Truck Starts, Won't Idle, Then Dies --Help!

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2007, 11:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Truck Starts, Won't Idle, Then Dies --Help!

Hey guys,
I've got an '01 F-150 HD with a 5.4L and auto tranny, 140000 km on it, K&N intake and dual exhaust(I don't think the mods have anything to do with it, just wanted to throw them it). This morning I went to start my truck and it fired up, then immediately the rpms dropped and it stalled. I started it up again, and then same thing. It will start then die as soon as the idle drops, unless I give it gas, if I keep the throttle at about 2000 rpm it will stay running but the exhaust smells very very rich, and if i hold the idle at about 1500 it will just stay running, and sound like it has a very lumpy cam. I changed the fuel pump relay, and it didn't really seem to do anything, maybe made the idle just abit smoother, but the truck still dies as soon as you start it. I changed the fuel filter about 1000 km ago, same with the spark plugs, and the coil boots. I talked to a few different guys and the general consensus is that it might be the EGR vave, or the MAF sensor. And I think it might be one of the coils? But if it was a coil shouldnt it just not be running on one cylinder or something, but stay idleing? Also I got a letter in the mail about a recall for a speed sensor that I still need to get fixed, could that have anything to do with it?? I don't really know what the recall says the speed sensor could effect? I did a search and read similar problems that you other guys have had like this, but nothing was quite like the problem I am having, so if anyone can steer me in the right direction that would be awesome! Riding the bus is really starting to suck and i've only had to do it for one day so far. Thanks!!
- Greg

Old 10-26-2007, 11:28 PM
check your vaccum lines.

may sound dumb but are you using the factory key? many of them have chips in them, without a chip they just start and die.

Old 10-26-2007, 11:34 PM
I'd check the IAC and clean it. While doing that, I'd clean with MAF sensor cleaner the MAF sensor and clean the throttle body with t-body spray. Seems common this time of year with acting up IAC's so I myself would place my chips there to start. Do the other things while you're at it. After re-reading, it might be a coil too. When mine went it was because I drowned it while going through a big puddle. Only 3 hrs later did it start acting up. No real pattern to it's stuttering and it wouldn't die. Later, it seemed fine. Next day it was at it again. Hard to tell, no idiot lights?

Old 10-27-2007, 12:24 AM
Okay I'm going to work on these things you guys suggested tomorrow morning. There are no idiot lights, and i plugged in my OBDII code reader and it said there were no codes either. This will be my first time cleaning the sensors and throttle body etc, any tips? Also about how many vacuum lines are there just so i have a rough estimate while i'm in there. Also yeah I am using the same key I always use, I believe its the factory key, I don't think there is a chip in it though? I could be wrong. Thanks alot

- Greg

Old 10-27-2007, 12:35 AM
if its a big black key then yes it has a chip, look for an offset opening for the keyring. i have a 99, so from 99-01 i cant imagine they changed too much.

as for cleaning, keep one thing in mind, if the tube is totally clogged carb cleaner wont help, you would need a solvent tank for that. vaccum lines? well, unless you have a super charger, every rubber hose is pretty much a vaccum line.

Old 10-27-2007, 01:14 AM
Okay yes well my key is definetly the factory chipped key. I will start cleaning everything tomorrow and hopefully (fingers crossed) get this truck running. I found a little article

http://www.fordf150.net/howto/throttlebodyclean.php

that I will probably follow while i'm in there cleaning

I'll let you all know how it goes tomorrow

Old 10-27-2007, 02:18 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
That's a good idea and don't leave this one out -

http://www.fordf150.net/howto/clean-...low-sensor.php

Old 11-05-2007, 05:23 PM
Replace your IAC. That is your problem. I had the same exact issue with my truck. The IAC was sticking.

Old 11-05-2007, 10:29 PM
It ended up being very simple. All it was, was a hose that fell off my air intake. Once I put it back on the truck started and stayed running. The fuel pump relay sure made a difference in the power though, it is like night and day from before, I was very impressed. Not bad for a seven dollar part.

Old 11-06-2007, 01:50 AM

Yea , That must have been your "IAC" hose..

Old 03-04-2013, 01:07 AM
05 f150

I have a 2005 Ford F150 with a 5.4L, 3 valve auto transmission. I had to replace the engine 11 days after I bought it. With this engine, I've replaced all 8 coils, new spark plugs, new sencors. It's throwing a few codes, one says "system too lean" & "system too rich" & now it won't stay idling after it warms up. can anyone help me here? I'd appreciate it.

Old 03-04-2013, 07:00 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 05Red
I have a 2005 Ford F150 with a 5.4L, 3 valve auto transmission. I had to replace the engine 11 days after I bought it. With this engine, I've replaced all 8 coils, new spark plugs, new sencors. It's throwing a few codes, one says "system too lean" & "system too rich" & now it won't stay idling after it warms up. can anyone help me here? I'd appreciate it.
05red....whoooweee next time just start your own thread

Holy thread resurrection;

the thread that you posted to is from a different generation (2V), you have a 3V engine... so things are a bit different. I don't think that your 3V has a IAC on it. So the best thing that you might be able to clean is the throttle plate.

Old 03-11-2013, 08:31 AM
Hey enriched...... U have no need to be such a jerk!!!! I was trying to do this from my cell phone.... But I'm gonna guess that your one of those guys that thinks they're prefect.... Guess again...... Oh, and one more thing... I'm not a guy either !!!!! I'm a pure woman but knows her vehicles too....so jerk off

Old 03-11-2013, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by 05Red
Hey enriched...... U have no need to be such a jerk!!!! I was trying to do this from my cell phone.... But I'm gonna guess that your one of those guys that thinks they're prefect.... Guess again...... Oh, and one more thing... I'm not a guy either !!!!! I'm a pure woman but knows her vehicles too....so jerk off
Holey hell, - enriched wasn't that way at all. He was trying to help you. How in the world does that make him a jerk?

He's a sucker in this case. Good luck finding help, you'll need it now.

Old 03-11-2013, 10:13 AM
glc
Received 759 Likes on 703 Posts
I don't care whether you are a guy, gal, or an "it" - you are apparently lacking in people skills and have essentially just shot yourself in the foot for getting any help on THIS forum. Good luck getting your problem resolved.

Quick Reply: Truck Starts, Won't Idle, Then Dies --Help!