Do we need an F-150 Hybrid?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2007, 04:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Do we need an F-150 Hybrid?

Read on MyRide.com that Chevy is coming out with another Silverado Hybrid
http://www.myride.com/research/edito...itorialId=3392

Any chance we might see one of these from Ford?

Old 11-26-2007, 05:34 PM
I'd like to see more hybrids to push the technology. Plugin hybrids or designs easily converted to plugin recharge would be even better.

Old 11-26-2007, 05:40 PM
NO!!! hybrids are un-safe (probably the MOST un-safe to work on, hands down!!), stupid, and do what? make less of an impact with fossil fuels?? Ok ya long haired hippie, lay off the dope long enough to ponder what you say when its time to throw away the millions and millions of Battery's these retarded Hybrids use. Hyrbrid is WAY the wrong direction. Diesal is the wave of the future, mark my words. Once you got a diesal warm you can practically poor ANYTHING to get er to run. Either diesal or... back to the drawing boards.

Old 11-26-2007, 06:00 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No,,,I wouldn't drive one!

Phil

Old 11-26-2007, 06:15 PM
very true, ive seen ppl pur motor oil into a semi and it ran. but it smoked alot.

Old 11-26-2007, 06:19 PM
Originally Posted by MercedesTech
NO!!! hybrids are un-safe (probably the MOST un-safe to work on, hands down!!), stupid, and do what? make less of an impact with fossil fuels?? Ok ya long haired hippie, lay off the dope long enough to ponder what you say when its time to throw away the millions and millions of Battery's these retarded Hybrids use. Hyrbrid is WAY the wrong direction. Diesal is the wave of the future, mark my words. Once you got a diesal warm you can practically poor ANYTHING to get er to run. Either diesal or... back to the drawing boards.

There is **no** question that there is/will be an environmental impact due to the use of lead-acid batteries in hybrid vehicles.

However, the proper disposal/reclamation of these batteries can be tightly controlled and contained. Yeah, there is a lot of lead (and other heavy metals) in automotive batteries... but at least you aren't pushing it out your tailpipe everywhere you drive.

The emissions from an internal combustion engine CANNOT be contained... and they are distributed wherever they drive. Diesel or gasoline makes no difference... you are a moving source of pollution...

I really don't understand the negativity surrounding hybrid vehicles. Are they perfect? No. They are just a stepping stone.... toward better technology and independence from foreign oil.

Diesel... yes, it can be more fuel efficient than gasoline, no doubt. However, there *is* a stigma against diesel engines in the U.S.A that isn't going away anytime soon. When you say 'diesel', people instinctively think smelly, smoky trucks ....

Old 11-26-2007, 06:31 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Hybrids, no. Diesel, yes. HFC, when it becomes available.

Old 11-26-2007, 06:37 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i'll drive one!
if it'll lay rubber when i want it to

Old 11-26-2007, 06:56 PM
I suggest a better return on efforts directed towards putting a diesel in the F150 that doesn't have the tremendous option adder cost.

One item of concern is that these hybrid batteries don't last for the life of the vehicle. I imagine the replacement cost is high. I'm watching to see the response when the first round of hybrids get into the battery replacement periods.

Also, the payload of the truck will have to be reduced, or the suspension beefed up, to offset the extra electrics. But then again, similar adjustments will likely have to be made for the diesel.

The extra purchase cost of the diesel motor can be financed. The replacement cost of the batteries likely cannot.

Isn't a gas-hybrid that gets 25mpg about the same as a straight-up diesel that gets 25mpg?

Old 11-26-2007, 07:37 PM
How well are those electric motors gunna turn 35s? Gunna have to carry a generator in the bed to charge the batteries when you go off roading too. If I bought I Hybrid I would gut the cats............73% of the clowns who bought Hybrids said they bought it because it "said something about who they were." only 12% said it was because of the environment. Its a cultural guilt trip. A prius gets 60mpg in the city...and like 25 on the higway because it has to pull allthose batteries around. They might be electric, but they make more of a impact on the environment than a VW jetta diesel 5 sp,. PLease read...........>http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news0...idwatch01.html.. ..In defense I will post the replies to this as well..http://www.autobloggreen.com/2007/01...cious-attacks/ This guy claims that dividing miles driven by gallons used is not a accurate way to figure gas mileage You should trust Toyotas on board computer, that has no way to figure variables, like the wind.

Old 11-26-2007, 07:46 PM
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
Sorry to say but the hybrids that are available today are a political joke. Take a Prius, for example. Driving on the hiway it gets a realistic 45 MPG. A VW diesel will blow the doors off of it and get 60 MPG. Now, let's put that Prius in town on a hot day and you have the A/C running. The gas engine will never shut down carrying the A/C. So here you sit in traffic with the engine running 3500 RPMs and going nowhere. As far as the GM truck, I wonder just how long those electric motors are going to last pulling a load from California thru the desert to Florida. I haven't seen any outside cooling for these motors other than the bypassing air. I don't see that they will hold up very long.

Old 11-26-2007, 07:47 PM
Originally Posted by wde3477
I suggest a better return on efforts directed towards putting a diesel in the F150 that doesn't have the tremendous option adder cost.

One item of concern is that these hybrid batteries don't last for the life of the vehicle. I imagine the replacement cost is high. I'm watching to see the response when the first round of hybrids get into the battery replacement periods.

Also, the payload of the truck will have to be reduced, or the suspension beefed up, to offset the extra electrics. But then again, similar adjustments will likely have to be made for the diesel.

The extra purchase cost of the diesel motor can be financed. The replacement cost of the batteries likely cannot.

Isn't a gas-hybrid that gets 25mpg about the same as a straight-up diesel that gets 25mpg?

From my perspective, I would *love* to have an f-150 hybrid, or an alternative diesel that isn't a $6000 add on!

I got my truck because I needed something to tow my small pop-up trailer that my wife could also drive around town to pick up the kids from school and ferry them around to various appointments.

This seems to be the common case for the majority of 'residential' truck owners. Heavy duty 4x4ing and 'large payload' towing is not a real requirement for the vast majority of truck owners in suburbia.

If my f-150 could get 40+mpg around town.... that would be PERFECT because that is 90% of the mileage the truck receives.

Hybrids are just a way for us to do something NOW about reducing emissions and dependence on fossil fuels.

Sure, they aren't a panacea, and they don't always give you what they claim, but for certain roles, they can really make a positive impact.

Old 11-26-2007, 09:21 PM
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
While it is true that current hybrid technology leaves a lot to be desired; it is a step in the right direction. By purchasing the technology that is now available, it encourages and supports further development. If nobody bought the first computers, which were pieces of crap compared to what we have today, then we may not have what we have now.

Electric F150?

If they could figure out how to get just as much payload & torque - I would buy one.

Old 11-26-2007, 09:42 PM
I agree, this is a step in the right direction, and since we havent found another planet to live on yet, it is gettin more crowded every day, so we have figure out how to do more with less. I hope to see more hydrogen fuel cell vehicles myself. Even though the thoughts of the Hindenberg muster up gruesome images. im down for goin out in a ball of flames as im roastin the back tires!

Old 11-26-2007, 09:45 PM
Suspended
Originally Posted by smentzer
From my perspective, I would *love* to have an f-150 hybrid, or an alternative diesel that isn't a $6000 add on!
the only problem is the design and technology used in the hybrids make them pretty expensive too. Recent test have shown that diesel is cheaper to purchase, cheaper to maintain and also is more efficient. Popular mechanics put a hybric up against a diesel and the diesel won in about every catagory

Quick Reply: Do we need an F-150 Hybrid?