cam phaser replacement...do it yourself?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2009, 07:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Iowa
I had mine replaced 2 months ago. the ticking didn't go away. Ford tech said that they all do it and that is should be nothing to worry about. Mine sounds like a bucket of bolts if I hold it right around 950 rpms. Not sure if it is the phasers again or not, because they werent the noise before...
is it possible the old phaser already hurt the lifters?

getting ready to fix ours and the mechanic said that one of the lifters is making a good noise. going to replace lifters and the phasers.

ours is an 05 and has progressively gotten worse since day one.

Old 03-06-2009, 07:23 PM
Originally Posted by bmw4422

getting ready to fix ours and the mechanic said that one of the lifters is making a good noise. going to replace lifters and the phasers.

the cam phasers noise is just a noise they dont hurt anything.

Old 03-07-2009, 05:12 AM
Originally Posted by R1Rider31
Man am I glad to read that. I too can hold mine right at 950-1000 RPM and it sounds exactly the same. So this isn't a problem? I've already had both phasers changed but that was 70k ago.
They told me it wasn't. But I think that there has to be away to get rid of the noise. Mine is worse/louder when towing. I am starting to get pissed off because when ever I drive around town people look at my truck and think it sounds like a POS! I'm going on vacation for a week starting monday. I called Ford and told them to fix the noise or buy back my truck. I am leaving my truck at the dealer. I will let you know what I find out. And you can count on me talking directly to the tech that works on my truck.

Old 03-07-2009, 05:18 AM

Thanks for the heads up. I am definitely going to bring this up to the tech on Monday. So sick of my truck sounding like a POS! Especially after the salesperson told me the tick was from it sitting for a couple months and that it would go away. I reminded the owner of the dealership of this tidbit and he replaced my phasers free. "the squeaky wheel gets the grease?"

Old 03-07-2009, 06:55 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
phaser

The way i understand them.
There is a pin (like)..its piece of metal with spring behind it.
Thats what makes the noise. it gets worn on the end.

Why can't we just replace that piece?

It comes out! Wouldn't be cool...A 5 or 10.00 piece

Then you think...hmmm...if they could do that, why in the hell do we or they need to replace the whole dang unit???

Old 03-07-2009, 09:30 AM
Thanks for the heads up. I am definitely going to bring this up to the tech on Monday. So sick of my truck sounding like a POS! Especially after the salesperson told me the tick was from it sitting for a couple months and that it would go away. I reminded the owner of the dealership of this tidbit and he replaced my phasers free. "the squeaky wheel gets the grease?"
report back what you hear, that is if the phaser can hurt the lifters.

btw, a price we got for lifters was like 6.xx a piece.

Old 03-07-2009, 10:02 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Watch this vid, episode 22. It is very informative as to the VCT system on these trucks.

http://www.flatratetech.com/index.php?categoryid=4

Old 03-07-2009, 01:46 PM

Will do! 6 or so dollars a piece isnt so bad. But in my situation I still believe the dealership should make it right if they want my business in the future. If they treat me right then they a customer for life. I'm only 21 and I like my accessories. So they should see me as serious money making potential.

Old 03-13-2009, 04:32 AM

Well talked to them today.. they unpluged to cham phasers and said that the noise they heard went away. I didnt know you could just unplug the phasers and I want to know what they mean by the noise "they" heard.... What about the noise I brought it in there for? anyways the owner of the dealership is going to drive it when he gets back either friday or saturday. The tech said he put the truck against a curb and couldnt get it to make the noise.. I told him to take it through a drive through or hook up to a trailer. He thinks I'm full of crap... I think he needs to find a new carreer. I will let you know the outcome

Old 03-15-2009, 05:15 AM
I am getting boned without lube! Jeeze!

I took my '05 to the Ford dealer and got a quote of 1,200 to have the came phasers changed out and "something" tightened up. I will probably have the work down in about a month or so.

I just got so damn tired of hearing a can rattling around my engine every time I let off the gas!

Old 03-15-2009, 09:01 AM
Why is everyone worried about the cam phaser? You want to give the dealership $1200 just to replace a noise. Just doesn't make sense. If its going to hurt something repalce it.

Old 03-16-2009, 02:41 AM
Originally Posted by shepster
Why is everyone worried about the cam phaser? You want to give the dealership $1200 just to replace a noise. Just doesn't make sense. If its going to hurt something repalce it.
I was under the impression that if its not working correctly then it will cause damage?...And in my experience when something sounds like a can of bolts it has meant something is seriously wrong. So yes this "noise" has my attention. I cant afford to replace a motor and cant afford to walk....

Old 03-16-2009, 11:42 PM
I was under the impression that if its not working correctly then it will cause damage?...And in my experience when something sounds like a can of bolts it has meant something is seriously wrong. So yes this "noise" has my attention. I cant afford to replace a motor and cant afford to walk....
I tlaked to a ford tech and he said if a cam phaser completly fails it will do major damage to the engine my 04 is in the shop as we speak but luckily I have the extended warranty the only truck I have ever had it on guess it will pay off this time.

Old 03-17-2009, 02:41 AM
Well talked to Ford today...basically they dont want to foot the bill on something they promised to take care of.....great....and either I drive it with the noise or I pay to have the RH phaser replaced. Anyone know how much this is and/or can I do it myself?
Seriously...Don't make promises your not going to keep.

Old 03-17-2009, 06:29 PM
Well talked to Ford today...basically they dont want to foot the bill on something they promised to take care of.....great....and either I drive it with the noise or I pay to have the RH phaser replaced. Anyone know how much this is and/or can I do it myself?
Seriously...Don't make promises your not going to keep.
Go to flatratetech.com and view episode #22 it goes completely step by step to change a cam phaser and lash adjusters and there are 2 special tools u will need it does not look like a DIY job though at home they have the engine on a stand and it is still a bit of work, FYI I have the extended warranty and still had to fight with ford to do the job, good luck

Quick Reply: cam phaser replacement...do it yourself?