What temperature on my 2005 5.4?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2008, 11:46 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Exclamation What temperature on my 2005 5.4?

Just wondering since I set my temp on my e fan install to 202 at the radiator, what is really recommended at the radiator sensor? My controller comes stock at 180 degrees, but I read that I should set for 202 degrees. I am measuring at the radiator bottom hose and across the left side of my radiator where the inlet to the engine is. The controller is keeping the temp in the radiator at 202 to 205degrees at the radiator. I assume the thermostat is 195. should I set the controller to 194 at the radiator???? My temp guage in the truck still rides the center line. I measure the temp on the radiator with an infared reader.:o :o :o

Old 02-15-2008, 11:01 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The water at the thermostat is theoretically the hottest water flowing in the system. The temp between the thermostat housing and the inlet to the radiaor is not going to change by much. You need to set your turn on temps by the water temp as close to the radiator (hose) inlet as you can get it. Suggested turn on temp is around 205+. Anything much cooler than that and the fan is going to run all the time. You do not want to set it below the themp of the thermostat. What good would that do anyways??

Your truck's not going to overheat if that's what you're thinking. Remember, just because these fans turn on at a certain temp, the turn off temp is usually around 7-10 degrees below that. 205-210 is actually a nomal operating temp for modern engines and is no where near close to being too hot.

Yes, you were correct about the thermo being 195*.

Your temp gauge in the truck is completely useless. I have a real gauge installed in mine. My stock gauge in the dash usually reaches its "normal" poition around 160* and I have seen my temp up to 230* and the stock gauge never moved!! I don't know how hot the temp would have to get before the stock gauge gave you any indication.

Old 02-15-2008, 11:38 AM
thank you for your reply, then the 202 degree setting that I have now is good. I measure the temp at the radiator and it is staying at 202 contantly. When I measure the temp at the thermostate housing it is lower. Has anybody got a mod to make the temp guage on the dash read correctly?

Old 02-15-2008, 12:48 PM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
The temperature gauge is not a coolant temperature gauge. It's a cylinder head temp gauge.

Old 02-15-2008, 07:34 PM
Originally Posted by glc
The temperature gauge is not a coolant temperature gauge. It's a cylinder head temp gauge.
Oh, explain that to me, Why in earth did ford do that? Most consumers would worry about water temp... and the international symbol on the guage indicates water....

Old 02-16-2008, 12:27 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Just to expand on what glc said, it's not even a gauge. It's an idiot light with a needle instead of a light bulb. Don't sweat it or get too wraped up in it. No, there's no mod to make it a useful indicator. If you're that worried about it, install a water temp gauge like I did. Also, IMHO, 202 is still too low. I'd shoot for something closer to 205+ like I said earlier

Old 02-16-2008, 11:34 PM
Smile

Originally Posted by Galaxy
Just to expand on what glc said, it's not even a gauge. It's an idiot light with a needle instead of a light bulb. Don't sweat it or get too wraped up in it. No, there's no mod to make it a useful indicator. If you're that worried about it, install a water temp gauge like I did. Also, IMHO, 202 is still too low. I'd shoot for something closer to 205+ like I said earlier
it is set for 202, but the fan doesnt turn on till it reaches 206 according to the infared reader. My options are 14 or 22 above 180 on this controller. I can also go 14 or 22 lower than 180. DCcontrols does sell one that is variable but I cant remember what the limits are. By the way this is the temp of the water as it goes into the engine. That is what the controller manufacturor specifies in the installation instructions.

Old 02-17-2008, 01:31 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
On my truck the CHT runs about 2-4 degrees F higher than the water temp.. is this normal?

Quick Reply: What temperature on my 2005 5.4?