe

Last edited by Foe; 11-25-2008 at 08:04 PM.
Old 11-25-2008, 08:23 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Foe
I believe it is the left hand head because I recently had the left hand exhaust manifold replaced and the mechanic told me the manifold had a "weird" expansion condition on one of the flanges on that side. Maybe...that condition was due to localized overheating?

Anyway, looking at the left side bank it appears that removing the head will be nothing short of a nightmare due to limited access at the rear of the head. Is it even possible to pull the head without doing anything special (as in lifting the cab)? At first glance I am worried that there isn't sufficient clearance to remove the head bolts. Please tell me I'm mistaken

EDIT - I saw another post on here that said the engine had to be pulled to replace the gasket. So I guess I'll just drive her until she dies...

Foe

It doesn't HAVE to be pulled, - it's just ideal. Allot easier unless you don't have what you need to pull it.. I use a WARN Winch to pull mine, but you can rent piullers pretty cheap.

You CAN do it in the truck, it's just awkward as hell and more of a PITA.

BTW - Use passenger side and drivers side to designate right and left. People think of right and left differently on the motor. Not saying your wrong - Left is Drivers side / Right is passenger, - We don't know if you know that..

Old 11-27-2008, 03:55 AM
Originally Posted by Foe
Thanks for the input and this may be the route I will pursue. Just got off the phone with Ford and the problem is a leaking head gasket or cracked head. There is compression (pressure) entering the coolant. Bad news, but what I suspected all along....Just didn't want to think about it ;-)
Foe- I will admit I don't know everything there is to know but in all my years (too many), I have NEVER seen a leaky or blown head gasket cause OVERCOOLING. Overheating yes, but overcooling, no. That just does not make sense. The hot exhaust gases cause air pockets which cause OVERHEATING and when the pocket moves on, rapid cooling and in the case of alum/cast iron a potential sealing of the leak because of the expansion of the aluminum component. You generally have rather rigid hoses also, because of the pressure of the exhaust gases in the cooling system. It will be interesting to see how this plays out because it defies reasoning from anything I have ever seen.

Old 11-27-2008, 04:00 AM
Originally Posted by Foe
I have a 1997 F150 4.6L with 183k miles and the engine is overcooling

Little background:
- Coolant has been flushed
- New Theromostat(s)
- New fan clutch
- Heater core relaced 50k miles ago

I've read similar topics on the net concerning this problem, but none of the topics cover my exact problem.

The engine temp never reaches normal range. Heater used to make your eyes water. Engine operating temp on the temp gage is 1/3 cooler than the motor ran previously. Now temp only climbs about 1/4 of the way into the normal range.

Temp can be verified by grasping top radiator hose which is only warm after 20 minutes of driving.

Coolant reservoir holding pressure after 24 hrs of idle time

Now here's the perplexing part; I removed the plastic cowling to get to the radiator and slid a piece of cardboard between the radiator and the evaporator as a shadetree test.... The cardboard is tight against the radiator. The cardboard covers 7/8ths of the radiator surface area. 30 miles of driving...ZERO change in engine temp. Zero

After the cardboard test, I can still place my hand on the top radiator hose and hold it there. Engine doesn't make any tinking sounds associated with the cooling of a hot engine. The engine is only warm to the touch.

Here's another tidbit....when I FIRST run the engine for say 3-4 miles and heater begins to blow slightly warm air then come to a stop, the heater will blow cold air. The temp gage falls back to cold and will sometimes slowly rise back to lukewarm and actually blow lukewarm air. Other times the temp gage drops, heater blows cold then the temp gage spikes to super hot. Shut engine off for a few seconds and lukewarm temp returns thru the heater and temp gage reads warm....This is an indication of trapped air in the system.

So how in the heck can I have trapped air (which woud make an engine run hotter) and still have an engine I can touch with a bare hand after running it for miles....?

If any of you brainiacs can figure this out I'd really appreciate it...
This is an indication of leaky head gasket, The rest is not.

Old 11-28-2008, 10:59 PM
Foe
Originally Posted by jbrew
You CAN do it in the truck, it's just awkward as hell and more of a PITA.

BTW - Use passenger side and drivers side to designate right and left. People think of right and left differently on the motor. Not saying your wrong - Left is Drivers side / Right is passenger, - We don't know if you know that..
Thanks

It is the drivers side (I believe), but that's only based on the bad exhaust manifold flange I spoke of earlier. We'll at least it will be a 50/50 shot

I was wondering if you can extract and/or insert the head bolts in the back part of the head if I chose to go the PITA route of pulling the head without removing the engine.

I confirmed it definitely is a bad head or head gasket today. Took the oil filler cap off and saw a water/oil mix on the bottom of the cap...Changing oil in the AM.

Will let you all know how this goes...thanks for the help

Old 11-29-2008, 01:56 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Foe
Thanks

It is the drivers side (I believe), but that's only based on the bad exhaust manifold flange I spoke of earlier. We'll at least it will be a 50/50 shot

I was wondering if you can extract and/or insert the head bolts in the back part of the head if I chose to go the PITA route of pulling the head without removing the engine.

I confirmed it definitely is a bad head or head gasket today. Took the oil filler cap off and saw a water/oil mix on the bottom of the cap...Changing oil in the AM.

Will let you all know how this goes...thanks for the help
Yes about the bolts. There's Crazy MoFoe's on this site that's replaced the head gaskets with the motor bolted down; reinstalled heads with Long Tube headers attached

It can be done..

The oil filler cap isn't an issue if you live in a cold climate. That's moister build up mainly caused from short trips in cold weather..

Quick Reply: Perplexing overcooling on 97 4.6