99 f150 NO START & Wont Shift out of 4-lo please help!

Old 04-09-2008, 03:02 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
99 f150 NO START & Wont Shift out of 4-lo please help!

Im trying to help my dad get his truck going again..

Here is what it is:

99 f150 4x4 4.6/auto

Here is the problem:

A few weeks ago he had it up in the woods cutting firewood went to start it and nothing happens! Well i tell him to jump the starter silanoid(i cant remember spelling here! err) Anyway when jumping it the truck fires right up no problem! well he drives it back down to the house and discovers he CANT get it out of 4-low! well after talking to a couple people he replaces the Transmission RAnge sensor (i believe thats what it was called) still no start and no way to get it out of 4-low! I suggest a new ignition switch still no fix! Well if you jump 12 volts to the silanoid on the S wire it cranks so it seems to be somthing between the keyswitch and there? Need to figure this one out as he cant even drive it to somone to get it looked at since its stuck in 4-low. Is there another type of sensor in the collum that tells the computer what gear the truck is in? I have noticed that the shifter is a bit sloppy.

Any help on this would be greatly appreceated as it has me stumped.

Old 04-09-2008, 10:50 AM
you might have a problum with the vacuum. i beleve that there is a canaster around the axel and check the hoses and one should be blowing one should be sucking and check fuses i don't know which ones but the owners manuel should.

Old 04-09-2008, 11:38 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The solenoid is probably bad I'd replace it $10 at autozone. The shifter problem is probably totally unrelated. vacuum line came undone. Probably you could get under it check the lines and try shifting it out manually. Also post the problem on the Transmission forum and maybe do some searching over there.

Old 04-09-2008, 12:08 PM
well if you jump 12v to the S terminal on the solenoid it starts.

Old 04-09-2008, 12:10 PM
Originally Posted by Jacob_Royer
well if you jump 12v to the S terminal on the solenoid it starts.
that means its bad. Replace it.

Old 04-09-2008, 12:22 PM
Originally Posted by jethat
that means its bad. Replace it.

i always thought that ment there was a problem before the solenoid?? doesent the ignition switch send 12v to the s terminal which in turn makes the solenoid send 12v to the statrter??

Old 04-09-2008, 12:31 PM
Originally Posted by Jacob_Royer
i always thought that ment there was a problem before the solenoid?? doesent the ignition switch send 12v to the s terminal which in turn makes the solenoid send 12v to the statrter??
I just had mine go out a few months ago. did the same thing. Its really a relay. its $10. just replace it. Of course you could look at the connections. I doubt that the problem though.

Old 04-27-2008, 08:19 PM
no start

My truck did same, turns out windshield was leaking. Ford had problem with this in early yrs per dealer. Water drips onto GEM and power distribution box. Both had to be replaced. It locked into 4 wheel low, and at times would not start,cost bought $1000 w them covering part of repair even after warranty out cause they missed dist box and only did GEM. 2 days later it was back in shop and I was PO"D!!! I refuser to pay for dash to be ripped apart and assembled again

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 99 f150 NO START & Wont Shift out of 4-lo please help!