Go Back   F150online Forums > Powertrain & Mechanical > V8 Engines
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Photos Vin Decoder FAQ Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Vendor DirectoryGarage

Welcome to F150Online Forums!
Welcome to F150Online.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the F150Online Forums community today!

Old 05-24-2008, 04:34 AM
2000 Ford F-150

Beware!! intermittent oil pressure indications

2000 f-150 5.4 sohc 192,000 miles Two weeks ago my oil pressure gauge was intermittently alternating between normal to nothing at all. I assumed it was an electrical issue and to my suprise I found out the hard way that I had very serious problem. I drove about a week with that, putting off taking it in to the shop. my engine started knocking on a wed. So I had planned to take it in to the dealership on friday morning, but on thursday, I it threw a rod through the crankcase and oil pan. I know 192K is getting up there, but the engine still had plenty of power and I would have saved alot of money only replacing the pump. 5700 bucks for a reman engine put in from the dealer. Hopefully this will at least help someone else out. Happy driving'
Old 05-24-2008, 06:36 AM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 1997 ford 150
I have the same thing on my OLD ford 9N tractor.
Only it is a mechanical gauge and it happens\when I am going downhill.

I guess it has run that way for the last 70 years, it may last
another 70.Click the image to open in full size.
Old 05-24-2008, 08:34 AM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 2006 Ford F-350
wow. Was the oil level checked? The oil pump shouldn't work/not work intermitently. I had a 2000 mustang GT with 35,000 miles that would do the same thing. Put plenty of miles on it with no problem. Just to lazy to change the sender.... that is what I thought it was anyways. Maybe it was a good thing I traded it to buy my truck!
Old 05-24-2008, 09:41 AM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 2007 Ford F150
That's the problem with Ford Oil sending unit/gauge. At 4 PSI the gauge goes to a normal position, and anything less than that, the gauge goes to 0. Make's puling the dipstick, on a regular basis, imperitive.
Old 05-24-2008, 10:59 AM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 2007 Ford F-150
Quote:
Originally Posted by groundhogFX2 View Post
That's the problem with Ford Oil sending unit/gauge. At 4 PSI the gauge goes to a normal position, and anything less than that, the gauge goes to 0. Make's puling the dipstick, on a regular basis, imperitive.
Can you put a sending unit on the engine so the gauge reads the actual oil psi rather than normal or 0 psi. Will the factory gauge support that typer of sending unit? I never really noticed it before, until my buddy got a 2000 Tundra, it's OEM oil psi gauge actually varies with the engine RPM, the way oil psi should be. But my F150's gauge shoots up to normal after startup and never moves, no matter how hot or cold the temp is...

-2007 F-150 XLT SuperCrew 4x4 5.4L 6.5' Bed
-Bilstein 5100's All The Way Around, Front set at 2" lift
-EBC Slotted and Dimpled rotors and Hawk HPS pads on all 4
-Gryphon, custom tuned by Bill at PHP
-AirAid CAI
-Flowmaster 3" Cat-Back with 50-series (thinking of changing to a 40-series or a Magnaflow)
-Wig-Wag Headlights and Tail Lights
-Line-X
Old 05-24-2008, 11:45 AM
Technical Article Contributor
2000 Ford F-150

Vehicle: 2000 Ford F-150 4x4
Send a message via ICQ to JMC
Too expensive for Ford to use a real gauge. You used to be able to change the sender for one that gave a varied reading on older Fords but not any more.

Regards

Jean Marc Chartier

4.6 to 5.4 swap, M5OD w/ Hurst short throw, Warn XD9000i, OBX Long Tubes /w Cats, Troyer E-fans, P-1SC Procharger @15psi, Troyer tuned. ;)
Swap notes; http://www.f150online.com/forums/art...ml#post3570245
Old 05-24-2008, 01:34 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 2006 Ford F-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMC View Post
Too expensive for Ford to use a real gauge. You used to be able to change the sender for one that gave a varied reading on older Fords but not any more.

Regards

Jean Marc Chartier
It isn't the expense as much as it is stupid people who bring there car to the dealer saying there is a problem with the car because the oil pressure varies. My father was a service rep at a ford dealer and that is exactly why ford went to the on/off pressure gauge.
Old 05-24-2008, 11:13 PM
2000 Ford F-150

Yes I checked the oil level the first day i heard the knocking last wedensday, it was perfect. Well hopefully this thread will maybe save somebody some money thats why i decided to post it
Old 05-25-2008, 12:05 AM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 2002 Ford F-150 5.4L
Checking the oil quantity is only half the battle and not always the case. You can just as easily have a full pan of oil and still no pressure...like if a shaft sheared on the pump or something...so don't get wrapped up in the security that you're good to go just because it has oil in it!!!!

K&N FIPK/Amsoil Filter
Flowmaster 40 si/do Exhaust
305/70 16 GY MTR Kevlar
16X10 MB Motorsport wheels
4.10 Gears
Rancho 4" lift
Rancho 9000XL Pro Series Resi Shocks
FireStone Air Bags
Autometer Carbon Fiber Oil/Trans Temp Gauges
Carbon Fiber Interior (www.dash-kit.com)
Peterson Fluid Sys. Remote Oil Filter
FTVB
Troyer Performance Electric Fans
Underdrive Pulleys
Amsoil Fluids Throughout
Old 05-25-2008, 12:22 AM
Technical Article Contributor
2007 Ford F-150
My Garage

Vehicle: 2007 Ford F150
The oil pressure gauge came standard on my Dak... I love watching it fluctuate. When I am idling, it is lower, when I drive it is higher. Which makes sense.

I wish my F150 had it...
Old 05-25-2008, 12:22 AM