Hydrogen wet cell opinions needed

Old 11-29-2011, 05:14 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hydrogen wet cell opinions needed

Ok not sure if this is the correct place to put this thread, but here goes. The hubby put 2 hydrogen 'wet cells' on his Ford focus 3 months back to improve his gas mileage. He got the info off the internet as well as the parts needed, stainless steel wire & nylon nuts & bolts. Already had a sheet of plexi glass.
Total cost was around 160$ with plenty of wire left over. He used two large glass jars filled with water & baking soda. It's not given him any issues of any kind either mechanically or otherwise. I've already put a optima yellow top battery on the truck, so battery drainage shouldn't be an issue. (He's got a yellow top as well, & no issues)
His mileage has increased from 29 mpg to about 39 mpg. Give or take. He wants to put two on my truck since I'm driving 68 miles per day. I'm very, very picky about my truck & don't want to damage anything. I was wondering what everyone thought? Gas back & forth to school is draining my budget & riding the bike in the winter months kinda stinks. I can try to get some pics together shortly. Thanks for the input folks.
Rhonda

Old 11-29-2011, 06:07 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
There's a joke thread in GD.

Old 11-29-2011, 08:17 AM
Received 104 Likes on 97 Posts
This water for fuel crap again????

Geez, I wish people hadn't slept though science class....

Old 11-29-2011, 09:10 AM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Links?

Old 11-29-2011, 05:03 PM
You cannot create enough hydrogen to be effective with those cells. You might see a small bump in mileage until the computer "learns". There is no free power. The devices are not very efficient and add an additional load on your charging system. This means your alternator is working harder to provide the current needed which means your engine uses more energy to turn it. Do not risk your truck with this folly. Also the red top is better for your truck unless you need the deep cycling of the yellow top because of running big stereos with engine off or other accessories like that.

Last edited by Norm; 11-29-2011 at 05:06 PM.
Old 11-29-2011, 05:12 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
There was a gilrl on here a few years ago that tried something similar on her truck. Ended up costing a bunch to replace some stuff. Her name was Penguin86 as I recall.

Old 11-30-2011, 02:10 AM
The apparent mileage increase comes from the cell system tricking the engine computer to run the motor too lean -- which increases cylinder temps and the damage/deterioration that comes with that. It does not come from the hydrogen.

It requires X amount of energy from the alternator (driven by the engine) to make the electricity needed to separate the water into hydrogen and oxygen. When you recombine (i.e. burn) that hydrogen and oxygen again in the engine, you get less than X amount of energy back. It's an attempt to fool people with a perpetual motion machine, and like all such machines it's a fool's errand. Don't be fooled. Again, any touted mileage "improvements" are coming from simply tricking the computer into leaning out the engine. You'll pay in the long run.

Old 11-30-2011, 02:48 AM
Thanks guys, I appreciate the info & those that didn't include pointless smart@ss jabs. Being a full time student, I'm short on time to research anything other school work.
Projectsho, to avoid anyone thinking your rude & mentally impotent, consider reading your post before hitting enter. Your worthless commentary that you based upon simple minded assumptions aimed at someone you don't know, showcase your inability to understand basic manners. I'm a full time student working towards my Nurse Practitioners specializing in oncology, I'm pretty well versed in science not mechanical engineering or the automotive industry, thanks.
88 the hubby found this link on the web I'll try to find it, if you want it.
Norm, t.y. the battery was free, one less thing I had to pay for. If the battery will do more harm than good then I'm sure someone wouldn't mind trading, since I don't care for those kinds of audio systems & I don't have a lot of power draining equipment.
Bluejay that is exactly why I asked the forum the 'quick question' since I'm not wanting to damage anything. The focus hasn't had any issues or lost any of the increased gas mileage thus far & it's been 3 months with him driving 200+ miles everyday. Still not worth messing up my truck for any reason, so thanks to you & Norm for answering my questions.
Rhonda

Old 11-30-2011, 02:53 AM
RSchnier, thank you also, I'll show this to him as well since he's hell bent on messing with my truck & just swears it won't harm anything. I figured if it were that great then why wouldn't everybody be doing it. Hence, why I asked.
Rhonda

Old 11-30-2011, 06:36 AM
Originally Posted by RhondaRocks
Norm, t.y. the battery was free, one less thing I had to pay for. If the battery will do more harm than good then I'm sure someone wouldn't mind trading, since I don't care for those kinds of audio systems & I don't have a lot of power draining equipment.
The yellow is fine, you will not hurt anything and free is good. It is just not the battery I would choose for a daily driver. The red is better for that application.

Old 11-30-2011, 07:51 AM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by RhondaRocks
Thanks guys, I appreciate the info & those that didn't include pointless smart@ss jabs. Being a full time student, I'm short on time to research anything other school work.

Rhonda
What's that mean ? So our time is not important ? Your right, it isn't to you. Thanks for pointing that out.

If you spent half as much time searching than you have typing in this thread, you would have had your answer sooner. You sound like a lazy student who wants to be catered to IMO.

It worked out for you this time, -it won't always. Remember that.

Old 11-30-2011, 08:07 AM
I saw the same thing on a TV show last night. They have kits already built that you just install.. Have no idea of the effectiveness of it. I haven't researched it or know anyone that have put it on a V8.. Flammable water is some scary stuff... Post pics when your husband install it or post pics of the one on the focus... I'm really curious to see the setup and mpg stats...

Old 11-30-2011, 12:29 PM
It is not flammable water. Hydrogen is a gas.

Old 11-30-2011, 01:51 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
A focus that runs right should get mid 30's MPG no mater what. The Hydrogen scams have been around forever. Its Simple if it were as easy as adding a bunch of wires and a box dont you think atleast 1 car manufacture would do it? Its a competitive market people want the best gas mileage they can get and not 1 car manufacture is doing it? You BF got scammed and he's getting the placebo effect on that car he added it to.

Old 11-30-2011, 02:05 PM
Jbrew
So you assume that I'm a spoon fed student that wants to be catered to??? Wow, all that from one sentence, you must have ESP & millions hounding you for your current 'IMO' of the moment. I've worked two jobs for six years, (up to this past September) to get myself through school. Let me assume you being the epitome of proper online behavior have researched every question you've ever had without asking for multiple 'OPINIONS' first right???
The problem I had was not anyone's opinion, but rather the pointless jabs made for no reason than to appear witty.
Notice the word assumption begins with ***. As fun as bickering on faceless computers can be, I've got finals to study for..Then off to the mall so my mommy can buy me a new wardrobe.
Rhonda

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Hydrogen wet cell opinions needed