Fuel Pressure, Injectors, MPG Mods: Questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 09:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel Pressure, Injectors, MPG Mods: Questions

I want to eventually change my injectors to smaller units and run higher fuel pressure. I have also installed a fuel heater between the gas tank and the FPR. This works, though it is less than ideal. I would rather have the fuel heater after the FPR so the heated fuel doesn't feed back into the tank. The reduced flow through the heater would also help to dump more heat into the fuel, further increasing the effectiveness of the heat exchanger and further increasing the effectiveness of my MPG mods.

When it comes to injectors:

Originally Posted by maxc
I put 2006 bosch 5.4 (12.9ohm) injectors(24lb?) in my 4.6 97 F150. Stock injector 14.5 ohm. Had to raise fuel pressure 65psi for max power. :?: Was not checked at max power under load. On 4 hour trip 30 miles hwy 70mph, 15 miles city 35/40mph, 20miles 3 stops 55mph country driving.
20.5 mpg that includes fuel temperature compensation was 65F at start of trip end temp 80F. :shock: Fuel heater keeps it at 115F at 55mph.
His "before" MPG was closer to 14.

I will first remotely install the regulator and run stock pressures for the sole purpose of having my heat exchanger on the injector side of the regulator. Later on when I get some money I'll be changing injectors, but that may be a ways off in the future. Where can I get a remote mount adjustable fuel pressure regulator that will work on my '99 5.4? I'd prefer to stay under $100 if possible.

Old 05-06-2008, 10:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Update on maxc's project... The reason he had to run higher fuel pressures for max power (even with the larger injectors) was due to a MAF problem; the filter/gasket was offset so air was getting in past the MAF sensor. He has now reduced the pressure back down to 40psi and with the combination of fuel heat and the larger injectors, the ECU "thinks" everything is stock. Fuel trims are +3, -3.

When you tap on the fuel pump inertia switch to kill the fuel pump. The engine takes about 30 seconds too stall. It will still barely run with 6-8 psi of fuel pressure.
In addition to the above mods, I've installed a Hydrogen cell, and will be tuning the ECU. Due to the current non-stock nature of my pickup as it is, it will require a lot of experimenting to get everything right.

Last edited by Pinhead-227; 05-06-2008 at 11:13 PM.

Quick Reply: Fuel Pressure, Injectors, MPG Mods: Questions