Oil pan gasket on 4x4

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2008, 11:24 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Oil pan gasket on 4x4

Howdy members.
I have done a ton of research on replacing the oil pan gasket in my 1997 F150 4.6 4x4
I found most of you advise to either lift the engine, drop the front differential,
or remove the engine all together , simply because the cross member will no allow enough clearance when dropping the pan.
What if I remove just the cross member ???
It appears that it does come off. Here is a picture of underneath of my leaky truck , pay attention to the bolts holding the Cross member in place.
What do you guys think of this one ?

Old 08-24-2008, 12:19 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Good thought, I wish there was an easier way to drop the oil pan myself. I don't think I would attempt cross member removal there.. For one , I don't think it would be as simple of a job as it seems. It isn't a grind and punch procedure, it's a grind and drill or torch one. I don't know of anyone that has tried it, but I have heard of people doing the drop the axle thing relatively quickly.

If you do by chance drop that cross member, idunno - I think something might spring out of place, impossible to line back up the same.

Better just drop that axle.

Old 08-25-2008, 12:03 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My own experiance with this kind of thing has been when you have those oil pan seals failing its time for an overhaul anyway. Just pull the motor and overhaul it. Bite the bullet then you wont have to mess with it again for a long long time. I've done seals like that before and ended up pulling the engine the next year anyway because something else failed. how many miles are on it? its a 97 so it old...

Old 08-25-2008, 12:52 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Your better off pulling the engine & overhaulin it, if that is not in the Budget, I would attempt to remove the crossmember, 1st.......rather than the axle!...IMHO....

Old 08-25-2008, 02:49 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
mig, i would personally not do that in your app.

now if you had already dropped that bracket for a lift, it would be a different story. i know it seems retarded to lift a motor out to do the gasket, BUT if you do that you can inspect things if your mech aptitude says you can do it without causing problems.

but maybe i have a grudge against my front 8.8, i want to take it out and just jump up and down on the cheapie locker i put in it. too many close calls in the winter.

Old 08-25-2008, 07:47 PM

Yea , he just has a bad pan gasket. It's a 97 - Ford didn't update the engine/pan gaskets until 98. The 97's usually go toward the back and eventually will undercoat the truck. Drop the axle ; Drop the axle ; Drop the axle. You don't want the other headache. If everything under your truck was shiny and new , I would opt for the mounts maybe, but when it rusty under there ... Think about it, what's the first problem your going to have prepping to lift?

Just drop the axle , save yourself some grief. First time ? 4 -6 hrs most likely - then your done.

Old 08-25-2008, 08:30 PM
OIl Pan Gasket

Thanks Guys.
Yes dropping the axle would be the choice.
Think about it, remove an engine for a simple oil pan gasket ?
That's what makes people never buy an american truck .
Toyota Tundra and Nissan Titan is a whole different story.
People talk about removing an engine like changing tires.
If I have to remove the engine to do this fricking pan I will sell this truck for any amount of money just to get rid of it.
And Buying a Ford knowing that down the road I will have to remove the engine for a maintenance item ...
ha
think again...
But thanks for the input. it was much appreciated.

Old 08-25-2008, 08:36 PM
oh boy here we go again...

Old 08-25-2008, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by Klitch
oh boy here we go again...

I wasn't expecting that - Oh well , maybe the axle will fall on him

Old 08-25-2008, 08:52 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
from what i have read, crossmember removal will result in the frame springing outward, and it will be difficult to line it up back correctly. not to mention the PITA you'll have from removing those bolts. just drop the front differential, or unbolt the motor mounts, and jack the engine up. or, you could pull the engine, and do a complete overhaul, as was mentioned.

toyotas and nissans have their issues too... at least ford's 4WD system actually works!

Last edited by minimonster17; 08-25-2008 at 08:54 PM.
Old 08-25-2008, 09:44 PM
after doing my lift i dont see the difficulty in removing the crossmember. rancho completely gets rid of that front crossmember.

it was an easy by hand removal and theres a mount on top of the diff that will keep that in place. if that is the only thing in the way then just pull that. if you feel uncomfortable go ahead and throw a jack under the diff. i think yall are overthinking this way too much.

of course i could be wrong and the axle tube is still in the way.

Old 08-26-2008, 09:13 AM
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by jbrew
I wasn't expecting that - Oh well , maybe the axle will fall on him
Thanks for wishing someone gets hurt.
Don't get me wrong I love Ford trucks , so much so, I have one. I have also had two explorers and one expedition.
I just think is bad engineering, have to remove an engine because a simple maintenance gasket.

Old 08-26-2008, 11:45 AM
yes its bad planning. i bitch when doing spark plugs under a firewall. its retarded!

you like fords?
i personally have my 97f150, which features modifications everywhere
93 ford probe as my DD car
'67 Fairlane GTA - Yeah, it was rare and it needs restored. im working on it.
1991 ranger 4x4 and a 1992 exploder 4x4 4dr - both of which are a parts car for the other to become a toy
im taking the 85 bronco 2 off my brothers hands to make it into a wheelin rig

then theres the rest of the family's fords. which gets to be over a dozen.

BTW, thats not really considered a maint item anymore. that gasket is with all intents and purposes suppose to outlive your truck anyhow.

Old 08-26-2008, 12:28 PM
Originally Posted by mig25
Thanks for wishing someone gets hurt.
Don't get me wrong I love Ford trucks , so much so, I have one. I have also had two explorers and one expedition.
I just think is bad engineering, have to remove an engine because a simple maintenance gasket.
if you go to napa and get the rubber oil pan gasket with a thin piece of metal in betwwen the rubber you will never have another problem. i am not sure about the 4.6 or 5.4 but for my truck the napa gaskets came with these little plastic clips that screw into the block and you put the gasket up onto them and then the oil pan then start the bolts then take the clips right out. i didnt have to pull my engine. just something to check into.

Old 08-26-2008, 07:24 PM

Thanks for wishing someone gets hurt..
First of all, that didn't happen so you can wipe those tears. Second, see the red face laughing at the end - Means it wasn't serious. Lighten up! That's serious.

I love Ford trucks , so much so, I have one. I have also had two explorers and one expedition.
That's not true - Get your facts straight. You raise the engine slightly so you can get the pan around the pick-up tube, filter bell and screen.

Thes trucks have lifetime, re-usable Gaskets after 97. I'm not sure on the 97's. It's not a maintence item.

Don't get me wrong.
No worries , you handled that one

Quick Reply: Oil pan gasket on 4x4