04 5.4 3V running on 4 cylinders

Old 03-06-2008, 09:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
04 5.4 3V running on 4 cylinders

I am at wits end with this truck. The truck has fuel and fire but the passanger bank is dead, it has new plugs and new timing solenoids and the timing has been checked. I replaced the pass side phaser today but haven't fired the truck yet.
When it was running the o2's flip out, 1 adds fuel/the other takes it away????
I also have checked the injectors and they are fine also

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 03-06-2008, 09:47 PM
Typically a significant split in fuel trim means timing is off provided everything else is good....how are you determining the bank is dead ? How are you reading the O2's and can you read the fuel trims? What exactly are you calling the timing solenoids? Do you mean the VCT solenoids? Be a little more specific and I might be able to help out......If you have specific numbers from your data post them up...............

Old 03-06-2008, 09:50 PM
I replaced the cam timing solenoids that are in the valve covers(one was damaged on the drivers side originally and replaced the pass side just hoping it would fix the problem). The enging has a very noticable miss and if you unhook the coilpacks on the pass side the is no change in idle

Old 03-06-2008, 10:09 PM
Might help if you start from the beginnning...how did the VCT solenoid get damaged? The VCT system should not give you a miss...if you have an entire bank down then you will have more than just a noticable miss, more like barely running.....does it tick? How did you verify the timing?

Old 03-06-2008, 10:28 PM
I'll start from the beginning

The truck was taken to ford because it barely ran, the told him a cam locked up.He brought the motor to me for a rebuild(ford left the valve cover off and there was dirt all over the head so we couldn't start the truck to diagnose ourselves)

We pulled the motor, found no real damage other than oil not changed enough
and rebuilt the motor(rings,bearings etc...) When the motor was first cranked
it ran real rough so we pulled the timing solenoid from driver side and one of the screens had been pushed in and the plunger wouldn't work. The engine then ran pretty good but went back to running rough within a week. We the found the motor on the intake that controls the flaps in the intake runners stopped opening flaps. We replaced that but now it still runs rough. We thought the motor may had been timed wrong so everything was pulled back down and retimed again but still runs rough.

We have replaced the other timing solenoid and cam phaser and I'll now tomorrow if that helped

Old 03-06-2008, 10:46 PM
I'm going to assume you have the basics covered then as you stated earlier...good fuel and spark....beyond that it is base engine............. you verifed the timing with the front cover off? I know it's a no-brainer just want to make sure....which cam phasers are installed , the ones marked L and R ? You counted the links? Single link on the dot (crank), split link on the appropiate side (cam)? How about compression? Any chance of a valve getting smashed if the cam was "locked up " as the dealer stated? If you know you have the basics covered take a compression reading off that bank, disable the injectors and coils before doing so.

Last edited by FordTech1; 03-06-2008 at 10:54 PM.
Old 04-17-2008, 09:47 PM
The truck still isn't right, it adds +20% fuel to one bank and -18% fuel
to the other bank. We installed a new computer and still no luck

Old 04-17-2008, 09:54 PM
also, we did a compression check, 130-180 on pass side, 210 on driver side???

Old 04-17-2008, 09:54 PM
try unpluging the cmp sensors. it will default to base timing if im correct. could be wrong but its worth a shot.

Old 04-17-2008, 11:22 PM
glc
Received 754 Likes on 700 Posts
Originally Posted by blownbyu
also, we did a compression check, 130-180 on pass side, 210 on driver side???
That is NOT right - hate to say it, but I think the heads have to come off.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 04 5.4 3V running on 4 cylinders