Help with DPFE SENSOR

Old 04-26-2008, 04:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help with DPFE SENSOR

I am trying to find the right sensor for my 1999 5.4,I found one on ebay that had this #Ford part # 4U7Z-9J460-AA, Motorcraft # DPFE-4.and found another MOTORCRAFT Part # DPFE15 F7UE-9J460AA,F77E-9J460AB.
Which one is right.

Old 04-26-2008, 05:33 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
First # F = Decade. = 1990
Second # 7 = Year within Decade.
Third # U = Product Line - That one means {Econoline 1961-later}
Fourth # E = Source of part - Engine Engineering; Powertrain and Chassis product Engineering.

9J460 is the basic part # - Letters that follow indicates Design Change.

F77E = The third number 7 indicates - Courier truck 1971-75; Ranger and Bronco II 1983-later.

The last letter in the first set you posted "Z" = Ford parts and service. lol - Confused yet ?

From what I've heard, If you have the Aluminum sensor make sure you get one (I think that's what you have )

I think the F7UE is what you want. Take a look on your sensor itself for the numbers.

Here I just snapped a shot of mine, the numbers should be on it - it's a 98 5.4L tho - and I purchased this one from TOMCO last winter.

Theres all kinds of numbers for those that work. This one has worked for me so far. - But latest is marked by the second number "7" in your case. The plastic sensors on the other hand - were probematic.

Last edited by jbrew; 04-26-2008 at 06:02 PM.
Old 04-26-2008, 06:24 PM

Well , scratch what I said earlier because now it's not making sense. I just took a shot of my old one's and one is stock from 98. So I don't get it. I have what the #'s mean from Ford , but it's not making sense.

Oh well , here's a shot of my old DPFE's for the 98 -

My stock DPFE -

Another from a 98 3.8L. What in the hell did I do to that thing -

Heres a write up I just found, but it explains the numbers pretty much the same way. -

http://www.classicmustang.com/decoding_part_numbers.htm

Last edited by jbrew; 04-26-2008 at 07:00 PM.
Old 04-26-2008, 06:27 PM
Originally Posted by jbrew
First # F = Decade. = 1990
Second # 7 = Year within Decade.
Third # U = Product Line - That one means {Econoline 1961-later}
Fourth # E = Source of part - Engine Engineering; Powertrain and Chassis product Engineering.

9J460 is the basic part # - Letters that follow indicates Design Change.

F77E = The third number 7 indicates - Courier truck 1971-75; Ranger and Bronco II 1983-later.

The last letter in the first set you posted "Z" = Ford parts and service. lol - Confused yet ?

From what I've heard, If you have the Aluminum sensor make sure you get one (I think that's what you have )

I think the F7UE is what you want. Take a look on your sensor itself for the numbers.

Here I just snapped a shot of mine, the numbers should be on it - it's a 98 5.4L tho - and I purchased this one from TOMCO last winter.

Theres all kinds of numbers for those that work. This one has worked for me so far. - But latest is marked by the second number "7" in your case. The plastic sensors on the other hand - were probematic.
Thanks JB,the numbers on it are F7UE-9J460-EE,there are a few brands out there like delco,standard.
The place where you sent me to buy my COPS global automotive has it for $34.95,motorcrart is $63.00.
Thanks

Old 04-26-2008, 06:33 PM

Yea , I think that's what I paid for the new one. Around $60 - but got that at TOMCO - Like I said , they had problems with the plastic ones on later models, but I think you and I don't have to worry about that. I would stick with the Motorcraft part if you can tho. I'm not sure what Global carries as far as that part. It might be OEM - duno.

Last edited by jbrew; 04-26-2008 at 06:37 PM.
Old 04-26-2008, 06:53 PM
Yea , I think that's what I paid for the new one. Around $60 - but got that at TOMCO - Like I said , they had problems with the plastic ones on later models, but I think you and I don't have to worry about that. I would stick with the Motorcraft part if you can tho. I'm not sure what Global carries as far as that part. It might be OEM - duno.
When I looked up my engine type at tomco they had four types of engines 5.4L,5.4M,5.4Z and (3) not sure what mine is.http://www.tomco-inc.com/EGR_Delta_P...nsor_9045.aspx
thanks for the help,again.

Old 04-26-2008, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by *hammer
When I looked up my engine type at tomco they had four types of engines 5.4L,5.4M,5.4Z and (3) not sure what mine is.http://www.tomco-inc.com/EGR_Delta_P...nsor_9045.aspx
thanks for the help,again.
Keep going - Yours is the 5.4L - Click at the bottom "MISC" - For the 99 , your part #'s will come up and price -

http://www.tomco-inc.com/EGR_Delta_P...ck_Sensor.aspx

The click on Stock number and it shows you a pic of your sensor - The Aluminum one. Here -

http://www.tomco-inc.com/admin/ProductImages/10906.jpg

That's what I ordered and what's in the pic above. It's worked flawlessly AND it's cheaper than I thought at first, but I remember now lol

Last edited by jbrew; 04-26-2008 at 07:13 PM.
Old 04-26-2008, 08:13 PM
Keep going - Yours is the 5.4L - Click at the bottom "MISC" - For the 99 , your part #'s will come up and price -

http://www.tomco-inc.com/EGR_Delta_P...ck_Sensor.aspx

The click on Stock number and it shows you a pic of your sensor - The Aluminum one. Here -

http://www.tomco-inc.com/admin/ProductImages/10906.jpg

That's what I ordered and what's in the pic above. It's worked flawlessly AND it's cheaper than I thought at first, but I remember now lol
Thanks again JB

Old 04-26-2008, 10:10 PM

Thanks again JB
No problem, good luck

Old 05-01-2008, 09:19 PM
I got the DPFE sensor today and installed it,I took it for a spin and problem still there.After an hour of driving I thought maybe try switching the hoses around,so I did.
I noticed the check engine light came on but the problem was gone.
My question is what are the letters on the DPFE sensor.
There EF & H, if I clear the code and leave the hoses switched is it ok or maybe just eliminate them period.
Maybe at some time the hoses got pulled apart while at the shop and never put back right.
How can I tell if there hooked up the right way.
Thanks

Old 05-02-2008, 02:14 AM

One hose has a larger ID than the other. One stem on the DPFE Sensor is larger than the other one.

The top line on the EGR pipe itself is the intake manifold side - or "REF" on the sensor. Smaller ID tube. - (That hose goes to the plug/connector side)

The bottom line from the EGR pipe is the Exhaust Manifold side - or "HI" on the sensor. Larger ID tube. (That one plugs in opposite of plug side)

Theres an orifice in between the two hard lines that stem from the main EGR pipe. Works just like a venturi.

If that new sensor doesn't work and your rebooting your computer each time you change things around. Then you must have wiring problems - don't see that happen much. - In-fact , I haven't ever seen that happen in that area - I can't believe you still have a problem, specially after you cleaned the ports.

Maybe someone else can help with that.

Last edited by jbrew; 05-02-2008 at 02:19 AM.
Old 05-02-2008, 06:31 PM
One hose has a larger ID than the other. One stem on the DPFE Sensor is larger than the other one.

The top line on the EGR pipe itself is the intake manifold side - or "REF" on the sensor. Smaller ID tube. - (That hose goes to the plug/connector side)

The bottom line from the EGR pipe is the Exhaust Manifold side - or "HI" on the sensor. Larger ID tube. (That one plugs in opposite of plug side)

Theres an orifice in between the two hard lines that stem from the main EGR pipe. Works just like a venturi.

If that new sensor doesn't work and your rebooting your computer each time you change things around. Then you must have wiring problems - don't see that happen much. - In-fact , I haven't ever seen that happen in that area - I can't believe you still have a problem, specially after you cleaned the ports.

Maybe someone else can help with that.
If I just leave them off or reverse them and clear my check engine light code will the check engine light come back on again.
Or where can I look for the problem.
Thanks again

Old 05-02-2008, 07:37 PM

If I just leave them off or reverse them and clear my check engine light code will the check engine light come back on again.
Or where can I look for the problem.
Thanks again

How are clearing ? You have to disconnect the battery for AT-LEAST 15 minutes or you won't do any good and reboot is denied.

Disconnect both side of the battery - after 20 minutes pass, connect the positive first , then the neg. I posted all the info for you to be able to get this right , but you have to follow.

Good Luck

You did get the Aluminum sensor correct - not the plastic ? These sensors should not be interchanged - further, some sensors have a modified voltage output. Always replace with same.

Last edited by jbrew; 05-02-2008 at 07:44 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help with DPFE SENSOR