Low knocking sound upon cold startup

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2009, 07:45 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Cactusppp
I had the same "diesel noise" in my 2002 F-150. Took it to a relatives shop and it turned out to be the timing chain guides. One had broken off at the bottom and the piece just bounced around inside the cover.I was lucky not to have grenaded the motor. Thought it was the cam phasers turned out to be something else. Even at the "family rate" it cost me $1400.00 so keep tht oil changed guys and spend a little extra for the good filter. Make sure it has an anti-drainback valve.
"Cam phasers" are only in 3v engines starting in 04..

Old 12-21-2009, 10:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Knock on start up and filter.

I learned from my mechanic that the F150 has hydraulic timing chain tensioners and that until the oil pressure comes up you will hear a "knock" that sounds like a lifter. No worries. As far as the oil filter I have been using
a K&N.

Old 12-22-2009, 05:20 PM
It appears my '07 Expy has the very brief startup knock described on this thread and on the video. Very intermittent and only happens after sitting for 8-10 hours. Sounds like the timing chain tensioner is leaking down oil causing the knock. Question: Is this problem something I should have repaired, or should I consider it normal? Another question: Would this repair be covered under the 3-year/60k warranty? Thanks all. BTW I'm using a Motorcraft oil filter and Motorcraft 5w-20 Synthetic oil.

Old 12-22-2009, 05:54 PM
jpslabau - If your expy is still under warranty, and your worried about the noise at all I would go ahead and take it in. That's what the warranty is for, to take care of problem you might have. So take advantage of it while you still have it and get it fixed.

Cactusppp - I'm pretty sure the K&N oil filters are nothing but re-branded Purolators with a nut welded to the top. So I would recommend not spending the extra $10 every oil change for the same filter lol.

- Erik

Old 12-22-2009, 06:14 PM
Originally Posted by apeiron
MY F150 has a really odd sound upon startup and for about a minute after when it is cold out in the morning. It is a constant knock that rises and falls accordingly to the RPM of the engine. Does anyone have any clue what this sound could be? It is definitely not a ticking, it sounds close to what a diesel sounds like.
I have the same noise going on, but it does'nt really go away after its warmed up. You guys made a suggestion for the 5.4 motor, how ever my engine is the 4.6 triton in a 2001 supercrew. Any thoughts? Oh yeah the truck has 212000 mile on it.

Old 12-22-2009, 07:16 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The key to diagnosing any noise is to first locate it. I know thats pretty obvious but heres a way you can do it yourself. A mechanics stethescope is cheap and one of the best tools for locating a noise there is. I would first remove the serpentine belt and start the vehicle, if there is no noise then suspect one of the front end accessory drive (FEAD)components like the belt tensioner, one of the front cover pulleys, A/C, P/S ALT, waterpump. It's a process of elimination. If the noise is present with belt removed take the stethescope and place it at the front cover just below the cam covers. Then at the very front of the cam covers, next move down the top of the cam covers to the back. A person who has done this a few times can actually tell what lash adjuster or follower is defective. Where is the noise the loudest? If it sounds like its under the truck crawl under and place the scope against the oil pan then the underside of the block below the exhaust manifolds. You get the idea. A noise at the front cover below the cam covers is either a chain tensioner or a cam phaser.The lower the noise on the cover the more likely a chain tensioner the higher on the cover and right at the front of the cam cover usually a phaser. A noise at the top of a cam cover is probably a lash adjuster or follower. Oil pan your looking at a rod bearing in most cases.If you suspect a rod bearing then disconnect each injector one at a time. If the noise lessens on a particular cyl that one is suspect. Mid block below exhaust manifolds possible wrist pin or piston. I know in some cases you don't get much time to find it. Then check various areas for several days on cold startups. Most of the time you can get close by just listening but the scope helps you zone in on a particular component much easier. The dieseling sound discription is usually heavier than a cam phaser tick IMO and I suspect its a chain tensioner. But thats just a guess. Good luck.

Last edited by DYNOTECH; 12-22-2009 at 09:24 PM.

Quick Reply: Low knocking sound upon cold startup