Replacing Fuel sending unit

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 06:29 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Replacing Fuel sending unit

I am going to replace my fuel sending unit I ran claner thru it 3 times and hasnt help gauge is still alll over the place. Can anyone tell me how hard it would be to do this once I drop the tank. and if any pics are available or diagrams it would be helpful. Thanks

Old 03-05-2008, 08:21 AM
It is not hard at all. If you need pics, I suggest when at the parts house, buy a Hanes manual. You can get them online as well at www.autozone.com

Are you doing this because of a fuel pressure irregularity or your fuel guage is jumping around? I am not sure I understand your reasoning for replacement.

My only tip would be the obvious, make sure you are running on "E" before attempting this feat. LOL And, make sure you put a new sock (strainer) on the end of the lift tube.

Good Luck!

Last edited by tech-doc; 03-05-2008 at 08:25 AM.
Old 03-05-2008, 05:40 PM
fuel pressure is good but te gauge is ok sometimes the floats around other times. My uncle is a GM tech said its more than likely the sending unit with the sulfer in the gas eating the sensor it is a 2000 with 150,000 on it so I will change it and see can I get the straining sock at autozone or advance auto?? and is there a diffence between 139 wheelbase without 4x4 and the 139 wheel base with 4x4??
Thanks.

Last edited by davidshick2; 03-05-2008 at 05:46 PM.
Old 03-06-2008, 04:31 AM
Originally Posted by davidshick2
fuel pressure is good but te gauge is ok sometimes the floats around other times. My uncle is a GM tech said its more than likely the sending unit with the sulfer in the gas eating the sensor it is a 2000 with 150,000 on it so I will change it and see can I get the straining sock at autozone or advance auto?? and is there a diffence between 139 wheelbase without 4x4 and the 139 wheel base with 4x4??
Thanks.

Yes, you should be able to get all of the above at Autozone. The difference between the wheel bases, are, what one do you have? Thewheel base and drive you have is the one you order. I am not sure if there is actually a difference, but, they ask for a reason.

Quick Reply: Replacing Fuel sending unit