Old 04-13-2015, 12:41 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
Interested in increasing the horsepower in your 5.4L? Forum members suggest various methods to increase horsepower. The methods include:

Read the full discussion below to find out the preferred methods.
          Print Wikipost

Increasing 5.4L Horsepower

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2007, 09:42 PM
          Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
          Originally Posted by B-Man
          We should all take up a collection and pay for Built54 to re-dyno his beast - 1st as-is, then with the headers removed and stock manifolds installed.
          Too late, you'd have to pay him to remove his new engine and blower too.....

I'll be adding longtubes at some point, likely OBX for cost, and will dyno before/after but it won't be anytime real soon. That is, unless somebody wants to take up a collection......

Old 11-14-2007, 09:43 PM
          Received 1 Like on 1 Post
          Originally Posted by B-Man
          We should all take up a collection and pay for Built54 to re-dyno his beast - 1st as-is, then with the headers removed and stock manifolds installed.

I too find it VERY unusual to see such a gain - it makes me think there was an error made in measurement, set-up or something between the two pulls.

No flame, but that is the ONLY mod motor I've ever seen that is supposed to have improved so dramatically with a header install.

I wish I had that kind of luck with mods....
          Kinda hard to do when i have a completely different engine in my truck now. nothing was changed but that, and they were the only mod besides the headswap that I could actually feel, the numbers real.

Old 11-14-2007, 09:49 PM
          hello
          i haven't put the headers on a 5.4 yet
          but looking at the vids post in jbrews thread "finaly freaken done
          you could see a difference just by watching the tach

Old 11-14-2007, 09:52 PM
          yeah like i said, some engines react different, and mine WAS a lot more modified from stock. I had higher flowing heads and higher lift cams, so it was flowing a lot more air than stock, just believe it, i really dont see why you think im making this up, its not llike im making money off you guys buying the long tubes.

Old 11-14-2007, 10:14 PM
          i don't think your making it up.
          i just noticed the difference.
          on a stock engine a 30 horse gain feels like alot
          on a 400 horse engine 30 aint much
          i think people kinda lose sight of their goal when reading ads and projections

Old 11-14-2007, 10:19 PM
          yeah...

Old 11-14-2007, 10:49 PM
          Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
          Originally Posted by built54
          yeah like i said, some engines react different, and mine WAS a lot more modified from stock. I had higher flowing heads and higher lift cams, so it was flowing a lot more air than stock, just believe it, i really dont see why you think im making this up, its not llike im making money off you guys buying the long tubes.
          Sorry, no insult intended !! I don't think you are making anything up at all !

My experience with longtubes has been quite different:

I helped a close friend install a complete stainless Dynatech exhaust (deleted 2 cats; installed 2 hi-flow cats; long tubes; cat-back; x-pipe) on an '04 Lightning with CAI, 6lb. lower, Accufab TB, C&L intake elbow and upper plenum, boost bypass, electric fan, etc. You get the idea - about every mod you can make to a stock block L before you get close to the block ventilation routine...

We also installed a ported blower at the same time.

Took it to have it dyno tuned and it picked up 32 RWHP & LOST torque (5 ft.-lbs.).

Dozens of people have posted that they picked up 25-35 HP from just a ported blower. That is easy to test, because you can swap the blower and re-dyno in a matter of 2 hours or less. I think the Lightning guys are pretty accurate, because if you mod your Lightning, you have to get it tuned. Most of us have many dyno sessions with our trucks, so we know what makes power and what doesn't.

So, if the ported blower added the minimum average reported here (25 RWHP) that means he picked up 7 RWHP from the headers.

Most everyone says headers make a bigger difference on a blown engine than a N/A engine, so you can see why I have a hard time with the 30 HP you made (not to mention that the guy who tunes here has tuned HUNDREDS of mod-motored Fords and he has NEVER seen headers add that much power...)

Not saying it didn't happen for you - just saying I bet it is a 1 in 1,000,000 truck occurrence and newbies should spend their money elsewhere first, unless they just want the headers for looks and sound that is.

BTW - You have quite the bad-*** truck !! Nice job !!

Old 11-14-2007, 10:52 PM
          hmm... i agree but i've heard just the opposite, n/a engines gaining more from LT's than boosted, but w/e lol

Old 11-14-2007, 11:05 PM
          Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
          Well, the problem could be in the tuning, or the combo, or both, because this fella has tuned thousands (not hundreds) of mod motors:

http://www.troyerperformance.com/cgi...gno=122-842230

When he says 30rwhp, I tend to believe him. Impeccable rep.

MGD

Old 11-15-2007, 12:50 AM
          Thanks for all the feedback everyone. I think I'm going to do a bit more research before I dive head first into this.

Old 11-15-2007, 07:32 AM
          Originally Posted by built54

Hey Built! I know this might be a hard question because I would be taking you back down memory lane on your truck but......

Recall your truck prior to ANY mods. Bone Stock, or at least as Bone Stock as you first had it....... If you were to make those longtube headers your very 1st mod, then dynoed with only that mod and compared back to your bone stock HP and TQ, do you think that the 30/35 increases would have been achieved right then and there? I believe that folks are not privy to the point in your mod sequence when the headers were installed.

I can easily see why you did gain such with the intake side already running much better than stock so getting that increase out faster only complemented the whole system.

Old 11-15-2007, 07:35 AM
          Originally Posted by NastyNate
          Thanks for all the feedback everyone. I think I'm going to do a bit more research before I dive head first into this.

Absolutely. I did my research and gathered SKU numbers of what brands I wanted where. Look around, not just here, ask questions, even talk to local autostore dealers that sell aftermarket products and get their opinions on what works and what doesnt. Even better, if there is a place local to you that specializes in trucks then lean on them as a resouce. Used to have one up here, but they closed down prior to me getting my Ford. LOL, actually felt like I lost a friend I never knew when I proudly pulled into their parking lot in my Ford and the store interior was bare and a sign on the door simply saying they are no longer in biz.

Old 11-16-2007, 07:23 PM
          Originally Posted by kaptain
          All those things mentioned will help you. Headers wont really do much except make the truck louder. with this engine in NA format (not supercharged of turbocharged) backpressure in the exhaust is very necessary to make good power. Free it up too much and you will start to see a loss in power. IMO, save your money on the headers. not worth it.
          That would be incorrect.

If that was the case, we'd all be clamoring for clogged catalytic converters.

I have never done that myself.

You are correct in that you could lose power with exhaust piping that is too large indiameter, but that's because exhaust gas velocity is lost.

So, headers, FTW.

(Surprised that one got by everyone...)

Old 11-16-2007, 08:11 PM
          headers are not worth it??? uh lol backpressure isnt everything

Old 11-16-2007, 09:49 PM
          Originally Posted by MGDfan
          Well, the problem could be in the tuning, or the combo, or both, because this fella has tuned thousands (not hundreds) of mod motors:

http://www.troyerperformance.com/cgi...gno=122-842230

When he says 30rwhp, I tend to believe him. Impeccable rep.

MGD

He is saying 30rwhp on a blown Lightning.... We really need to see a couple more sets of results on n/a setups, I see someone on the board just finishing an install but saw no mention of testing....should have gotten to him sooner....

Quick Reply: Increasing 5.4L Horsepower