NewTSB on spark plug removal

Old 04-08-2008, 01:31 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by risupercrewman
At the Least.....FoMoCo could come up with an updated plug design, similar to the Champion design...(One Piece)! Ya think! For all of the millions of us who have these heads! FoMoCo would simply install the new updated plugs when these vehicles would come in for routine plug change! If they snapped them, FoMoCo would fix for free & not pass the buck to the consumer! Really I think that is a totally fare deal for both parties involved.........It is cost efficient & fare! What is there problemo regarding this matter?.........
Sounds good to me.

My only concern with the Champions are that since they should not break the ground shield off how much pressure will be on the threads? Maybe Quintin or FordTech1 can chime in and let us know how much tension was on the motorcraft plugs when they broke....were they turning easy or hard?

Thanks

Old 04-08-2008, 01:33 PM
Originally Posted by swazo
Crap! I'm replacing my 5.4L in my '04 with an '06 w/ 11K on the clock. I'm tempted to pull the plugs out of the 'new' engine before I install it tomorrow when my LT headers are due from UPS.

What would you guys do? Pull them now that the engine is out of the truck, or install the engine and follow the TSB with the oil and pre-heated engine?
I would pull them now and make sure they have a good coat of antisieze on them or replace with the Champions.

Old 04-08-2008, 02:37 PM
glc
Received 756 Likes on 702 Posts
Originally Posted by dkstone05
With the several problems I had with this truck and now 3 plugs breaking at 35k miles I'm not sure what I'm going to do when it is finally time to put this truck out to the pasture. I'm tempted not to buy another Ford but I won't pass judgement that quick. I plan on running this truck into the ground and if it stays problem free except for normal wear and tear items then I'll take a look at getting another Ford.
By that time, I would assume all engines will have a different head design. Looks like the 4.6 3V is already here, the 5.4 *might* be here, and the 6.8 should also be taken care of soon I would think.

Old 04-08-2008, 02:58 PM
Originally Posted by glc
By that time, I would assume all engines will have a different head design. Looks like the 4.6 3V is already here, the 5.4 *might* be here, and the 6.8 should also be taken care of soon I would think.
Oh I know by the time I'm due for a new truck the plug problem will be long gone but if Ford can screw something as simple as a plug what could they screw up next time......an air filter that breaks off in the intake

Old 04-08-2008, 03:14 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Fordtech1
Is there anyway you could email me the tsb in a pdf or something, that I can print it out. I like to keep all the tsb's printed out, and in my truck so if I run into any problems, I will have the info to fix the problem. Thanks.

Old 04-08-2008, 03:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dkstone05
Oh I know by the time I'm due for a new truck the plug problem will be long gone but if Ford can screw something as simple as a plug what could they screw up next time......an air filter that breaks off in the intake
I wouldn't doubt it. Leave it to them to use an air filter w/ metal rivits or something that the engine can injest.

I've had bad luck with Ford. My Contour SVT had an engine with aluminum rod and main bearings that were prone to crap out, some of the heads had silica deposits in them from the casting process that would come loose down the road and cause a failure, poor transaxel internal parts that are prone for failure and glass like diff's that like to explode

Well designed, but the bean counters come out to F everything up.

Old 04-08-2008, 07:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My only concern with the Champions are that since they should not break the ground shield off how much pressure will be on the threads? Maybe Quintin or FordTech1 can chime in and let us know how much tension was on the motorcraft plugs when they broke....were they turning easy or hard?
The ones that broke on me snapped during the initial 1/8 turn. I knew almost imediately there was going to be a problem due to the force needed just to crack it loose off the seat.

Old 04-08-2008, 07:49 PM
Originally Posted by FordTech1
The ones that broke on me snapped during the initial 1/8 turn. I knew almost imediately there was going to be a problem due to the force needed just to crack it loose off the seat.
Do you think they would get tight enough to mess up the threads in the head?

Old 04-09-2008, 09:25 AM
Man that is good news on the Mustang heads. I just ordered an 08 GT and the build date is 04/21/08 so it SHOULD have the new heads. Good to know I won't have to worry about a simple plug change as I plan to run the wheels off this thing. I will miss my truck but it's time for a new toy!

Old 04-09-2008, 09:32 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by SAJEFFC
Man that is good news on the Mustang heads. I just ordered an 08 GT and the build date is 04/21/08 so it SHOULD have the new heads. Good to know I won't have to worry about a simple plug change as I plan to run the wheels off this thing. I will miss my truck but it's time for a new toy!
Does that mean we will be rid of you totally?

Old 04-09-2008, 09:58 AM
Originally Posted by bluejay432000
Does that mean we will be rid of you totally?
Nope. Means I will need a new sig.

Old 04-09-2008, 10:22 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Nope. Means I will need a new sig.
How are you gonna haul a dirt bike with a Mustang?.......

Old 04-09-2008, 10:59 AM
Originally Posted by risupercrewman
How are you gonna haul a dirt bike with a Mustang?.......
I know right? I haven't ridden too much in the last year and a friend offered too much money for it so I'm selling it this week. I'm really looking forward to the Stang though...what a cool toy!

Old 04-09-2008, 11:03 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
I know right? I haven't ridden too much in the last year and a friend offered too much money for it so I'm selling it this week. I'm really looking forward to the Stang though...what a cool toy!
Man, you really suck! I hope you bump your head every time you get in it!

Old 04-09-2008, 11:16 AM
Originally Posted by bluejay432000
Man, you really suck! I hope you bump your head every time you get in it!
Man you're full of pee and vinegar today! Nah I'm just in the mood for a hot rod again. Maybe its a little mid life crisis thing. I ordered a fancy one though. Put the factory nav radio in it and heated seats and everything. Basically I threw every option in it but an automatic. I wanna be able to bang the gears.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: NewTSB on spark plug removal