Summit Racing UD Pulley Install w/ pics

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 12:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Summit Racing UD Pulley Install w/ pics

I have been hunting around for a new mod after my e-fan install last summer. Finally decided on UD pulleys after reading numerous posts here. I settled on the UD pulley Kit from Summit Racing, for the 2003 Expedition 4.6L. There are two kits actually, one for a "short" waterpump, and one for a "long" pump. The 2003 was listed as a short. However my Ex must have the long style as the new water pump pulley was not deep enough to align with the belt track. I had already installed the crank and alt pulleys before I found this out

Summit let me exhange just the waterpump pulley for the "long" style, which fit perfectly. While waiting for the exchange, I remounted the OEM pulley and got a reduced length belt from Pepboys (98.5" if you want to know). Took me two trips to PB's before I got the right length

Impressions: Very prompt shipping. Well packed. Clear instructions. Parts are definately quality. The crank pulley is also the harmonic dampner. After reading somewhere about balancing issues with the piggy back style, I opted to find a one-piece unit. The crank pulley is polished steel with timing marks engraved. The water pump pulley is stamped steel, fairly thick and nicely painted or coated. The alt pulley is also well made.

The kit comes with 3 bolts- replacement alt mounting bolt for waterpump pulley clearance, a long "install" bolt used to get the crank pulley started, and then a new crank pulley bolt.

I also got a ton of window stickers and a fairly nice black Summit Racing cap. The cap must be worn to ensure proper installation

Even without the SR water pump pulley, there was a dramatic improvement in acceleration and range. The truck will stay in gear and wind out a good bit longer than it did before. Even my wife noticed (and liked) it.

I also picked up 2 mpg maybe more on the highway (17.5 with winter gas), and about 1.5-2ish with mixed driving. The waterpump pulley should only help that go up.

See next post for part 2-

Old 01-15-2008, 12:59 PM
Summit Racing UD pulley install

Installation -

here is the kit layed out with some of the tools.. you will need the harmonic dampner puller for sure, but you don't need the installer. The bolt in the kit works fine. I also got a Gatorback belt too - seemed like a good idea.

here are the two pulleys. the OEM pulley has the puller installed. It takes some muscle to wrench it off, but just be patient.

The instructions said to use an impact wrench to remove the crank bolt and the alternator bolt. I have an electric wrench, but it would not fit in my by, even with the efans... So I had to remove the crank bolt the old fashioned way - with a breaker bar. The only problem is that the engine will turn when you try to do this. the instructions include a neat little trick for holding the engine still. On the driver's side of the tranny, on the torque converter, ther is a large rubber plug that, when removed, allows access to several 14mm bolts on the face of the TC. As the engine turns, these bolts pass by the opening where the plug is removed. You can use a deep well socket to "hang on" to a 14mm bolt and keep the engine from turning.

Here is a shot looking straight up, rear to the bottom of the pick, drivers side to the right. You will see the socket handle and socket in the center of the pic:

I had my strapping 16 year old son under there holding on whilest i used the breaker bar with a 18mm socket on the crank pulley. I laid across the top of the eingine and with my left hand grasped the psgr side wheel well and pulled for my life with the right hand. As soon as it broke loose, I could take it out with my fingers. Then the dampner puller and voila. She's off.

The instructions did say to replace the front oil seal, but I did not do that. Couldn't find anyone else who did. I guess they were just being thorough.

After cleaning the surfaces off, I applied a little fresh oil to the crank pulley shaft and the face of the oil seal. I applied some fresh RTV high temp oil resisitant sealat to the keyway slot on the new pulley. Care must be taken not to get oil on there. It must make a tight seal to keep the oil from leaking from the front seal. The pulley slipped on enough to allow alignment with the keyway. then the install bolt was threaded with the OEM washer and was advanced far enough to allow the replacement crank pulley bolt threads to catch. There is a big warning not to seat the install bolt as it will damage the threads and then you are in deep doo-doo.

There are also instructions for torqueing the new bolt. She's on there reall tight now

To get the waterpump pulley off, I wedges a long screwdriver against a pump bolt and the threads from the OEM mechanical fan. I didn't have to put so much pressure that the threads would mar. The pump pulley uses a 10mm socket:

part 3-

Old 01-15-2008, 01:03 PM
Part 3

The alternator pulley was going to be a problem. I couldn't fit my impact gun in there, and i had no way to wedge the thing and do it by hand. Then I had an idea - why not take it off the engine (4 bolts) and just lay it there and use the gun??? I did that, only to realize my 1" socket was a 3/8 drive and the gun is 1/2. My strapping son said he would go look in the basement for a reducer in my old box... a few minutes later re-apearing with 3 old 1" sockets that were 1/2" drive! That boy earned his supper that night! We just wrapped the belt around the pulley to help hold it and Zip - off the old nut came, then Zip, on went the new pulley and nut. BE CAREFUL NOT TO STRIP THE ALT MOUNTING HOLES WHEN YOU PUT IT BACK ON. Oye.

here is a measurement of a "long" water pump in case you need to know for your self:

The new pulley bolts were tightened the same way.

Last thing - the water pump. After all that, I mounted it and went to put the belt on. The pulley would not line up as it stuck too far out from the path of the belt. That's when I understood what the website meant about long and short style pumps.

It took about 2 weeks to send and receive the new pulley which was listed as fitting the pre-2003 model year trucks, but it was a perfect fit for the "long" water pump I seem to have.

Here is everything bolted up:

The cost of the kit is $159.00 + shipping. For me it was 159 + 10 (pulley return mail) + 30 (temp belt). Oh well.

If you avoid my errors, you can get a top quality kit for 159.00 - I think it is the best deal out there.

Old 01-15-2008, 01:08 PM
one last thing...

Sorry for the typos and pictures being a little disjointed. I was rushing on my lunch hour and I kept getting messages that my posts were too long, too many pics etc. I have a few more pics in my gallery if you are interested.

Old 01-15-2008, 03:07 PM
Good write up. Thanx. Do the meizer water pump next.

Old 02-02-2008, 02:53 PM
Originally Posted by waterman308
The cost of the kit is $159.00 + shipping. For me it was 159 + 10 (pulley return mail) + 30 (temp belt). Oh well.

If you avoid my errors, you can get a top quality kit for 159.00 - I think it is the best deal out there.
Sorry but on the Summit Ford page, I don't see a product number for the truck pulley by Summit. Only BBK. All of the specified parts are for the 5.0/5.8. When you look into the modular V8 listing, it's only BBK.

Can you get the part number you used for your installation? So we can check on the Summit pulley kit for the Modular V8. I have the 5.4 (2003) and have an interest in pulley's.

Old 02-02-2008, 07:27 PM
Hmmmm

You are right - I only see it for the 4.6L engine. Part # sum -c2510, 2511, 2512.

It might fit the 5.4. Give them a call. Odd that they don't seem to show one for the most popular engines.

Old 02-19-2008, 07:45 PM
Just order a set. Let's see how it goes for me.

Old 02-19-2008, 09:43 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I also picked up 2 mpg maybe more on the highway (17.5 with winter gas), and about 1.5-2ish with mixed driving. The waterpump pulley should only help that go up.
If you really got that much more, that is DAMN impressive, and def. worth it...

Old 02-20-2008, 08:21 AM
I'm pleased

the mpg's vary of course depending on if I'm empty, driving a full carpool, getting stuck in NJ traffic etc. But when I'm empty and doing highway, the mpg is easily 1-2 better than before the pulleys. The acceleration difference is nice too. Even my wife noticed it and made a complimentary remark

Old 02-20-2008, 05:08 PM
I think mine gets here tomorrow. I'll see if there's enough sunlight to give this a try.

For the alternator, does it really need an impact wrench (I don't have one .) Maybe I can borrow one from auto zone...

Old 02-20-2008, 05:12 PM
Originally Posted by ELVATO
I think mine gets here tomorrow. I'll see if there's enough sunlight to give this a try.

For the alternator, does it really need an impact wrench (I don't have one .) Maybe I can borrow one from auto zone...
I didn't use one on mine, just loosened it with belt still on. Just be sure you have a good puller, the 4.6's use metric threads on the damper so be careful not to mess those up.

Old 02-20-2008, 08:43 PM
I bought an electric impact wrench/gun from Pepboys for changing tires. got tired (no pun intended) of using the cursed spider wrench on those lugnuts. I couldn't fit the impact gun in between the alternator and the efan housing, so I loosened the four alt bolts and just took it off with wires still attached and wrapped the belt around the pulley to hold it still and zip - off it came with the impact gun. You will need a 1" socket to get that bolt off. If you can get it with just a socket wrench, more power to ya!

Auto zone will rent a puller kit. It has several different sets of bolts that fit the holes in the OEM dampner. Just take your time. It will take some elbow grease to turn the puller bolt, but it will come off.

Getting the new dampner started is a little tricky as you need to use some high temp oil-resisstant RTV sealant on the keyway and get it on before it sets up.

The pulley kit comes with a new dampner bolt (you cannot resuse the OEM bolt), and, an installer bolt, which is a little longer than the new permanent bolt. It is used to get the dampner started on the shaft. don't screw it in too far - just enough to allow the permanent bolt to start on some threads. Then use the permanent bolt to pull it all the way on. You can also heat the dampner in boiling water for 15 minutes to expand it to make it go on easier. I did not do that.

After having the new pulleys on a month or so, I think I might bump up the idle speed (set at 600 rpm) a little to improve the alt output and the water circulation a little. Other sites I have looked at state that the alt will make full power at 850 rpm. Mostly just for when you are sitting at a light or in traffic.

Let us know how you make out!

Old 02-22-2008, 11:45 PM
Well, it got here yesterday, but it was raining.

Learning from waterman's experience, I installed the water pulley first. And, as I had dreaded, it was too narrow.

Here's some pictures:
I'd say there's a good .5-1 inch difference between bolt holes.

As waterman had said, it doesn't line up with the other pulleys. As you can see, I also removed the fan shroud, in preparation for the E-fan installation next week.

A few minutes with Summit CS, everything got straightened out. So off to Summit it goes. I ordered kit# SUM-C2511. The one I'm getting is SUM-C2510 (I'm guessing the long type water pump.)

Even though it's only two cars, I think it's safe to say that the 2003 Expeditions w/ the 4.6 have a "long style" water pump (for any future 03 Expys looking to buy the kit.)

As an unrelated side note, I didn't get any stickers. I was really looking forward to the stickers.

Old 02-23-2008, 12:11 AM
waterman,
Would you mind measuring the diameter of the water pump pulley and the alternator pulley? Trying to find those two that will fit with my supercharger belt and not hit the crank pulley, it has to stay the same due to the supercharger pulley bolting to the stock harmonic balancer.

Quick Reply: Summit Racing UD Pulley Install w/ pics