Fuel Pump Problem??

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2007, 09:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel Pump Problem??

My 1999 F-150 Extended Cab is blowing the F18 fuse from time to time. I did spray some engine degreaser and some water in the engine bay to do some cleaning in the morning and I started the engine for about 20 mins. right after the cleaning with no problems.

Then went for a ride and problems started. The engine start and run but sometimes blow the F18 fuse and quit. After this the engine crank, but won't start. I already know from a previous fault about a year ago that this fuse power that PATS module and I think it have something to do with the fuel pump relay. I checked harness for short circuit with no luck. When I replace the fuse it blow it right away. Then I wait let say 15 mins. change the fuse and I'm able to start the engine again. I checked fuel presssure and I have about 30 PSI witch I already know is getting low. I think the fuel pump is going south and the current is getting higher little by little until the fuse is blown. I also notice that with the engine running If I disconnect vacuum at the regulator the fuel pressure raise to 40 PSI.

Does this make sense?????

Other questions, How I could tell if the problem is indeed the pump or maybe the pressure regulator???? Can someone tell how much current the pump should take??? I'll try to change both of them anyways. This truck got 130K miles on it and I think it deserve it. Any advice on changing the regulator????? Just want to know in case I run into a similar problems in the future.

Thank you in advance for any help and Happy Holidays

Old 12-29-2007, 09:27 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
I pressured washed my Escape's engine like a year after I bought it... well... it was the worst thing I could have done to it. I started it up, and it did all sorts of weird things. Like the engine temperature wouldn't work correctly, the engine would ping, and it stalled on me like 10 times. So I had to take it for a trip down to NYC, and it stalled going 75 mph on the thruway, and it stalled in the middle of an intersection in NYC blocking up traffic. I turned it off, and it took me like 45 minutes to get it started... swore to myself I'd never do that crap again. That's for sure.

Anyhow, I think that engines are not meant to get wet.

Old 12-30-2007, 08:48 AM
JMC

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Check the wires leading to the MAF sensor for chaffing. If the red one shorts to ground you will blow that fuse. I don't see washing the engine doing this.

JMC

Old 12-30-2007, 11:12 AM
It's like the second or third time I do this on this truck in a period of 5 years that I had owned the truck, but this is the first time I got this particular problem right after the washing.

The MAF sensor is the one located at the firewall on the driver side with the vacuum port for testing???? How about the fuel pressure??? I changed the fuel pump yesterday, because it was something that I already was about to do, and the fuel pressure still at 30 PSI witch is a little on the low side, right???

Old 12-30-2007, 12:04 PM
glc
Received 756 Likes on 702 Posts
The MAF sensor is in the intake tube between the air cleaner and the throttle body.

Old 12-30-2007, 01:23 PM
Originally Posted by glc
The MAF sensor is in the intake tube between the air cleaner and the throttle body.
Thanks!!

Old 12-31-2007, 08:40 PM
I wipe my engine down never hose my engine off if your engine thats dirty youre doing something wrong

Old 01-01-2008, 11:53 AM
JMC

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Mine gets dirty all the time. See Pic.

JMC

Old 01-03-2008, 10:14 AM
The engine was not hosed. I only spray some deagreaser and with the same bottle spray wateto it. Anyway I changed the fuel pump and filter and I still got about 32 Pounds on the fuel rail.

If I disconnect the vacumm at the fuel regulator the pressure increase to 40. Do you think my regulator is going bad??? Any info on how to change the regulator??? I don't see any bolt or anything to loose to take it out.

Thank you guys,

Old 01-03-2008, 03:46 PM
Originally Posted by El Boricua
The engine was not hosed. I only spray some deagreaser and with the same bottle spray wateto it. Anyway I changed the fuel pump and filter and I still got about 32 Pounds on the fuel rail.

If I disconnect the vacumm at the fuel regulator the pressure increase to 40. Do you think my regulator is going bad??? Any info on how to change the regulator??? I don't see any bolt or anything to loose to take it out.

Thank you guys,
Fuel pressure is supposed to go up when the regulator is unplugged. It's perfectly normal. Fuel pressure is right on also, 35-45 with the regulator unplugged.

Quick Reply: Fuel Pump Problem??