97 f150 4.6 intermittent rough idle when warm

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2007, 08:04 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well a 97 f150 with a 4.6 only has two coil packs not 8.

Old 12-12-2007, 08:12 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
time for tune up and clean the throttle plate

Old 12-12-2007, 08:40 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by bbarber275
Well a 97 f150 with a 4.6 only has two coil packs not 8.
Very good , your correct about 4six

BUT, I haven't see a vehicle with 8 coil packs yet.. Is it a Ford?

You have a pic of it?

Last edited by jbrew; 12-12-2007 at 08:43 AM.
Old 12-12-2007, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by Matts ford
time for tune up and clean the throttle plate

Old 12-12-2007, 11:24 AM
Originally Posted by jbrew
No,No Nooo -Lab Scope ? Commoonnnnn.... - I talking out in the field doc.. Were not dissecting frogs out here - I don't really care what a coil looks like close up - Hell , I just want them to work..

Re-read all my posts , then yours Yea , I think you out "brash" me .. If that's a bad thing?- Is that a word?

Alright , you probably know this already, just in case - the PCM shoots a low voltage signal to each coil in a COP system. Coils convert signal to pulse. Coils can pass Primary and Secondary testing and still be bad as you know. Coil pulse can be monitored via probe test light.

Wouldn't that be something if you could stretch all that out and monitor pulse under load conditions from inside the cab during the drive cycle. ?

You would have yourself a homemade stress test .... It would beat the hell out of looking for COP germs thru your Giro scope or whatever..
I was talking IN THE FIELD , A test light won't tell squat about coil integrity, it will only show a flash for each pulse from the P.C.M. No info there unless you just want to see a pulse flash, Woooow, sorry if you don't have one but you need a LAB SCOPE!!!!!!!! any one who knows C.O.P. ignition will tell you that, or anything about modern vehicle systems for that matter. How do you check an injector, listen for a tick. Thats probably why you have so many left over or "extras" as you say. Stop trying to show me up, you have already failed basic diagnosis. Oh, and you can "stress test" and view a scope pattern while driving. Once again sorry about the Hijacking.

Old 12-12-2007, 01:47 PM
Theres something seriously wrong with this cat . - Here you are , from your first post in this thread -

One step at a time -

The OP had Bosch plugs in the engine. There has been countless issues in the past with those plugs. The first thing suggested was to install OEM's and go from there . The OP bypassed an engine management component . The next suggestion was to make that right to eliminate it from being the problem.

More from your FIRST post -

All that was suggested at this point was to re-adjust the modifications made to the engine back to OEM condition. The plugs that the manufacturer specked for the motor and to reincorporate the engine vac reserve the OP bypassed. I would think a good technician would have suggested the same . Before that, he didn't replace anything out of the ordinary. You have NO basses for your comments . Your being a DCK at this point. No worries, stupidity catching up fast .. IMO the OP seen thru you, I think he bailed. Your Dumba$$ Dictating Disease should have stopped after his reply to your first comment. That must have been a weee bit over your head I figure - you didn't shut up.

Again, more of your babbling from your first post -

Not completely true and misleading - For one , the parameters on these vehicles are set and monitored by the PCM. When components weaken or fail bringing them outside of set parameters, a Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL)will illuminate in most cases. Granted , not in every instance , but if the O2's where actually bad enough to create a miss , there would have been a MIL set long before getting to that point. The O2' sensors in my experience have not failed to produce a fault light when outside of parameter margins.

This statement , from post #1 pi$$ed me off, yep , you got me mad here - be proud..

More of your useless dictation - Where theres a will theres a way. Every things covered that I think of . - From brakes to replacing the resister in the computer . Some may not be comfortable with everything , yes , they should farm it out if that's the case. You sure do like attempting to make yourself look superior.. So how did cutting these forums down feel? Did it feel good. Well, these forums here deserve more credit than that. Once you leave , the coolness level will be back @ 100%.. Common, this place has helped many folks figure things out. Saving people time and dealership costs. Way back when, not to long ago , you were pretty much at the mercy of who ever was working on your vehicle .
I doubt I'd have as MANY miles on the clock , if it wasn't for this forum in particular.. I've been coming around here since 02. I didn't join for a long time - a few years anyway, I didn't have to. I found the answers to questions , usually pretty fast once I got here. Searching the web back then troubleshooting truck problems landed me here most of the time..

I honestly have to say , I have never seen someone this inaccurate carry on as long as you have. You called me an idiot , no big deal- I don't really give a frogs fat a$$. You referred to quite few people as idiots . Not only the few here , but people you've had dealings with in the past..
Well whatever, first I thought you were just an a$$ who had a bad day or something. That's changed some , your just not right...In-fact , your way off, on just about everything man..

The P0401 comment above is just freakin awesome, thanks
It is nice to see that you got someone to type for you now, illiteracy is a problem in this country. Your followers believe you because they have read your posts for a long time and thats great , for now my whole shop is enjoying the "useless information" that you do post about some things (in case you haven't noticed, it is you that has had a problem with me originaly). I hope you don't mind that I printed these up and am using some in one of my classes, you are becoming a celebrity around here and get alot of laughs but it is only to show that people like you exist and what NOT to do (in some cases). I don't really know why I am even going on about you two when you guys bring in more misdiagnosed vehicles than the ones who don't use the internet. Business is booming with do it yourselfers now, than ever before. You work at Auto zone don't you? I will be leaving these forums soon because of the way I have been treated from day one, but for now, some fun. Magazine Mechanics, start your engines!! (if you can).

Old 12-12-2007, 02:18 PM
Hey now. I dont want techdoc or jbrew leaving.

why dont you two stop fighting and just chill out.

it's just the internet.

I like having a slew of opinions to work from when trying to work out a problem, which thankfully is few and far between.

The board, here is better with more members like you two that will post solutions to problems. Nobody has to leave.

Old 12-12-2007, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by TECHDOC
I will be leaving these forums soon because of the way I have been treated from day one, but for now, some fun. Magazine Mechanics, start your engines!! (if you can).

Why you leaving? Well , you shouldn't leave . I agree with Cure. I don't recall talking to you before yesterday honestly.. I'll have to search that out..

Stick around - just mello out a little :o

Last edited by jbrew; 12-12-2007 at 02:40 PM.
Old 12-12-2007, 04:38 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I think he listed it on Craigs List, He really didn't sound like he wanted to deal with after doin the plugs. If you don't like wrenching - doing the plugs in one these for the first time doesn't help with that much..

I seen those MS pics of you and the little one finally -Dad ( : Good Job. You get the motor back yet ?
hah yeah she's a cutie aint she? she coo's every morning, since she's the happiest then

motor is being assembled this week idk about this guy sometimes. its always something, atleast a few times i know it was legit when his mom went into hospital and then died a few weeks later. i told him its my x-mas gift to myself, hopefully he dont mess that up

Old 12-12-2007, 09:07 PM
Why you leaving? Well , you shouldn't leave . I agree with Cure. I don't recall talking to you before yesterday honestly.. I'll have to search that out..

Stick around - just mello out a little :o

O.K., I realize I have gotten a little defensive on some of those posts and I do not wish to ever insult enybody for no reason, but at the time it had seemed like the insults toward me were meant to degrade my integrity and not only from you. I felt as if you were just digging up technical questions to try and trip me up, then bring me in for the kill. I guess I might have been wrong about that and I apologize about the derogatory coments that I directed at you.:o I am not on the computer very much so I won't get in your way often, (maybee). I only remained on here so much these last two days to try and resolve this if the chance arose, then I started seeing posts refering to me as, well, I think you know what I mean. As far as leaving this site goes, well, I guess I would'nt wan't to upset anyone.

Old 12-12-2007, 10:33 PM
Exclamation 4.6 no power, staggering idle!

Hey everyone. I'd like to bring up a problem that I'm having if I could. I too am at a loss on this one. Lets start from the beginning...I have a 98 4.6 4x4 with the 3rd door. 125,000 miles. About a month ago i had a problem with the check engine light coming on. Had the code scanned, came up P0401-EGR Insufficient Flow. And another code I can't remember but it was for O2 sensor slow response, bank 2 sensor 1. Well so far I have replaced the EGR valve, DPFE sensor, cleaned the throttle body and EGR ports which were completely plugged with a solid carbon like substance. Replaced the passenger side O2 sensor-the one before the catalytic converter. The wonderful thing is NO MORE CHECK ENGINE LIGHT!! I am very happy to say that because I did not do all those things at once, I poked around a little before getting the CEL to go off. Oh actually I had to replace the DPFE sensor twice. Now with all that said...no power. Truck seems to idle fine/run fine but has no power. When I get on it she downshifts and makes all sorts of noise (engine revving, rpms jump up, etc..) but just seems like theres no power. Something I have noticed though, wether cold or warm if I'm in park and I rev the engine, it revs fine but when the rpms are falling back down their not smooth. It almost feels like the engine is stumbling. I don't know if that helps any but it is an awesome truck I just wish it ran in tip top condition. Any help is greatly appreciated on this one!! Also I changed plugs, wires, and IAC this summer.

Last edited by 98f150guy; 12-12-2007 at 11:36 PM.
Old 12-13-2007, 12:37 AM

Clean the MAF sensor.. - If it's been awhile , that will wake her up a little..

Let us know how that turns out - welcome to the site

Hit the link below for a "How To" if you want one..

http://www.fordf150.net/howto/clean-...low-sensor.php

Old 12-13-2007, 01:33 AM

Originally Posted by TECHDOC
O.K., I realize I have gotten a little defensive on some of those posts and I do not wish to ever insult enybody for no reason, but at the time it had seemed like the insults toward me were meant to degrade my integrity and not only from you. I felt as if you were just digging up technical questions to try and trip me up, then bring me in for the kill. I guess I might have been wrong about that and I apologize about the derogatory coments that I directed at you.:o I am not on the computer very much so I won't get in your way often, (maybee). I only remained on here so much these last two days to try and resolve this if the chance arose, then I started seeing posts refering to me as, well, I think you know what I mean. As far as leaving this site goes, well, I guess I would'nt wan't to upset anyone.

Yea , I wasn't to cool about things , sorry buddy.. Yea, stick around if you can..

Old 12-13-2007, 10:10 PM
Talking

jbrew. Wouldn't you think that is common sense? You gotta be kidding me. Don't get me wrong, this isn't a shot at you. It's a shot at myself. I can't believe I am so blind! I am hopeing that cleaning the MAF will cure my problem. I was planning on doing that this weekend along with a few other maintenance things. But it all makes sense now. I clicked on that link you posted and began reading about cleaning the MAF, which I've done before but wanted to see if I could learn anything new. The part about oiled filters affecting the MAF really caught my eye. I began to think back to when the problem started and sure enough I think it was shortly after I cleaned and re-oiled my air filter! I bet that darn thing got oil shot up into the sensor housing and coated the MAF wires. And the clouds part and birds begin to sing!! If this works I'm gonna do a burn out just for you...

Last edited by 98f150guy; 12-13-2007 at 10:19 PM.
Old 12-13-2007, 10:59 PM

I ran a K&N for awhile and had a little oil on the MAF from time to time. Personally I hated thinking about it all the time and I didn't want to oil lighter than recommended - That could make things much worse

I needed to do something !!!

Well, I just thru a WIX in there back then while I was debating my options..

I eventually figured it out - You know those K&N's make awesom lamp shades..

Quick Reply: 97 f150 4.6 intermittent rough idle when warm