P0012...."A" Camshaft Position - Timing over-retarded (Bank 1)

Old 08-28-2007, 01:14 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
P0012...."A" Camshaft Position - Timing over-retarded (Bank 1)

2004 Ford F-150 5.4 Lariat 4x4.

the trucks ran great since i got it and the other day i took it in for a oil change, ect. once i left the shop i noticed it seemed to be idling a little rough. at first i thought it was a COP since i have experience with those failing. anyway i took it home and hooked up the scanner to it and it spitting out a P0012 code. camshaft over retarded. could this have anything to do with my oil change at all? and is it a simple matter of just advancing the shaft in my driveway?

the guy that did the oil change checked all my other fluids, which i was not to happy about, the diffs, transfer, brake, coolant, trans, ect. is it possible he did something to screw it up.

thanks for any help.

EDIT: this is the only code its throwing.

Old 08-28-2007, 02:08 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Look down through the oil filler neck at the cam phaser trigger wheel, see if it's obviously bent or damaged. I've seen Jiffy Boob shops that use oil hoses/reels leave the wand stuck in the filler neck after pumping oil in the engine. They start the engine and the trigger wheel whacks the oil wand, getting bent and causing erratic cam position readings.

Old 08-28-2007, 02:13 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Man, that would suck.

Old 08-28-2007, 02:25 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yes that does suck.... I bet the chain tensioners bled off and when he first started the chain jumped

Old 08-28-2007, 02:36 PM
u nailed it right on bud, cause something hit something else when i turned it over in the shop right after.

thx for the help

Old 08-28-2007, 02:54 PM
wow that really sux, are you still under warranty?

Old 08-28-2007, 03:06 PM
Received 104 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by built54
wow that really sux, are you still under warranty?
Doesn't matter. Such damage wouldn't be covered under the manufacturer's warranty anyway.

However, a strong case can be made that the shop is liable for the damage and its repair if they did what Quintin suggested.

Steve

Old 08-28-2007, 03:07 PM
yeah that is what I was thinking, but if he didnt mention the oil change, and just brought it in for the code it pulled, would they deny that?

Old 08-28-2007, 03:56 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 02SC4x4
u nailed it right on bud, cause something hit something else when i turned it over in the shop right after.

thx for the help
What does the trigger wheel look like? If it's not badly bent, I've reached down in there with a flat tip screwdriver and dressed them up before.

An oil change guy that works with me did the same thing before, and I didn't wanna see him get thrown under the bus for an honest mistake, so I kinda eyeballed it and straightened the wheel back up (only one vane on it was bent) with a long flat tip screwdriver. I'm not saying that's the proper way to fix this, really the cam phaser should be replaced, but the particular truck I straightened out belongs to a regular customer of ours and that was a couple years ago when I rigged it up.

Old 06-09-2008, 08:26 PM
well, its 10 months later and have yet to do anything about it and it still runs. it has a bit of a rough idle and i should mention that when i first got the code the CEL never actually came on, i just knew something was wrong and got the code before the light came on.
well today, i stopped at a red light and it started going insane, i mean it was like riding a bull, we had just got dumped with some serious thunder showers and i was hoping it would be a COP. well i got the scanner and its the P0012 again.
i never actually got to do what quintin suggested, partly because im not really familiar with engines, and where exactly the cam phaser trigger wheel is. i assume its at the buttom of the oil filler neck but beyond that im lost. can someone point me in the right direction and show me in a pic what and where the cam wheel is.
and, is it possible to actually get to the cam phaser wheel and replace it if it is the culprit or should i just give it to the stealership and bend over?

Old 06-09-2008, 11:38 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
If your not familiar with engines, leave this to a stealership but make sure you ask for Vasoline when you bend over. It will hurt your pocket a bit.
Try to find a good mechanic who owns his own shop. I trust a couple guys over the dealerships for help. You must have someone in the area.

Good Luck ....

Old 09-22-2008, 01:38 AM
im always cruising the forums on the lookout for things in should be concerned about. ive recently come across this post.
https://www.f150online.com/forums/en...ight-side.html
im wondering if im going to be in for the same problem real soon, except it will be out of my own pocket. i should also say that ive put 50,000km(30,000m) on it since i bought it in jan '07.
the first time it gave me the code was a year ago, and i cleared it and went on my way. and the 2nd time i got it was 3 months ago, and the problem stopped after a few seconds and the code cleared no problem.

back to the post, and your opinions. should i be looking to maybe trade this truck in and get a 05 or 06 so i dont have my camshaft crap out on me? are camshafts expensive to buy and have installed?

oh....and the p0012 is the only code i ever got.

Old 06-19-2011, 08:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have been having the same problem except my truck is acting up everyday, and stalls Out on me sometimes. I have also gotten multiple codes like camshaft pos sensor circ errors for both banks. I'm wondering how did you fix your problem.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: P0012...."A" Camshaft Position - Timing over-retarded (Bank 1)