Low knocking sound upon cold startup

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2008, 08:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just out of curiosity who makes the #1 oil filter? I thought it was the mobil 1 filter, that is why i run it.

For the record, i too thought about that, ford would have to prove that the oil filter caused the knock.

Old 09-29-2008, 09:34 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by apeiron
Just out of curiosity who makes the #1 oil filter? I thought it was the mobil 1 filter, that is why i run it.

For the record, i too thought about that, ford would have to prove that the oil filter caused the knock.
There you go...you're getting the hang of it

Amsoil EaO (11 for your truck) holds the #1 spot, and the Mobil 1 is a strong #2!!!(opinion of course) Both are full synthetic media filters and if I didn't use Amsoil, it'd be the Mobil 1. Just because everyone and their brother on here swears by the Motorcraft doesn't necessairily make it the best...just the most popular. Don't get me wrong guys, it's not a bad filterand there's not a damn thing wrong with it, it's just not the end-all/be-all of oil filters. Another reason I wouldn't use one is I don't change my oil every 3,000 miles, but I'm not gonna sidetrack this thread.

Last edited by Galaxy; 09-29-2008 at 09:41 PM.
Old 09-30-2008, 01:14 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Galaxy
HA HA!! MAN, you guys crack me up sometimes with your (lack of) understanding of warranties and claims!!

That Mobil1 oil filter is the second best oil filter you could be using. Don't remove it for a Motorcraft just for the sake of some guys here scared you into it. The big concern with filters is the anti-drainback valve, which I personally don't know of a modern day filter that doesn't have one anyways...Fram filters excluded. Additionally, the mounting angle of the filter on our trucks is not extreme enough to completely drain the filter anyways, making me highly doubt the claim that the filter would be the culprit anyways...again, Fram excluded. Bottom line, don't swap your current filter for an infierior one. They will not and CAN NOT deny you a claim because you have that or any other non-motorcraft filter.
Guess the guys I've seen on the board crying about how the were denied are all liars. I would put in the motorcraft filter just to be safe. I know for sure there was a guy denied on this very problem for using a non motorcraft filter not to long ago.

Old 09-30-2008, 10:47 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
They're not liars, they just didn't know any better and either got taken advantage of or fell for a dealer scam to try and get out of paying. If the dealer ever tried to tell anyone that a potential warranty claim was denied because of the filterni was running, here are some of the first things that you should respectfully say...

May I speak to the service AND the general manager.
May I see the service bulletin that shows my current oil filter is unacceptable or where it says my current oil filter does not meet Ford requirements.
May I see a list of approved filters, and if there is such a list why was I not provided a copy when I purchased my vehicle.
May I see the conclusive data where you were able to proove that my current filter was the direct cause of the cam phase failure, and thus your reason for denying my claim.
Do you have the contact for the regional tech rep so that my attourney may contact them. (if youake it that far, this one usually works as the regional guy is eight out of ten times on your side)

Now I know you may be thinking pick your battles and changing to a MC filter can save you a lot of headache but I see it the other way. I'm not going to let them scare me into doing something I don't want to do with my own truck over some reason they morally shouldn't be doing anyways. But, to each his own.

Last edited by Galaxy; 09-30-2008 at 10:59 AM.
Old 09-30-2008, 11:45 PM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
Last time I was over at the Ford dealer jawing with the service writer, he tried to sell me on an oil change - when I told him I get that done at the local Mobil 1 Lube Express with Mobil 1 oil and filter, he basically said it wouldn't do him any good trying to sell me - what I'm doing is better than what they do. He also told me he knows the guys that run that place and that they are honest and do good work.

I would not worry about ANY issues with Mobil 1 filters. They are excellent premium filters with a corresponding price tag.

Old 10-01-2008, 03:09 AM
My truck started knocking after startup at around 120,000 miles (if I remember right) But it quit doing that at around 180-200,000. so....

Old 11-18-2008, 07:25 PM
Apeiron,

Any update on the dealer diagnosis or repair for the cold start up noise?
I have exactly the same type of noise on my 2006 5.4, as soon as it warms up a bit it goes away.

I'm on my last warranty visit and this is the last thing on my list. I have left it overnight at the dealer a couple of times now to repeat the cold start up noise. We plan on doing it once more this week to see if they can pinpoint the noise.

If anyone else has experience with this, I would really like to hear what the cause and cure would be.

Old 11-18-2008, 07:29 PM
Originally Posted by will1563
Apeiron,

Any update on the dealer diagnosis or repair for the cold start up noise?
I have exactly the same type of noise on my 2006 5.4, as soon as it warms up a bit it goes away.

I'm on my last warranty visit and this is the last thing on my list. I have left it overnight at the dealer a couple of times now to repeat the cold start up noise. We plan on doing it once more this week to see if they can pinpoint the noise.

If anyone else has experience with this, I would really like to hear what the cause and cure would be.
what filter do you use? and brand and weight of oil?

Old 11-18-2008, 08:21 PM
Using a Ford filter and Mobil 1 syn 5W20

Old 02-27-2009, 04:27 PM
I had the same "diesel noise" in my 2002 F-150. Took it to a relatives shop and it turned out to be the timing chain guides. One had broken off at the bottom and the piece just bounced around inside the cover.I was lucky not to have grenaded the motor. Thought it was the cam phasers turned out to be something else. Even at the "family rate" it cost me $1400.00 so keep tht oil changed guys and spend a little extra for the good filter. Make sure it has an anti-drainback valve.

Old 03-21-2009, 05:17 PM
wow seems that the cam phazer is a huge problem with the 5.4 that sucks i was going to buy one , my 99 f150 with the 5.4 hass 250000km its runs strong but also has a tick but sounds like lifters

Old 04-14-2009, 11:15 PM
would it be a cam phazer if the knock stops completely and instantly within 2 minutes? sounds more like a sticking lifter.

Old 12-18-2009, 09:03 AM
best oil filter

Hi I am new here and just read where someone wrote that mobil 1 was 2nd best oil filter,my question is Which is the# 1 oil filter? I have that early morning/super cold out start up knock also.
Thank you,
Notjoe9

Old 12-18-2009, 02:04 PM
Mine is doing the same thing. 224,000 miles here. I just changed the oil last night to 10-40 Pennzoil instead of Rotella. They are both made in same place, really good oil. The 15/40 was a little to thick for the winter. It has a constant mod motor knock always at idle.

Last edited by ChipSVT; 12-21-2009 at 12:16 PM.
Old 12-18-2009, 07:40 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ChipSVT
Mine is doing the same thing. 224,000 miles here. I just changed the oil last night to 10-40 Pennzoil instead of Rotella. They are both made in same place, really good oil. The 15/40 was a little to thick for the winter. It has a constant small knock always at idle.
These engine are not designed for 10-40.The noises your having are to be expected running that thick of oil. These are overhead cam engine that hate anything over 5-30. you've probably caused major damage ignoring the manufactures recommended oil.

Quick Reply: Low knocking sound upon cold startup