Go Back   F150online Forums > Powertrain & Mechanical > V8 Engines
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to F150Online Forums!
Welcome to F150Online.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the F150Online Forums community today!

Old 01-25-2008, 07:54 PM

2000 F150 idle speed doesn't increase when cold

My 2000 F150 (5.4L) just recently developed a problem where it won't increase the idle speed when I first start it in the morning or after it's sat for many hours. It starts immediately, but then dies unless I hold my foot on the accelerator. I have to do that as I back out of the drive & maybe at the end of the block. But once warmed up some, it's fine - idles at ~ 600 rpm. If I shut the engine off & restart it immediately or say, w/in a couple hours, it's still fine.

Is this a common problem when one sensor, etc., goes bad, that it only affects the idle speed when the engine's cold? I don't have a code reader for this vehicle, but guess I could buy one, even though can't afford it right now.

Thanks.
Old 01-25-2008, 08:19 PM

Vehicle: 1997 F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by phkhgh
My 2000 F150 (5.4L) just recently developed a problem where it won't increase the idle speed when I first start it in the morning or after it's sat for many hours. It starts immediately, but then dies unless I hold my foot on the accelerator. I have to do that as I back out of the drive & maybe at the end of the block. But once warmed up some, it's fine - idles at ~ 600 rpm. If I shut the engine off & restart it immediately or say, w/in a couple hours, it's still fine.

Is this a common problem when one sensor, etc., goes bad, that it only affects the idle speed when the engine's cold? I don't have a code reader for this vehicle, but guess I could buy one, even though can't afford it right now.

Thanks.
Try this link I think if you clean the IAC it do the trick
Rough Idle Problem

you'll have to cut and paste i mees the link up somehow

Last edited by Tumba; 01-26-2008 at 02:49 AM.
Old 01-25-2008, 08:21 PM

Rough Idle Problem

maybe this will work!
Old 01-25-2008, 09:19 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Vehicle: 1998 Ford F150 5.4L 4X4

Old 01-25-2008, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrew

what'd i do
Old 01-25-2008, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumba
what'd i do
Something funny

Old 01-25-2008, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumba
Try this link I think if you clean the IAC it do the trick
Rough Idle Problem
you'll have to cut and paste i mees the link up somehow

I fixed
Old 01-25-2008, 11:29 PM

Thanks for the replies & link!

Would the "IAC" being stuck go along w/ the symptom that it won't increase idle speed when cold, but the idle speed is completely normal once engine warms up?

There is one other thing I forgot. The accelerator linkage is sometimes a little sticky when first depressing the accelerator. Not much, but noticable - especially when weather is colder. Don't know if that has anything to do w/ this prob.

Last edited by phkhgh; 01-25-2008 at 11:38 PM.
Old 01-26-2008, 10:54 AM

Thanks for all replies & the link.

I read that some suggested cleaning the IAC w/ throttle body cleaner (removing it 1st). Of course, Chiltons says "do NOT attempt to clean the IAC w/ any type solvent cleaners - it will damage the internal components."

I've read up a little & some say ignore the warning to NOT use *throttle body cleaner* or any other to clean the IAC, the ports where it connects to the throttle body (which apparantly sometimes get carboned up), or even the butterfly valve, etc., inside of the throttle body.

Is this a good idea or not to clean the IAC & connection ports, & especially the throttle body w/ throttle body cleaner?

I notice there are about 4 different error codes listed in the Chilton's for the IAC.

If I decide to buy a code reader, any suggestions on brands / models that won't break the bank but aren't complete junk? The most common brand locally is Actron, but may be others if I searched enough.

Thanks again.
Old 01-26-2008, 11:03 AM

Your answers are in the link , that's why the sticky was made. I would just be repeating what's been said over and over again. Plenty of IAC info.

I don't use a scanner because Auto Zone scans for free..
Old 01-28-2008, 03:24 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Ford F-150
Send a message via AIM to GIJoeCam Send a message via Yahoo to GIJoeCam
I think the problem resides with either the IAC or the engine coolant temp sensor. Both could cause the issue you;re having...

-Joe

98 Explorer bone-stock (Lemon Law Case in Progress)

Photo Gallery Here

I'm not smart, just a resourceful idiot with some spare time.
Old 01-28-2008, 03:24 PM