Good battery, good alternator, but no charge

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2007, 09:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good battery, good alternator, but no charge

I am more than a little frustrated. My truck cut out unexpectedly while driving. All gauges went nuts and to zero and then the truck died when I turned on the headlights.

Clearly, the battery was running all the electrical stuff until she gave up the ghost. But a trip to Autozone and the battery checked out as good. Same with the alternator.

But for whatever reason, the alternator is not charging the battery. What are the likely culprits? The guy at the parts store suggesting checking out some fuses in the power box under the hood - nothing looked broken. The battery fusible link looks in tact.

Where else should I look?

I need help fast guys.

Thanks in advance.

Old 10-24-2007, 01:16 AM
I had an issue with the battery and alternator testing out good on the car at least after the battery was re-charged, but the alternator failed when I took it off the car and had it tested individually, maybe try taking the altenrator off, same with the battery.

Old 10-24-2007, 06:23 AM
Originally Posted by theman86_2
I had an issue with the battery and alternator testing out good on the car at least after the battery was re-charged, but the alternator failed when I took it off the car and had it tested individually, maybe try taking the altenrator off, same with the battery.
Actually, that's exactly how i had it tested. Both were pulled off and taken to the store.

Old 10-24-2007, 07:57 AM
Originally Posted by Sphinx
I am more than a little frustrated. My truck cut out unexpectedly while driving. All gauges went nuts and to zero and then the truck died when I turned on the headlights.

Clearly, the battery was running all the electrical stuff until she gave up the ghost. But a trip to Autozone and the battery checked out as good. Same with the alternator.

But for whatever reason, the alternator is not charging the battery. What are the likely culprits? The guy at the parts store suggesting checking out some fuses in the power box under the hood - nothing looked broken. The battery fusible link looks in tact.

Where else should I look?

I need help fast guys.

Thanks in advance.
You can't tell if a fusable link is bad by looking at it. It really sounds like the fusable link on the alternator output is bad.

Old 10-24-2007, 09:22 AM
Originally Posted by 06 So Comfort
You can't tell if a fusable link is bad by looking at it. It really sounds like the fusable link on the alternator output is bad.
Where is that located? Is it the one on the positive terminal of the battery? And how do you test it?

I *may* have found the problem. I am suspecting that it is the large "D" connector that goes on the alternator. It's a bit loose and comes off with a tiny tug. Are those known to get tired?

Old 10-26-2007, 09:11 AM
Originally Posted by Sphinx
I *may* have found the problem. I am suspecting that it is the large "D" connector that goes on the alternator. It's a bit loose and comes off with a tiny tug. Are those known to get tired?
Problem solved. $8.58 for a new plug from Advance Auto. Not sure why, but with as many miles as are on this truck, guess the plastic on the old connector may have warped. Spliced it in, and good voltage now.

Old 10-26-2007, 01:48 PM
Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts
All you need to do is use a voltmeter to tell where the alternator charge is being stopped.

The alternator regulator has to sample the battery voltage level to set the alternator charge level.

Your making it harder than it needs to be for troubleshooting.

There is only three parts to the system. Battery/connection circuit, Alternator and it's regulator.

Quick Reply: Good battery, good alternator, but no charge