replacing injectors on 1988 F150 4.9 inline 6 cylinder

Old 09-13-2007, 12:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
replacing injectors on 1988 F150 4.9 inline 6 cylinder

I need help getting to and replacing fuel injectors on 1988 F150 4.9 inline 6 cylinder. It has an electronic fuel injection system that sits on top of motor that covers the fuel injectors and fuel rail, does the electronic fuel injection system have to be removed to get to the injectors, and does any other parts need to be removed to get to them. Any help or info with this would be appreciated. i have looked for a repair manual that would help but have had no luck in finding one to cover replacing injectors.

Thanks
Tom

Old 09-13-2007, 06:45 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
A) That's not the "fuel injection system" - it's just the upper intake plenum.

B) Your injectors probably don't need to be replaced. They almost never go bad. If you're having driveability issues, tell us what the symptoms are & what diagnosis you've done.

C) Yes, the plenum has to come off to get at the injectors, and it's not very difficult.

D) If you want a Ford service disk, e-mail me.

E) For any questions about pre-'97 Ford trucks, you'll find a lot more info & activity on FSB.

Old 09-13-2007, 07:21 PM
Thanks Steve83, The truck has one of the fuel injectors leaking fuel badly. i could probably replace just the o rings. the truck has had a bad miss to it at idle and at normal driving conditions but as soon as i stand on it the miss disapears compleatly and runs verry strong and smooth. but as soon as i get off the gas and drive at a steady speed it starts to miss badly again it misses so bad at times it is almost bucking. i have had it to several shops including the Ford dealer, $700 later still missing. we have changed plugs,wires,cleaned throttle body,changed fuel filters. i dont think that the fuel pump has been changed. i have tollerated this miss for along time. but it has gotten so bad that it is un drivable. i just had the motor rebuilt at 183,000 miles and it still has miss. i am just a little lost on were to look other than injectors and fuel pump.

Thanks
Tom

Old 09-13-2007, 11:38 PM
Originally Posted by bk racing
I need help getting to and replacing fuel injectors on 1988 F150 4.9 inline 6 cylinder. It has an electronic fuel injection system that sits on top of motor that covers the fuel injectors and fuel rail, does the electronic fuel injection system have to be removed to get to the injectors, and does any other parts need to be removed to get to them. Any help or info with this would be appreciated. i have looked for a repair manual that would help but have had no luck in finding one to cover replacing injectors.

Thanks
Tom
i have the I6 and the intake is a handful of bolts and vaccume lines to take off just replace the gaskets and get a chilton maunal for 1987-1996 its what i got and its great napa or kragen sells them for $20.00

Last edited by bricelittle; 09-13-2007 at 11:41 PM.
Old 09-14-2007, 01:17 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
The truck has one of the fuel injectors leaking fuel badly. ... i am just a little lost on were to look other than injectors and fuel pump.
So you've determined that an injector is leaking by the process of elimination??? Wrong. That's a good way to waste a LOT of time, money, blood, sweat, & tears.

Start over and diagnose it methodically this time. Have you done a compression test yet? Fuel pressure? Vacuum? Have you tested the ignition system or plug wires? ???...
i have had it to several shops including the Ford dealer, $700 later still missing. ... i just had the motor rebuilt at 183,000 miles and it still has miss.
Money doesn't fix problems. If you paid someone to fix your truck, and he took your money, MAKE HIM fix it. If he can't or won't, get your money back. Especially if it was a dealership - Ford national will help you if you've been ripped off by someone with their name on the building.
we have changed plugs,wires,cleaned throttle body,changed fuel filters. i dont think that the fuel pump has been changed.
Neither does swapping parts. Never change a part unless it TESTS bad. So start testing stuff. A Haynes manual & a cheap multimeter are EXCELLENT investments. A Ford service disk is even better.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: replacing injectors on 1988 F150 4.9 inline 6 cylinder