Very Worried " yellow liquid dripping from exhaust"

Old 12-22-2007, 10:30 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Very Worried " yellow liquid dripping from exhaust"

Hi,

Just drove from Canada down to Florida. This morning I noticed a small amount of yellow liquid driping from the muffler under the truck. I am guessing that it is coolant which has me worried that the engine has major problems. The coolant level is still fine maybe just down a little bit.

2003 F150 4X2
56,000Km
engine 4.6

What would be the recommendations or tips.

Thanks for the help.

My ideas are :
1. Buy a new truck..... trade it in quick!
2. Should have brought the extended warantee, maybe sign up for one now.
3. Just keep and eye on it and watch the coolant level.

Old 12-22-2007, 10:34 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Was it running hot? What is your coolant level? Do a visual under the hood to make sure something is not leaking exturnal and running down the exhaust pipe.

Old 12-22-2007, 10:43 AM
Not running hot according the gauge on the dash. The coolant is at the bottom line for cold and the engine is cold now it's been sitting overnight. I hope it just some leakage from the big tempurature difference and the long haul. We did drive it hard a few times. On the I 75 you have to drive 80miles a hour just to stay up with the traffic in some sections.

Old 12-22-2007, 11:10 AM
Could it have been rusty condensation????

Old 12-22-2007, 12:43 PM
I really wish it was rusty condensation. There is a lot condensation on the bottom of the truck but this liquid is yellow. It seems like perfectly clean coolant. I can tell it is driping from small cracks in the muffler.

Old 12-22-2007, 01:06 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
well, smell like? notice any special color smoke from exhaust? ya know if you've got a head gasket problem you'll notice something going somewhere. youll burn oil or water, or maybe youll notice your water level go up or down change color etc

Old 12-22-2007, 05:46 PM
I think it is just rusty condesation. I had a similar thing last year coming from my muffler, and my coolant level was fine with no smoke from the exhaust. I have over 211k on my truck.

Old 12-22-2007, 06:33 PM
does it have a sweet smell-if it is coolant it will definitely have a sweet smell.

if it is enough to collect in a container -drop in some vinegar or swimming pool acid- if it is rust it will dissolve it and and will be bubbly

Old 12-22-2007, 08:03 PM
Back track the fluid to make sure it's not leaking from your fluid reservoir and dripping onto the exhaust and running down to the muffler before going to the ground.

Or it could be a heater hose leaking at the firewall and dripping onto the exhaust.

Or, it could be a leaking head gasket at the rear of the head.

Just check everything around the engine before you get to excited. Could be an easy fix.

good luck.

Old 12-23-2007, 02:31 PM
It is coolant for sure! "sweet smell".

I did a visual inspection under the hood and tried to looks for the source ,but I have not been able to see any. The coolant is leaking out of a small hole in the muffler so the coolant is inside the exhaust not dripping on the outside on it and working it's way down to the muffler. Ran it for ten minutes in the drive way and it left a small puddle. I still haven't noticed the coolant level drop. But I will check again once the truck is cool again.
I think the best thing is to have it checked out at a dealership (likely
I will get ripped off) or a garage around here. I don't need to drive it until after Christmas. I have to find out if the truck can make it back to Canada or not.

Anyone know a trust worthy Ford dealership or mechanic in or near Port Charlotte Florida?

Thanks,

Old 12-24-2007, 03:08 PM
Booked the truck in at Don Gasgarths Charlotte County Ford for the 26th.
I used the online booking so hopefully I really do get in and see them that day. I will do my best not to get ripped off but I think only a dealer will be able to fix it right in the the short amount of time.

I would not trust driving that thing 28 hours back to Ottawa and have the engine sieze on one of these highways. I saw enough carnage on the way down to know that you really need your vechical in top condition.

Old 12-26-2007, 08:39 PM
Dealer did a pressure test on the cooling system to insure that there was not a leak and did a visual inspection and told me there is nothing to worry about.

They did not beleive me that it was coolant. All they could see was water dripping.

Today there is nothing dripping from it ,but I still have the yellow liquid on the driveway from the day before which I am still sure it coolant but maybe it just some crap that worked it's way through the system. Maybe some bad gas with coolant added to it.

Old 12-26-2007, 08:59 PM
Coolant

Funny thing happened to me on my car one time.. It was idling and water was dripping out of the exhaust and I saw green on the ground in the puddle of water. I freaked and thought it was coolant. Ended up wiping the floor off to discover it was a little light green paint stained on the floor right where it was dripping!

Old 12-26-2007, 11:08 PM
sounds like water from the condensor dripping into the exhaust... if it is coolant. look on the bright side!! it keeps ur EGT's down!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Very Worried " yellow liquid dripping from exhaust"