Gas tank in place of spare tire??

Old 02-19-2008, 09:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gas tank in place of spare tire??

my 97 F-150 has a small leak in the gas tank on the bottom and i really want to put a "bronco style tank" in place of my spare tire....would i be able to do that? i want to put the tank back there so it will be alot easyer to run the exhuast to the back...and give me some more traction in the winter time So i was just wonder if i can put a bronco tank back there or if anyone has any better ideas let me know Thanks alot guys!!

Old 02-20-2008, 03:29 AM
I guess it could be done if you had the will to get it done. You are going to have one long a$$ fill neck though.

I personally think that you will be safer replacing your leaky tank. The exhaust is not that big of a deal to run if you know what your doing.

Old 02-20-2008, 04:18 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Gas tank

I can't help you on the Bronco tank, but when the gas tank on my 98 started leaking, O'Reilly Auto Parts ordered me one for about 160. Advance and Autozone wanted around 300. They all sold the same brand of tank. I had the 24.5 gallon tank. Good luck!

Old 02-20-2008, 11:05 AM
yeah i donno it just doesnt seem like itd be to hard to do...a longer filller neck a lil big longer gas line...i was gonna take the pump and stuff outaa mine and put it in the bronco tank...i was my exhuast to be 45ed after the rear tires on each side....and the tank is in the way so id have to have the driver side go to the passenger side then back infront of spare tire then out the side...if i had the gas tank back there insted i could just run the driver side straight back and behide the tire....Would my fuel gauge and everything work if i just took the pump out of my stock tank and put it in the bronco tank?? Do they make any like after market fuel cells that hold like 20 Gals or 25Gals that are boxy shaped like the bronco tanks?

Old 02-20-2008, 12:30 PM
Why not just get you a fuel cell and bolt it down in the bed?

I don't see the big deal about running the exhaust down one side and routing it around the spare. ANY reputable exhaust shop could have that done in a matter of hours.

You have to also think about what would happen if you did put that tank in place of the spare and you got hit in the *** end. With the tank where it is now, it is protected by the frame.

I just don't see the reasoning in not just replacing the original tank with one that doesn't leak. To me (and this is only my opinion) exhaust routing is not a good enough reason to relocate a fuel tank.

Well, whatever you decide to do I wish you luck.

Old 02-20-2008, 12:53 PM
yeah i thought about in bed i got a few friends who are welders ill ask them...also the tank in the back would give me better traction in winter i donno i was just throwin it out here and seeing what you guys thought....yeah i might just have the exhuast shop have the drivers side go to the passenger then split back over the rear axle. thats for all ur input im open to all opions

Old 02-20-2008, 01:28 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Keep in mind that putting a 25 gallon tank back there would do a few things: First, it moves the fuel back between the bumper and rear axle. Ever heard of the issue the Pinto had? This could cause similar issues.

Second, as someone mentioned, it poses an issue with the filler neck. You could always relocate the filler neck to inside the bed, but that could be a pain too...

Third, it'll require some custom work to make the OEM sending unit assembly work. IIRC, the OEM unit sits in a reservoir stamped into the bottom of the tank. That reservoir provides a cooling pool for the pump to sit in any time it's running. A fuel cell won't have the same setup at all.

Fourth: The level sensor part of the sending unit likely won't fit nicely in a cell, and if it does, odds are it won't swing the way it needs to.

Fifth: Emissions equipment likely won't transfer over to a cell. Broncos didn't have anywhere near the equipment the new trucks have. The leak in the old tank will likely be detected by the emissions system and set a trouble code. Big annoyance to make it go away.

Sixth: Why mess with what's such an easy and inexpensive fix? $160 for the tank and you're done. Swap over the rollover valves and the OBD-II sensor, along with the sending unit and bam, you're done! Custom plumbing for a fuel cell, plus the fuel cell itself, plus the pump to run in it, plus a custom sensor for the level, plus countless electrical connections, plus the attachment of the cell to the bed.... is it really worth the hassle?

Oh, and the exhaust issue is simple: Find a GOOD exhaust shop. They'll route them wherever you want.

Old 02-20-2008, 01:31 PM
In reference to the extra weight, you will have more weight back there, but, the longer you go the less weight you will have.

Plus, in the winter, the best place to have extra weight is right above the axle. You would be giving it more reason to slide around. (IMHO) Fluids don't sit still like concrete blocks do.

Old 02-20-2008, 06:03 PM
lol wow im getin blasted on this thread....what about excursions they had the same tank style as a bronco..in the back and those are alot newer...after that big list you listed off i think im just going to replace the tank and go to the exhuast shop. just seemed like a good idea....yeah who needs traction any ways? its overrated its much more fun to see a 3 ton truck sliding sideways!!! Thannks for all your resposes guys

Old 03-04-2009, 12:59 PM
Time to bring this thread back to life. My buddys dad has said he'll help me fabramacate stuff to make this work i found a 33 gal brocno tank for 116 bucks and free shipping. i figure ill get the tank and a bronco sending unit and while were putting the bronco tank in ill just leave my stock tank in untill were all done and its reday to be switch over then i can run 45ed before the rear tires on both sides *Maybe lightning exits on both sides * Anyways heres the tank....would my sending unit and pump work in the 33 gal tank or would i need the bronco sending unit and pump? Thanks for all the feed back guys from before *i just re read this* and to come after this post.

http://cgi.ebay.com/1985-1986-Ford-B...d=p4634.c0.m14

Old 03-04-2009, 01:13 PM
Technical Article Contributor

That's a lot of work and pain the the butt for an easier exhaust setup and some traction.

just replace the tank and buy some sand bags.

I don't really see much of a benefit in what your trying to do.

Your truck though man!

Old 03-04-2009, 01:26 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The older trucks (pre97) with duel tanks used to have a tank there, BUT, it was totally surrounded by the frame and crossmembers, something that would be difficult to do on a newer vehicle. The spare was up against it to help protect the bottom.

Old 03-04-2009, 01:44 PM
i dont care about the traction its just for my tank they want 340 bucks for it when i could do this for 115. and the exhuast shop thats "10 bucks a foot as many bends as you need" Qutoed me 350 bucks to put the driver side pipe even with the passenger side pipe thats not even over the axle or anything. i just want something differnt for exhuast and everyone on here always wants to run lightning exits on both sides so im going to do it and show everyone what it looks like. And plus it'll be a fun project im always helping my buddy do projects his turn to help me do one on my truck!

Old 03-28-2009, 10:05 PM
well gots a guy on a 4x4 site gave me a free 33 gallon bronco tank sendin unit n all about 20 bucks in gas but oh well. went to the car wash i washed it really good and i stuck the power washer in there filled it with about 10 gallons of water let it sit in the grass by the end of the day there prob wasnt even a gallon in it so its got a hole in the bottom...oh well will wire wheel it down and brase somthing on there to make it not leak.... any other ideas on sealing a tank without using somthing really freaking hot like welding or braseing?

Old 03-28-2009, 10:16 PM
napa, advance and autozone and even walmart carry some kind of soft metal that comes in a tube, it hardens as it sits. maybe try that. i dont know how rusty the tank is if at all but if the metal is too thin you may end up just putting holes in the tank with a welder.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Gas tank in place of spare tire??