Trinary switch for efan

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2007, 08:17 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trinary switch for efan

Just a FYI post to those who are running efans:
I had just replaced my 2nd fan in 3 years and it was due to brushes being worn out. Since our fan(s) run with A/C regardless if were on the freeway, it has no way of shutting down untill the clutch is disengaged. I found that you can put a Trinary switch or High pressure switch which is sold by classic air($35.00) and others that retrofit a/c systems in hotrods. It goes on the high side of the a/c line and when your pressure is at about 260 psi it turns on your fan. And when it comes down to about 220psi it turns it off. They also come on many factory vehicles, but I dont have a parts book. Once you get air flow through(ie-on the freeway) your high side pressure is usually below 200 psi so you don't need a fan to be running. Its been working good for about 2 weeks so far and should increase the life of my fans by several years. The only issue is trying to get an adapter to tie it in. I currently have the switch screwed into the R134a adapter from my hoses for now, untill I can get back to it and tie it into the fitting on the high pressure switch.

Just thought I would share what I found.

Old 07-31-2007, 09:07 AM
Brownford,
Just curious, can you give more details on where your tying into the line? I am about to add fans and might as well do this also. Can we tie into it without losing pressure on the a/c system? Can you post a pic or at least let us know where you find the adapter to tie into the system?
Thanks

Old 07-31-2007, 11:40 AM
Trinary switch

For now its connected to the refrigerant gage adaptaper reading the pressure on the high side connecter right next to the radiator hose. My manifold gages came with adapters to connect on vehicles with R134. On that same high pressure line you also have a high pressure switch that points to the fender right behind the headlight, it has a check valve so you won't loose any freon, but the switch doesnt srew on it. I think its an acme fitting, not sure as I didn't have time to research. I'll try and take pics tonight and post in the morning. I do know that Ford put efans on crownvics and MK8s, so they should have somekind of a trinary switch that could be used. I just haven't had time to go back and search.

Quick Reply: Trinary switch for efan